Freeroll - All-in from the start

J

JeRazor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play freerolls and often you run into players who keeps going all in most hands if not all hands pre flop. I was just in a tournament where someone went all in preflop about 70% of the time with about 2k chips to gain about 30 chips which is obviusly not a smart thing since you basically don't gain anything from people folding and you risk people with really great hands just beating you out of the tournament

IMO then those people are ruining the game for people actaully wanting to play the game. Their playstyle would be better suited for blackjack or roulette.

So how do you deal with those players so you actually can get to a point in the tournament where you actually are playing the game?

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freeroll

Hello. I think it is a way to play. there are others that are less aggressive and that give better results. I started playing freerolls. and I managed to put together a good bank. I don't feel so aggressive.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Wait for A K or pp and call! It’s free!

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You just have to be patient and wait for the right moment to face it or for another player to face it and lose, in this type of scenario is when the patience of the players is put to the test, many times it is copied to face them because it seems that luck is on the side of them when they play like this, that's why I tell you be patient and wait, do not fall into that type of game

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you. I play a lot of freerolls as well and it’s very annoying for sure. The best way if you have a player like that is to tighten up and only play pots with big hands. If you act before him, don’t raise unless you are willing to call his all in or you will be just throwing your chips away.

L

Lexand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This usually happens in freeroll, but I think it's good, it's a way to win a lot of chips right from the start.
Of course, winning a lot of chips at the beginning is no guarantee that we will make it to the final table, but having enough chips helps a lot.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So how do you deal with those players so you actually can get to a point in the tournament where you actually are playing the game?
I call with great starting hands. I fold everything else. Patience and math will win out!

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That way, starting a freeroll tournament requires a lot of patience. It will never change, it will always happen

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wait for a premium hand and call. He'll give all his chips away eventually. Just hope its you not someone else at the table.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience.....patience.....patience.

Try to hold out, until you get a really good hand, then, make sure that there aren't many other players doing the same thing.

The fewer players in the hand, the less likely of a "luck out".

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just wait them out. I rarely see it end well for them. But, it is a kick in the gut when you have a big pair and their trash ends up hitting.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
As they are free games, most players play with any hand since if they lose they do not lose, they are reversed and they play aggressively to accumulate chips, the best thing about playing with this time of players is to wait for hands without despairing and always taking your position into account. to play aggressive menara always with good projects

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's not a problem but an opportunity to double up or triple up early. :) I welcome such "maniacs". Just call them with a big pair or AK and enjoy!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Typical for many freerolls, the all in players simply like to gamble or possibly don't care very much since it's a freeroll after all. To each his own, not my style but everyone has the right to play their cards as they choose.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against such players, play only tight, because they call with any cards on any flop.
Just do not forget that they also come with strong hands, such as AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, so they can be lucky, they can catch their out on the flop, turn or river.
Such players play poker just for nothing to do, just to press the buttons, they do not understand that the tournament will not end before the scheduled time, no matter how quickly they play, any multi-table tournament will go at least 5-6 hours.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This kind of play is standard nowadays not only in freerolls but even in microstakes MTTs. The idea is to get a big stack early on to make it worthwhile putting time into the game with the goal of making the final table. This is especially the case where the blind levels increase quickly. I would advise to watch when these players are going all in and when they connect with the board as opposed to not connecting. Keep a journal and you will get a good idea of how to play against them.

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you call only with a strong hand , you should be fine. A strategy that doesn't think will certainly achieve equity, but it won't last.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just tighten up your range against them and you'll probably get into a dominant situation with them and double up.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would sit and wait for a good card to respond to such players.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In fact, there are many such players. But for me personally it doesn't change anything. All I can do is wait patiently for good cards and thus help the bingo players finish their game.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not the worst strategy out there. It might work sometimes. Then after you get some chips, you can be more careful.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There are people like that now and then. Your best bet is to watch and wait for the best possible hand first and then hopefully kick that player out of the tournament. Such players are rarely successful in a tournament for long, usually they win a few hands and then someone throws them out of the tournament

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, indeed, these are crazy players and they are not only in freerolls, they can be found at any level of the game unfortunately... Many players come in to have fun and not worry about the results, but there are players, who do not want to play with the starting chips and want to immediately multiply the pot and get an advantage (this is especially seen in tournaments where there is a re-entry or rebuy)...

There is no 100% strategy to avoid this player, but it is worth not going into the game against him, not trying to bluff and play very aggressively against him, but when you have only the best hand... Of course, this is not easy, but the main thing is to be able to control yourself and after 2 or 3 unsuccessful attempts to enter the game, do not give in to his game of preflop all-in ;) Good luck!, it's not easy ;)

H

hidayat1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first round allin? obviously if you have a good hand it is worth trying it, but it is not the best feeling to be eliminated in the first round: D, especially if someone falls out with AA: D and even depends on the level of the competition it still fits in a freeroll, but a obviously you don't want to be knocked out in a money tournament and your money goes away, of course you still have the opportunity to rebuy :)