Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everybody knows that people uses different strategy at freerolls ( play more lose, risk more, etc), how do you guys change your strategy at freerolls? Or you play just like any other tournament?

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to see more of the flop at the beginning of the game, which is without raises, and so increase my stack. Later in the game I see the flop less and filter my card more and more. I use bluff within reason. At the last table, my actions depend on the size of my stack.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I definitely think that in buy-in tournaments, the world plays much more cautiously, those who are used to these tournaments take advantage of these restraints, creating a profitable advantage. You can use strategies of intimidation, bluffing and what goes through your head being sure that if someone retaliates or just pays it's no joke and you adapt.

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Like any other tournament, your freeroll strategy should depend on a variety of factors such as betting structure, blind sizes, number of players, and skill level. However, Freerolls often have a large number of players, which means that the chances of winning are slim. Therefore, aggressive play can be an effective strategy.

Magical

Magical

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
People play looser in freerolls, so there's really no pressure being built. Just patience and make the most of hands when you get them. Namely let them rip into you but if not, a lot of overbets will get through vs middle pairs

Magical

Magical

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
People play looser in freerolls, so there's really no pressure being built. Just patience and make the most of hands when you get them. Namely let them rip into you but if not, a lot of overbets will get through vs middle pairs
Certainly do not exploit in freerolls! Exploiting is massive in paid.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I'm definitely more risk-taking in freerolls, but sometimes I focus as much as in normal tournaments.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everybody knows that people uses different strategy at freerolls ( play more lose, risk more, etc), how do you guys change your strategy at freerolls? Or you play just like any other tournament?
My strategy is to play with strong cards. I play freerolls and tournaments equally, I just patiently wait for strong cards and a good situation. For me, freeroll is the same tournament as any other.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on my mood, the better the mood, the more relaxed you play and more often you achieve good results.:)

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everyone understands that in freerolls you play with a weaker hand more often, because in freerolls blinds change faster. I won't tell you my strategy. But I will: I'm a tight fish! Unexpected, right? I also never bluff. Especially on the flop. :ROFLMAO:;)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
It is never wrong idea to use same "strategy" in every different variant or whatever

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament, you always play with strong cards, then you already play different maps depending on your hand range and then you change your strategy. If players notice that you are bluffing a lot, then you change and play with strong hands if you only play with strong hands, you always change your game as you want to play like in all tournaments

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In general, in freerolls I don't have strategy until the middle or late stages of the tournament since people tend to be crazier in their movements in free tournaments so only chance at the beginning is what sustains me and if I advance to good positions I strategy microlimits

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I totally agree with you! With better mood I play better, with some beer I turn into Phill Ivey 😁
It depends on my mood, the better the mood, the more relaxed you play and more often you achieve good results.:)

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol Freerolls are full of donks and idiots.

Let them kill one another off.

They play too many hands for their skill level and can't fold hand when any competence player wouldn't even bother with.

OOh and how they love Ace x, lol silly.

Same with the low buyin donks.

I play them and watch to entertain myself with all the stupid plays.

I don't need the comedy channel, i have them to watch!

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The strategy is to be aggressive in the hands you play, and always play in position putting pressure on the worst at the table, if you can't identify the worst at the table it's because you are.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that regardless of the buy-in we are playing, we should do our best or just have fun consciously...
(although we don't invest anything when it comes to money in freerolls, we often fail to win...
... depending on how you look at it can - consider yourself a loss! lol ....or worse
... we are leaving a little piece of our life there on that table because time is life and not money!

The game approaches can be a little different as the players' level tends to increase as the buy-ins increase (but this is not a rule).

Usually in the lower fields we tend to play more exploratory games than pretty poker, but it's not a rule either.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
play all the same with a tag style should work.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
To succeed, you need to adapt to the features of free tournaments and learn how to avoid common mistakes. Most freeroll participants play lightly, because nothing is at stake except time.Stop bluffing against unknowns.Don't rush all-ins early on.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't differentiate between a freeroll and a buy-in tournament; I play the same way. But satellites, because of their speed, I play more aggressively, and push more often (all-in). There are also knockout tournaments.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if I play a freeroll with 1000 or more participants with a prize of $100, I play there just for luck, I go all-in with every good hand, if it's a freeroll with higher prizes, then I use strategies like in a regular buy-in tournament

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends of the freeroll. But I definitely use more all in pre flop on freerolls, because if you have a strong hand and go all in pre flop, almost all the times someone will call you.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The lower the stakes the better AK is preflop, because a lot of freeroll players will get it in deep with hands like AJ.

Usually at higher stakes players wont get it in deep preflop with hands like AJ.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Tournaments under $5 are not much different from freerolls, especially knockout tournaments.:)