From the freeroll to buy-in.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys you have the costume to play freeroll and then you earn some money and go play a cash buy-in tournament, do you play like you played the freeroll or try to play like a pro?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello guys you have the costume to play freeroll and then you earn some money and go play a cash buy-in tournament, do you play like you played the freeroll or try to play like a pro?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'costume', but that's a good question!

You should always be flexible with how you play... :)

Be like water, Bruce Lee and Phil Ivey.

Base your game on your opponents and form around/in the object/vessel you need to!

After you've managed that it's in fate's hands... :biggrin:

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No matter what tournament I take part in, I always try to be patient, disciplined and never play with junk. For me, freerolls are just a good opportunity to increase my bankroll.

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, the specifics of the game in the freeroll are slightly different than in the tournament with an entry fee

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If the freeroll is good, then I try to play as well as possible in it, just like buy-in tournaments

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
i don't play like a pro, just play your normal game, and take it from there, table dynamics are very important

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play buy-in, I'm always serious. When I play in the freeroll - I'm serious, but sometimes I can fool around :)

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've done this a lot in building a good bankroll only with freeroll, but nowadays ps is scarce freeroll and it's very difficult for you to play a good freeroll on pokerstars, there's only tournament and cardschat freeroll, and you can get some money Good !

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play them the same except with buy ins I don't have many notes on the players.
I am usually shocked to realize that they are not as good as many of our freerollers :eek:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one will play like a pro at the micros)), it's simply impossible. I mainly focus on the composition of the table and only then choose the options for the game. And there are freerolls where the composition of the participants is much stronger than in the micro-limit tournament, for example, tournaments of our community)).

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I wouldn't say that playing at micro-stakes is very different from playing in freerolls))) Of course, there are small changes, but they are not cardinal !!! In every tournament, whether it's a freeroll or a tournament for money, I try to play to the best of my abilities - I just don't like to lose !!!

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any tournament you are going to participate expect good hands and go to the patient

S

Suuky10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I must admit I player tighter in buy in tournaments. Sometimes too tight and miss out on some hands then go on tilt and lose anyway :(

C

Cigan8521

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no big difference whether you play for money or for a freeroll. You always need patience and focus on results. It's just that there are a lot of players in non-freeroll tournaments who play with garbage, and very often bluff.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've found, that at the low level buy-ins, the play is pretty similar to freerolls, in that the beginning of the tournaments are an all-in fest.

The play gets much more serious at the $10+ levels.

Most tournaments with an under $10 buy-in, I'm usually patient, and let the all-inners play themselves out of the tournament. After they're gone I play like I do with the $10+ buy-ins, and pick my spots.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly I play freeroll to practice my game and then apply it on buy in games.

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll where is most fishes and it stress me out because they just all in all day

S

sttttttup75

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
from freeroll to buyin

I REALLY DONT BUYIN MUCH BUT I LIKE THE SMALL BUYINS AND FREEROLLS OR FANTASTIC

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I just play in freerolls, have fun, increase my bankroll, and then play in tournaments. In my opinion, the main thing is to follow the bankroll management and then the game will bring you pleasure and money.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Free roll vs. Buy in

I have noticed a huge difference between the two games. Free rolls seem to be ‘all-in’ based all the time…. There is no care or professionalism exercised in a free roll until 50% of the field is eliminated. Hopefully, because the ‘all-in’ers’ get caught and felted. Financially invested tournaments seem to have less ‘riff raff’ / garbage players than free rolls. Good luck out there!

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like playing freeroll, no pressure and having fun but I think I will play middle stake or high stake poker when I feel confident in my skill.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Advise would be to play all games as if they are equally the same, putting your best efforts into learning players tendencies and leveraging your skills against the players with weaknesses.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both in the freeroll and in the tournament for money, I play based on the game of my opponents.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
whatever tournament you play, you have to play it serously if you want to win

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My husband and I have talked about this multiple times and we both try to play the same no matter what the game. However, because I am still learning, I do tend to be braver and try to see more flops on freerolls than I do playing tight in a real money game.