Effective Stack Size Considerations in Multi-Way Pots

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all!

Regarding the concept of effective stack size, I am curious if it should (or can) be applied to multi way pots. Consider this example.

In a 9 handed poker tournament, the action folds around to hero on the BTN with a 100bb stack. SB has a 90bb stack, and BB has an 80bb stack.

I understand that when it's heads up, the effective stack is the smaller of the two. But in the example above, is it useful to consider the SB's 90bb stack to be the "effective stack" that I would play to accordingly?

Here is a more complicated example: Suppose I am UTG with 130bb, 7 other players have 60bb, and the remaining player has 75bb. Is it useful to consider the 75bb stack to be the "effective stack"?

This question has come up for me since I've just finished reading Jonathan Little's 1st volume of his trilogy, "Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker". He has guidelines for the size of your opening bet based on stack size (125bb+ open to 3bb, 70-125bb open to 2.75bb, etc.)

Are Little's suggestions based on your own stack size, or the "effective stack size" of the remaining players (the amount of big blinds you stand to lose). Consider my 2nd, more complicated example. If I wish to open the pot under Little's guidelines, would I open for 3bb (based on my stack size) or would I open for 2.75bb based on the effective stack size of the remaining players?

Obviously, if your stack is shorter than any of the remaining stacks, you can size your opening bet based on your own stack size.

Final question: I'm overthinking this, aren't I?

ps. First post in several years! And the post before that one must've been several years prior! Hope to post more, and see some familiar names :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not 100% positive on this but I think, in your 2nd example, you'd open to 2.7 BBs because the most you could lose, effectively, is 75 BBs.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not 100% positive on this but I think, in your 2nd example, you'd open to 2.7 BBs because the most you could lose, effectively, is 75 BBs.

That's what I would tend to think, as well, if Little's guidelines were based on the effective stack size, not necessarily your own.
I'm still not entirely sure what he intended though, since any information I've found on the concept has stated that effective stack size is only relevant in a heads up situation. Little himself refers to effective stack size often, but I cannot tell if he expands the concept to this degree.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's what I would tend to think, as well, if Little's guidelines were based on the effective stack size, not necessarily your own.
I'm still not entirely sure what he intended though, since any information I've found on the concept has stated that effective stack size is only relevant in a heads up situation. Little himself refers to effective stack size often, but I cannot tell if he expands the concept to this degree.
I haven't read his book or know for certain, but I think what he might be saying is to base your open on a worst case scenario.

Lets say you're on 100 BBs on BTN. SB has 54 BBs, BB has 77 BBs, and UTG has 60 BBs. The most BBs you can lose in this situation, if you raise and are called is 77 BBs. So, you have to adjust to that open size.

Last edited: