First Hand is a Walk

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What would you think of the quality of the players at the table if the first tournament hand was a walk for the Big Blind?

Would you think the players are tight?

Would you think the table is full of suckers?

I actually experienced this once in a live $200 tournament. All 10 players were seated and saw their cards. Usually there would be a lot of limping at a minimum. And the button didn't even raise the blinds!

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yer it’s definitely rare, but I used to experience it at specific venues in higher stake games. Though I’m pretty aggressive Andy was known for it lol. Had KK once and snap all in only to walk into AA lol. I sucked out and got a straight after he flopped an A in the window... The T then Q river was a beauty along with his £50 bounty chip 😎

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't know that I would recommend assuming much of anything based on the first hand of a tourney; well I might recommend it, but I sure as hell would not do it. ;)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't know that I would recommend assuming much of anything based on the first hand of a tourney; well I might recommend it, but I sure as hell would not do it. ;)
Not sure what you are saying Kenzie.

Could you be more specific?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the quality? really? If I don't know they, I can only presume half of they are "afraid" and others received bad hands, but if they are good/bad, tight/aggressive, only can be discovery during their plays in the tournament. also this is a very rare scenario, a walk in the first hand.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I would think I landed in nitville and I would be smiling, hopefully I'm correct lol:cool:(y)

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One hand wouldn't be enough information for me, they could have all gotten crap hands and didn't want to get frisky.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure what you are saying Kenzie.

Could you be more specific?
Making judgements based on the first hand of a tourney? Noting this sure, but judgements? By the way, if you are talking live poker just ignore my comments, haven't played live, other than casual games with friends & family. for years.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making judgements based on the first hand of a tourney? Noting this sure, but judgements? By the way, if you are talking live poker just ignore my comments, haven't played live, other than casual games with friends & family. for years.
Yes it was live. Ten handed table and like I said - everyone present and looked at their cards.

A walk is unusual enough - but the first hand?

Well - why "note" it if it doesn't mean anything judgement wise?

If the entire table didn't want to get frisky with their garbage - doesn't that tell you something about the players? Maybe that they are tight or sane? lol

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't think everyone should be judged the same way on the first hand, I could think of many reasons why an opponent decided to make such a move, intelligence, style of play, bluffing, just a stupid player, and other reasons. I think we need more hands to draw conclusions

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands