Folding QQ on bubble?

P

Phil2307

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I recently played a live tournement (200€ buy-in, 235 players) and folded QQ on the bubble (26 paid).
I was on the button. Around 20BB deep and got dealt QQ. There is a raise from UTG who covers me but doesn't have that much more.
At this point we were all quite shallow anyway and most people were close to the push or fold mode. So with that in mind raise UTG, I put the guy on a very strong holding. So I decided to fold.
Then I asked the guy. He had AK... It would have been a flip.
I still think It was the right decision but I'm curious of what you think. Would you have done differently?
At the end I busted 14th with... QQ hahaha. Against AQ. The guy hit an As...:eek:

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I recently played a live tournement (200€ buy-in, 235 players) and folded QQ on the bubble (26 paid).
I was on the button. Around 20BB deep and got dealt QQ. There is a raise from UTG who covers me but doesn't have that much more.
At this point we were all quite shallow anyway and most people were close to the push or fold mode. So with that in mind raise UTG, I put the guy on a very strong holding. So I decided to fold.
I still think It was the right decision but I'm curious of what you think. Would you have done differently?
At the end I busted 14th with... QQ hahaha. Against AQ. The guy hit an As...:eek:

Probably only correct in a Satellite; otherwise, you have additional fold equity (which he's prob not folding AK) but any other hand besides AK you gain fold equity, so against the range yes an all-in is better than a fold for min-cash; but if your game is to min-cash as much as possible then you do you and don't try to win tournaments.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would have pushed all in there. He was too deep to push all in and considering this was the money bubble he most likely would have folded. While cashing is always good, the goal is to win the tournament. Think about how you may have done had you played the queens and doubled up.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think I would try it, and with a raise and continue raising, maybe the other player would think to fold.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If the prize money meant a lot to me I would fold - in a normal tournament push.

(And fold in a satellite, of course).

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a 2-way decision. Folding that hand will get you ITM but at the same time if you shove it all in, you have high chances to be in FT.
So, it depend on if you want your 200€ back with a couple hundreds more or you want it turning into 9000€ by winning the tournament.
I always told myself that in poker there's no right or wrong decision.
Only winning or losing outcome.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I will never fold third best hand in preflop, after just a single raise. You need to use the bubble as an opportunity to increase your stack to run deep in the tournament, because the big payoff always come at the final table.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I confirm. you have made the right decision. personally with an average stack. I do not hesitate to throw my cards and wait to be in the places to pay to start playing again.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have done the same thing. I play to make the cut then play aggressive after I have made it.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in this situation you did everything right. On the bubble it is necessary to play carefully, especially if there is no statistics (HUD) or notes on the opponent.

Sword

Sword

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ yeah. How many times have I burned myself with that witch. It all depends on the game, now I'm careful with it.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think at least you can see a flop with QQ in that case but i understand what you are think at that moment of the game, been there and busted with AA against KK so i know shit happens

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I recently played a live tournement (200€ buy-in, 235 players) and folded QQ on the bubble (26 paid). I was on the button. Around 20BB deep and got dealt QQ. There is a raise from UTG who covers me but doesn't have that much more. At this point we were all quite shallow anyway and most people were close to the push or fold mode. So with that in mind raise UTG, I put the guy on a very strong holding. So I decided to fold.
At the end I busted 14th with... QQ hahaha. Against AQ. The guy hit an As...
hi hi phil :ciao:
for me a poker beginner, hardest thing i learn or try learn, be patience
i luv to play & gamble so i learning fold more, play smarter...
so now i click fold very often

Krista sits at puter, :pcguru:a bit bored watching twitch, shopping for new boots on amazon, read email...
and she click FOLD so often *sighs*
finally along come a queen & another queen & she in position!!!
eureka!!!! finally a hand can play poker, why she register this - to play poker
finally she can PLAY!!!
whoops.... wait ICM say play more cautious, she on the bubble after 2 hours close to achieve monies....
no - hell with it, Krista 3bets!
whoops rats.... flop has a K.... yikes... heck with it - Krista call the raise
at showdown pair K defeat her QQ and get zero monies... showers for her :bath:
Krista cries :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Last edited:
I

Iwuhkage

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was me, i would like put pressure to him by reraise. But sometimes shit happens even we have overpair on preflop. :D

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my point of view it was a very right decision and one that took a lot of self control. The bubble IS a big deal in higher stake tournaments. And the percentage of the prize goes up and up. best of luck.

J

jtpokerface

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely would have pushed. Only two hands beat you preflop. He must be aware of the bubble too! A shove to a UTG raise looks extremely strong anyways.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

On the bubble I dont hate it, as long as thier are a few stacks under 5 BBs.... it would be a disaster if we busted before those smaller stacks.... now if Vil and I were the low stacks, I dont think we can fold ever, unless it's a satty.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Thank U 4 Posting.

What would villain have done with JJ 1010 99 88 AQ AQs KQ KQS here? We know villain raises not shoves AK AA KK but what is villains live- no HUD- scared of being the bubble boy range when just raising? 99 raise fold? AQ off raise fold? How often live do you see villains shoving AQ off UTG for 20 bb on the bubble? But why would villain just fold that hand?

This is always villain dependent so we have to observe how villains play AQ off to know to include it in the range possibility.

Hope this helps

:):)

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldve folded AA online unless i knew i was running hot or felt like giving the program a chance to sink me.I can usually tell by the way the hands have been falling if its going to be a good fold,better safe than sorry more so online than live i thinks.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that that is a rough call. However, I think that even on the bubble QQ is a good starting hand and I think that I would have went for it and pushed with it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even on the bubble this is way to nitty. QQ is the third best starting hand in NLH, and even he is raising UTG, you are still way ahead of his range. I am surpriced however, that everyone wants to jam here. Sure jamming is easy, but being on the bubble and with a somewhat awkward stack size for 3-betting it is certainly also an option to flat and try to play a small pot.

If he really had AK, this would have been pretty easy to play postflop. On A or K high board, you only pay off one bet at the most, and on low boards he is likely giving up, if you call his flop C-bet. Or he simply check-fold, and you take it down.

Sure flatting could induce the blinds to jam light, but with a hand as strong as QQ, you dont even mind that. You just get it in and hope to hold, and if UTG has called, you get out of the way and hope, that one of them bust.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just to elaborate on the above, the mathematical reason, we want to play tight on the bubble, is ICM. There is a high "bubble factor" (literally), which mean, that chips won are worth less than chips lost. However that mostly apply, if we play a big pot. If we only play for 10-25% of our stack, chips won will be worth nearly the same as chips lost.

Also there are around 2,5BB in blinds and antes to fight for every hand, and if we just let other players pick that up all the time, while waiting for the bubble to bust, we are giving up on a significant amount of EV. So we cant be bubble scared to the point of shutting down completely. It need to be some reasonable compromise between making it in the money and chipping up or at least not get blinded away.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, this is the right decision. You played correctly. We want to win money. It is on the buble that this is correct. He could have both AA and Kk. And with his AK you have a flip. So everything is correct.

Folding in Poker