Freerolling mentality

akran75

akran75

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
frerol itself is not a house of bad players, but the number of players and the number of prizes set the pace of the game.
when a small number of players and large prize, a frerol is unlikely to play a allin, preflop on weakcard. it means number of player is main argument faster and a bad game some players
-cc frerol member games, are something else again, as many a player, he is guaranteed the experience of many years of playing poker, so it is difficult to compare them with other games where there is always a lot of inexperienced players

jappchop

jappchop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats why i cant wait till i can join the freeroll club to play with some real poker players and no free roll donkeys

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know what OP mean. I really prefer going for "all-in or fold" plan in lower level freerolls to either bust or make a good stack early to save time, and this is usually very effective as long as you even choose your hands even lightly. Other players do same plan without looking their cards so often.

Curious about CC freerolls though, but I understand that the requirements alone show some need of work so not a general bingo-people come in. Or if they come, they have some kind of strategy plan of why they go all-in and when to start playing.

bracadelija

bracadelija

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In many ways I agree and Administration has a lot of good players. But I have suffered the loss of all sense of playing poker freeroll bingo games. A Software programs have become providnikarte in some stages of the game did not matter! With time and every strategy loses its meaning and the whole game!

123andyp123

123andyp123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys are def. correct about the quality of players being better .For now i can only play at the FF and BO freerolls but cant wait till I get approved to be a member of the freeroll club here. Already applied cant wait to get that PM that says im in !!

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Although the quality of players is, for the most part, better in the CC games than most other freeroll tournaments, I'm sorry to say that I have seen the "It's just a freeroll" excuse used on more than one occasion to justify someone's "less than stellar" play.

123andyp123

123andyp123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although the quality of players is, for the most part, better in the CC games than most other freeroll tournaments, I'm sorry to say that I have seen the "It's just a freeroll" excuse used on more than one occasion to justify someone's "less than stellar" play.

Man do i hate this d...n excuse.Nothing but disrespect for the game and the players .Hey bad play is one thing, but totally stupid play is another.And it takes all the strategy and most of the skill out of the game when they play like retards !!:mad: :mad: :mad: :dito:

bracadelija

bracadelija

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People I really do not know how more I watch these tournaments on poker stars. Especially on the bigger tournaments with many players and freeroll tournaments. People paying anything and everything! I'm beginning to doubt in himself, but the more I did not even funny or interesting!

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i been through those growing pains before i know what it feels like it.I would change gear be more aggressive with marginal hands and take some chances.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I originally play freerolls only and I also felt this. I did deposit some cash and now playing at the micros. I would say that frerolls taught me patience and keeping my head when I got bad beat.

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls and small re-buy tournaments ($1 and under) are played pretty similarly- people tend to play super loose and call with absolute garbage. It's frustrating, but like anything else, you get what you pay for.

But otherwise, it sounds like you almost have a set way of playing, which I think is probably the first mistake. You should adjust how you play based on how others are. Start by just paying attention to a single person at the table, keep track of what they limp with, raise with, fold with, etc. Everyone approaches the game differently and not everyone is on the same level of thinking. Most just play the cards.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks to you both. I'm glad to hear that others do look at these freerolls differently. philthy that is what I'm going early. Even though I was tired and really didn't care, the last one I played I caught KQ suited and went all in on the small blind when he raised, and run into AK. Something like that on the one before that. Maybe that's it. I just don't care, and don't know why because I would like to have a few $ on all my poker sites. But every time I sit down to one I promise I will play it differently.

Why not try to approach them with the mindset of > forget about the money. Play them for the experience (as you'll find some decent players in them).

When I play in one, I almost always look at it the same way as anyother tournament I'd play... I'm lookin' to exploit tendancies & weaknesses of others. I'm thinking of ranges, I'm adjusting to effective stack sizes & reads I have on some of the members (they don't all play the same ), I'm making +cEV calls on allins (usually), etc. etc.
Thinking about the 'money', I would think they are not worth it as far as time/$'s goes (unless you have very small bankroll on pokersite or are hoping to build a bankroll from zero, etc.) but they can have alot of value if you're playing in them in hopes of improving your game.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play every tournament like it is for money. I have lost many satellites because I play too tight instead of opening up my range, but in retrospect I play real money more aggressive. I need to play reversed style and then maybe I will have more success than just min cashes..

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not try to approach them with the mindset of > forget about the money. Play them for the experience (as you'll find some decent players in them).

When I play in one, I almost always look at it the same way as anyother tournament I'd play... I'm lookin' to exploit tendancies & weaknesses of others. I'm thinking of ranges, I'm adjusting to effective stack sizes & reads I have on some of the members (they don't all play the same ), I'm making +cEV calls on allins (usually), etc. etc.
Thinking about the 'money', I would think they are not worth it as far as time/$'s goes (unless you have very small bankroll on pokersite or are hoping to build a bankroll from zero, etc.) but they can have alot of value if you're playing in them in hopes of improving your game.

well said PO:congrats::congrats:

I sure enjoy every CC game and other freerolls I play, even if the actual prize is small for the time invested,
just learning how to play different people in different circumstances,
and hopefully learn how you could win more/lose less in every situation
once you know how to identify player styles, it gets easy to run deeper regularly,
and make some final table appearances to boot:)

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend to play these CC freerolls the same way you play a real money buy-in game. You can take notes of the other players because there is a low pool of players playing the same freerolls and you can learn their playstyle.

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tired of Losing also

In the first place freeroll players don't care because he or she have nothing to lose but time. I myself time is worth a lot, most are 2-3 hours depending on the amount of players. Their mindset play any two cards and the crash and burn and just want get under your skin by always all in or wasting running the clock out.
At least here we a better quality play and fewer amount of players. With me
watching how others are coming out with then loosen up or tighten up.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks to you both. I'm glad to hear that others do look at these freerolls differently. philthy that is what I'm going early. Even though I was tired and really didn't care, the last one I played I caught KQ suited and went all in on the small blind when he raised, and run into AK. Something like that on the one before that. Maybe that's it. I just don't care, and don't know why because I would like to have a few $ on all my poker sites. But every time I sit down to one I promise I will play it differently.
I often get bored in the FRs too ... likely do not take them seriously because nothing invested except time. I think maybe both of us need to CHANGE our 'mindset' when playing FRs.

BTW, one can never go wrong by taking Poker Orifice's advice, even PO himself. :)

GL mate.

Last edited:
Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really prefer about million times more to play some 1-3$ tournament with 100$ added to prize pool than 100$ freeroll.

If you want to learn poker, I think you should too. Too bad that so many sites still prefer to keep all their promotional tournaments as freerolls instead of like $1,10 tournaments with added prizes.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my good personal traits has always been my ability to be empathic, to be able to look at things from another person's perspective and understand where they are coming from. However, I have never been able to really understand the freeroll mentality. I think the closest I have been able to come was the time I left in the middle of a tournament that I was leading.

I had just took down a huge pot, after raising with something like A-Q suited. I had a few limpers in front of me, so I made it 5x. I bet out after flopping Qs. I fired again after improving to aces up on the turn. One of the two players still in the hand came over the top of me for all their chips. The other guy called. I figured one them had an ace and the other was probably on a straight draw. It turned out that one of them had a queen with a weak kicker and the other actually was on a draw. My hand held up on the river and I won nice pot.

I didn't triple up because I already quite a few more chips than either of the two players, but pot was big enough catapult me from 4th place into the chip lead. But rather than be pleased, I was going "screw this". Before that hand I had already been wondering why these people kept calling me with these garbage hands. I had played very few hands. When I played a hand, I had always raised. And every time a hand had gone to showdown I had turned over a strong hand that had started from playing a strong starting hand. Then I remembered that I was playing a freeroll.

So before that hand went down, I had already been thinking that I was wasting my time participating in a bingo game. Taking over the chip lead might have changed some people's minds. But winning that last pot, and the way it had played out, only reinforced the feeling that I didn't want bother with this donkathon.

Another player, that I had exchanged friendly words with in the past, had just congratulated me on a nice hand. I thanked him in my standard manner, "preciate it", before continuing on with "but it just occurred to me that I am playing a freeroll and that I could be using this time to do just about anything else... like sorting and filing receipts in preparation for doing next years taxes". I then announced that "I'm going to let you guys have it", and wished him good luck. He asked if I was leaving, in what I took to be disbelief and pointed out that I was the chip leader. I said I knew and wished him good luck again, then clicked sit out.

Okay, so here's the thing. In that moment I could almost relate to the freeroll mentality in the sense that I couldn't care less about playing in it. If I had ran into trips in that last pot, or been sucked out on, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least. I had already come to the realization that I didn't care. I realized that it was just a donkey bingo game and that the payout wasn't really worth the time and aggravation. But that was as close as I could get, because my thing is that I would rather not play at all than to play bad, or at least any worse than I do normally.

So the thing that I can never really understand is why people bother to play if they're just going to play bad. I'm not talking about the guys who don't know any better, the one's who don't really understand the game well enough to realize how bad they really play. I'm talking about the ones that have some understanding of the game, but choose not to demonstrate it, using the excuse that "it's just a freeroll" to explain atrocious play. If you're not going to make an effort to play well, than why bother at all. Why not do something else?

Last edited:
M

murfsyd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like the good part of this freeroll set up is most people are working to improve their game with the people they discuss it with on this site and the feedback would be more positive coming from the same site members. Looking forward some play in them in the future.

A

Alex3733

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't understand the all in mentality. How can you play good poker when a donkey is going in all the time. I prefer to play a $1-3 buyin tourney , but the idiots do it there too! For me it's harder to play online than in person. You can't read a persons tells online.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I look forward to the cc freerolls. I am hoping it will change my attitude and play.

Recently, I have grown into a bad player-tilting and second guessing.

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A whole table full of donks is my nightmare - sometimes it is nice to just win the blinds with AJ late in the tourney instead of having to fade the Q 10 suited 98 off and K7 suited that all limped and then called your 25bb button shove. I played one live tourney where the entire table was at least above average and most very good players and it was the best experience I have ever had in a tournament atmosphere even though I went out 4th out of 55 players when my QQ lost to monsters chip leader's A3 = the final two tables took two hours and the level of poker that was played was refreshing. Give me two donks two average tight players and 3 good players and I'm happy