Final table

Redbull199030

Redbull199030

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have reached the final table of a major tournament chip leader which strategy would you choose? Tight or aggressive?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
If you have a clear chip lead then you should hammer those short stacks down. Be aggressive but not reckless.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play aggressive. The big stack gives you more chances to push your opponents because most of other players with small stacks will play tight. I think tight strategy is not the best option in this case

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely look for spots to hurt the smaller stacks. Don't necessarily try to go after the smallest stack but look to pressure the 2nd and 3rd smallest stacks as they should be a little weary about busting out before the smallest stack on the table does.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Don't appoint yourself the 'table sheriff' but definitely apply pressure..!

It's not 'one or the other' for me but a mixture of both...

Life isn't black & white and neither is poker!

For the sake of argument and answering the OP:-

AGGRESSIVE!

I feel like you should adapt your style & strategy in response to your opponents, not the size of the tournament...

Whether it's a $10, $1,000 or $100,000 FT, you should be playing your best game..

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strategy at the final table

First please think whether it isn't so whether you are short stack now.

And when your turn has come, please think how many people are on the table now.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you need to play, any any situation, the way the table lets you play. You need to play aggressive with the tight players. You need to still try and trap the loose players. Too many people adjust their play to the situation ignoring the tendency of the players. I have seen big stacks try and bully in a situation where the small stack has no alternative but call the all in, even with say 6 10 or 3 J. Sometimes you just cant fold and especially if the big stack has been stealing everything. If a person is constantly folding to the pressure then pound them, But be careful, you may not want a call with inferior starting cards. You also want to consider how much damage can this player do to your stack. You dont want to constantly lose flips to the smaller stacks and allow the 2nd or 3rd place in chips take over your position.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the table! If you have a chip lead or at least 2x, then it's time to play super aggressive.

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In big tournaments the people that make it to the FT are usually skilled and experienced. Short stack will not play anything less than a strong hand for the number of players, their position, the action before them and the ICM pressure on the people in their left.

I just been in one of this getting in FT 9/9 but managed to exit 3d. The big stack was on my left and he lost it half way through the FT by going all in repeatedly with legitimately strong hands but got called by AA by a medium stack - which also won the tournament later.

The best play as a big stack in FT is to wait because you have a lot more to lose than anybody else. Play strong hands in late position, conservatively. The big stack never exits before 3d place if they are patient

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on the table! If you have a chip lead or at least 2x, then it's time to play super aggressive.

Sounds wise to me.

'I see your post... and I RAISE you another one!' ;) :laugh:

In big tournaments the people that make it to the FT are usually skilled and experienced. Short stack will not play anything less than a strong hand for the number of players, their position, the action before them and the ICM pressure on the people in their left.

I just been in one of this getting in FT 9/9 but managed to exit 3d. The big stack was on my left and he lost it half way through the FT by going all in repeatedly with legitimately strong hands but got called by AA by a medium stack - which also won the tournament later.

The best play as a big stack in FT is to wait because you have a lot more to lose than anybody else. Play strong hands in late position, conservatively. The big stack never exits before 3d place if they are patient

Quite possibly my favourite post on this thread so far!

I made a FT once, we were seated at the FT and tourney went on break immediately (before the 1st FT hand).

The blinds went up after the break and at the new level, my stack = 1bb.

Don't think it gets much more 9/9 on the FT than that..!

Now of course when you're that short, luck/running well is a huge factor, but if you are able to get a couple of triple ups and a double (or whatever) you suddenly might have around 30bb and you're relatively playable again... Never say never!

That right boys & girls, I won that FT, from 1bb..!

That's one of a handful of poker experiences that I doubt I'll ever forget, until the dementia kicks in anyway...

Chip & a chair everyone, it's true...

Are you my grandson? :icon_bigs:icon_scra

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When it's your night, you don't even think. You just win.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As many have said already, you definitely want to loosen up your game a little bit, if you have a solid chip lead. There is simple math behind this, because losing chips is going to be much worse for your opponents, than it is for you. This mean, you can apply, what is sometimes know as ICM-pressure to them.

Simple example: Its 4 left, you have 40BB, everyone else has 10-15BB. This is a great spot to push all in, because the three other guys will typically be very focused on trying to outlast each other and level up 1-2 places before taking on you. If the final table has just started, having the chip lead often tend to mean less. The first payjumps are small, and people will tend to gun for the win rather than levelling up.

B

Boreyko506

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play it on the map, with all sorts of rubbish I do not play aggressively. As an example, recently I played a tournament chip leader and played aggressively, to no good it has not resulted. He doubled up the short stack, and departed from the tournament because I played all the hands.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it all depends on my stack and my position in the ranking of this tournament. if my stack is large. I usually decide to play tight and wait for good spots. otherwise I play aggressive but with good cards.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
adapt

When that happens i don't just make a decision to be one way or the other but , as chip leader i do use my strength, and take advantage of the opponents weakness.
It can be a good way to lose all your chips if you think your large stack can bully without consequences.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would try to beat smallest stacks with aggressive play for sure. In a careful way, waiting a chance to pull the trigger. If I know other players before final table I will use that information to pull their chips. Definitely I would stay sharp as a knife, looking what others do, win some pot with good hand and show afterwards 1 card, so next time when I will be bluffing, they to think that I have good hand. In simple way play steady and try to not make crazy bluffs, re-raises who can cut my big stack.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give ICM pressure for the players and increase your stack. Aggressive is the key to win.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I gave 5 × the whole table ;)

I've been there where I could never lose a hand in live games and online games when you have twice or more the amount of chips of the whole table combined you have to (sheriff) your table and make people pay with mid hands med blinds comparable to your stack. Gl dominators.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 × the chip on the table 😁

I've been there on live tables and online tourneys as well. I play sheriff at any point possible. When doubling someone up 3 or four time doesn't dent your stack play ball. Gl everyone.