jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Yesterday morning GGpoker gave me a $25 ticket to play in a satellite tournament to qualify for the tournament I describe in the title of the note.
Due to time reasons I was late to this satellite tournament and was able to qualify for the big tournament that was played 10 minutes after the satellite ended.
In the Overlay I had an important hand at the beginning of the tournament where I got KK in MP1 position against an Open Raise from a player in UTG I reraise 3 bet, and the player went all in for me 175 bb. In truth, the situation was quite uncomfortable for me because starting the tournament with the possibility of leaving in a total confrontation put me in a difficult situation, although after using half of the time bank, I considered that the postflop hand I had was the 2nd most strong and only one could beat me, so I paid.
The player showed AKo and my KK lasted the entire showdown, so from the start I was able to put myself in a calm situation.
As he progressed through the tournament he won some small pots, nothing important, just to continue accumulating bb to try to reach the second day.
When they changed my table, that's when a pretty big drop began because in truth I practically didn't have any hands to even play with. To make matters worse, at the table was the player who at that moment was the leader, and two more players who were also with a very big stack.
In general, it is quite difficult to play against them, because they open up a lot of hands, and if you don't even have cards to play, it becomes very complex.
After 5 hours of tournament, my stack had dropped to 25 bb. I couldn't even have all-in steal situations. Only one who received QQ in BB with a 23 bb stack, and faced with an open raise from MP1 and a call from another player on the button, I analyzed the situation because there was the possibility of doing a Squiz in 10 bb and trying to get someone to pay and get a good low flop or are even better set. But after analyzing for a while I went all in, because I considered that one of these players could enter with a garbage hand and flop, and my situation would be very complicated because with 13 bb or so in that hand I would have to go all in and they would surely pay me and ma They would win, so I decided to do it from the start. Before my allin Squiz neither of the 2 players paid.
I stabilized that hour at 30 bb, mostly juggling to maintain the stack, because the cards that came to me were not the best like everything else on that table.
The 1st day closed when there were 968 players left in the tournament or at level 25.
We were at level 14. To my right they had eliminated a player and a player came in who, if I remember correctly, was Ukrainian, and he began to open a lot of hands, which took him from an initial stack of 110 bb to 63 bb in a short time, which led me to think that he was possibly a recreational player. As I mentioned, I had hardly been able to play hands against him or against anyone. My position was still 1400 out of 2700 players, so I was waiting for decent hands to play.
At one point I get AKo in UTG and I do a normal openraise at 2 bb. The entire table folded and this player who called on BB went straight all in 60 bb.
At that moment my time bank was almost full so with my 30 BB I had to analyze for a long time to see what decision to make. The first thing was to see the level and I saw that in 30 seconds I reached level 15 which gave me a stack of approximately 23 bb. Afterwards I thought that there could also be the possibility that since in the entire 3 hours at the table I had hardly had any decent hands to play, it could happen that I would not get a similar hand again and would have to risk the tournament with a garbage hand. Then quickly analyze why this player made such a sudden move, there could be the possibility that he had AQ, AJ, or other stealing hands, but consider that to make that move his range was in hands like 88, 99, 1010, JJ even same AKs or AKo, because premium hands like AA, KK, QQ are generally not played that way against an Open raise. If there had been another player's call to my Open Raise I might have considered him playing a Premium Squiz hand that way. And above all, the fundamental thing is to consider that he was a recreational player, and that his movement was not going to be appropriate for the situation.
After analyzing all this, I very quickly made the decision to call because I considered that my hand was strong enough to do it in position.
Show his hand and sure enough the villain had JJ.
The flop was J8K, the turn was 8 and I had the chance to hit the K on the river, unfortunately I folded because the river was a 9.
After finishing the tournament, greeting the villain with the “good hand” logo, I began to analyze the hand in detail to see if I had really made a mistake, more than anything thinking about the possibility.

First of all, I thank GGPoker for giving me the opportunity to play this wonderful tournament.

If you want to make a comment about what you thought of my experience, go ahead.

Hugs and Greetings to all!!!:):):)

Carlos/Jonasalg

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hi Jonas,

was a pleasure to read about ya tournament story ;-)!
i dont think that you made a mistake because when ya stack come to a small size and you have to act and not only react because that is always the weak action you take, so i would have played it same way like you because nobody wants to wait till you have no option with 3-7BB where you only can go all in before antes drop you to 1/2BB ;-).

in my opinion there always days where you can feel that this wont be ya big day and it is always a big decision to find out which will be the best hand when i´m small stacked and fighting for tournmanet life!

greets and gl my friend