peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone,
So, I am currently playing big $11.
I had this hand AKs, places paid 449, field 450.
Raise UTG 2.23, UTG1 called I folded.
What would u do in this situation?

Attachments

• fold AK.jpg
    fold AK.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 106
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone,
So, I am currently playing big $11.
I had this hand AKs, places paid 449, field 450.
Raise UTG 2.23, UTG1 called I folded.
What would u do in this situation?

Thank you for posting.

19 BB after we call is still a playable stack so at minimum it is a call.

The UTG range and the UTG1 range both have weaker Ax and KXs in them so we can raise and not be only crushed by AA KK or flipping versus QQ etc.

We are also suited so we can flop pair and flush draws so again a call is equity positive compared to a fold. We are also in POS so this hand at this stack depth is 0 folds for me.

We also are not playing tournaments to just cash them. So we can raise decide if we get shoved on by the UTG and we think they are shoving only AA KK QQ AK. Then we could fold for a min cash.

Also if the min is really important we use our time bank to take enough time off the clock that someone else goes broke before our hand finishes.

We time bank then 3 bet then time bank again if UTG shoves. If they just call we time bank every street unless we hit a monster on the flop like flopped flush.

That way we get to play for the double our chip stack and possibly get the min cash even if we lose the hand.

Hope this helps
:):)

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So that seems like an adequate answer above my response, so I'd just like to ask you back, what hands are you calling, shoving or 4b even? w. 19 BBs if any? :)

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call. because SB and BB could fold. And then with the flot on the board I could go all in, or fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, this is a very easy jam preflop for a little over 20BB. You have one of the best possible starting hands in NLH, and there is even some dead money out there from the guy, who just called. The pot size is already around a third of your stack, so picking this one up is very meaningfull for your chances of getting a deep run.

Yes it sucks to be the bubble boy, but if you mainly focus on cashing, then you should not play these large field MTTs. Then you should play 6-9 man SnGs instead. The whole point of a tournament like this is the big money for the top finishers, so you have to focus on that and give yourself the best chance of winning them.

Besides you are not always getting action, and when you get action, you are not always losing. The realistic worst case scenario is, that UTG folds, and then maybe UTG+1 with the big whale stack feels, he is priced in to call with his 77-TT. In that scenario you have almost 50% equity and a big overlay of dead chips in the pot. Its also possible, you get called by a hand like AQ or AJ, and then you are in fantastic shape.

Once in a blue moon you will run into AA or KK, but you block those hands, so its much more likely, they have something else. With the tournament presumably being in hand for hand mode and 450 left, its also quite likely, that someone else will bust in the same round, and if they had a shorter stack than you, you still cash.

Folding here is simply way to nitty, and I also dont like calling and letting 2-4 other people into the hand. If you call, you will still have to stack off postflop, if you hit a pair or a strong draw, and you are still going to bust some percentage of the time. So calling does not take away the risk, you might bubble, and jamming is both easier and more profitable.

Artur22277

Artur22277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As professionals say AK as Ana Kurnikova looks strong in tennis but does not win often, so if the opponents are tight and raise from this position, it means they have strong hands.:)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being "just" ITM isn't worth much more than your buy-in, sometimes less. I'd play the hand like any other time and hope to double up. My "goal" is not to place, but to place well. Yes, I have gone out more than once one away from being ITM, and will continue doing so if need be.

W

Well Enuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice from Greg. Play good hands like they are good.
I also like what eetenor says about managing your time bank if it will help you get into the money.
That merges your two manageable assets. Stack and time.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We can of course use the ICM here. But we have to make a few assumptions. Since only one place is missing for the prize money and you still have over 20 blinds left, you will probably get 100% of the prize money if you fold. If you call your chances of getting the prize money will decrease because you might lose your entire stack with this hand. But you may have the chance to get more prize money if you win.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As only 1 player should relegate, and around 50 tables are running (there is a good chance someone else is out in this round), and you are not so sort stack, definitely call, if SB, BB raise, then fold. On the flop, if I have the A or K without straight, flush chance, I keep calling, even the allin against 1 opponent, especially if it is the UTG+1, because of his stack-size. And he exactly knows the same, it is not yet ITM.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah so you have roughly 20 BB so calling a min raise is fine and see the flop. I would fold after the flop if the board doesn’t connect

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a problem with that.

Fold and move on.

AK is still ace high, you don't even have a hand. If you had a big pair I would want to see a flop, AK is a judgment call.

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to raise you otherwise you will be outplayed by some 52 two pairs

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK suited is a very strong hand to fold for a mini raise, even though it is a tournament bubble, I think we have to call at least see the flop.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming this tournament has a normal payout structure, I would shove. Yes sometimes you will get called and will lose but this is a great opportunity to get more chips and get closer to the bigger prizes. I think shoving here increases your expected winnings from this tournament, and while it greatly increase the variance of your winnings from this tournament over the long run that will all wash out as long as you are making the +EV plays.

And if you were really concerned about the bubble I think you can still at least call, hope the blinds don't shove, and see what flops in position.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for posting.

19 BB after we call is still a playable stack so at minimum it is a call.

The UTG range and the UTG1 range both have weaker Ax and KXs in them so we can raise and not be only crushed by AA KK or flipping versus QQ etc.

:):)

shoving or 4b even? w. 19 BBs if any? :)

I call. because SB and BB could fold. And then with the flot on the board I could go all in, or fold.

I think, this is a very easy jam preflop for a little over 20BB. You have one of the best possible starting hands in NLH,

And if you were really concerned about the bubble I think you can still at least call, hope the blinds don't shove, and see what flops in position.
Well. If I didnt play against the UTG more than 70 hands and knew he opened UTG 2 times I'd jam, UTG+1 is a loose cannon, he is a gambler. two hands ago he called QQ with 67o and for the last 10 hands he went to showdown about 5 tomes and never folded one hand.
From my perspective. I can call, and lose 2.5 chips if the flop doesnt help, even turn or river and keep calling with AK to the chip leader, who is agg pf.
I can Jam, he will call anyway, UTG will fold unless he has AA/KK/AK/QQ, 1/4.5 times we will split the pot.
So, after using the 90 sec of my time bank, no one was out so I folded. As it happened, I remember UTG doubles up with a set JJ because our friend the chip whale kept calling.
Common sense dictates to 3bet or shove AKs, but the logic says chose your battles and ur opponents wisely. Moreover, I did register in this tournament at the late reg period after I was knocked off cardschat freeroll. I started the tournament with 20 BB and managed to make it to the 4th money jump. I lost to a 3way pot with 4bet -jam PF AA to QK who covered my stuck and the OR had TT. The very same whale. Moral of the story. Dont get involved in pots with gamblers.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fact that you folded such a strong hand is beautiful, but I think you played wrong.I put everything in such situations in spite of the bubble.Whatever it was, as they say, pass the chips saved;)

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bare minimum I'd try call to see the flop and if you get there then make a decision. Your losing money in the long run folding there. Also wouldn't be afraid to re-rasie

webzy

webzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your priorities

Good question and many good answers above.
So, depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you just want to get ITM, then fold and wait until you are. But if you want to really advance in the tournament, then PLAY like you don't even know there is 1 player to the money.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would just shove all in because ak suited is a very strong preflop hand and its only dominated by aces and kings preflop however since you have blockers of both its less likely that any of your opponents had aces or kings.
also you have to consider that at that point the tournament was playing hand for hand so even if you busted you might still be in the money so i cant see myself folding ak suited in that spot.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would just shove all in because ak suited is a very strong preflop hand and its only dominated by aces and kings preflop however since you have blockers of both its less likely that any of your opponents had aces or kings.
also you have to consider that at that point the tournament was playing hand for hand so even if you busted you might still be in the money so i cant see myself folding ak suited in that spot.
Considering BB/100, AK cost me 269 BB so it is one of my least fav hands, I used to shove with it, now I play it like any other hand.unless a flash/ straight involved.

Stasey

Stasey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy 3-bet or all-in here.Very strong hand

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded as well. Just trying to place in the money.

T

tiltedskill2130

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would make the call for sure and if someone shoves i can still fold and have chips to make the money. I understand folding to make a min cash but chances are you have one of the strongest hands going into the flop. hard to weight whats more important to you a min cash or going deep into the money

Folding in Poker