Easy trick to cultivate a winning attitude

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never really thought about it this way.. You bring up a very interesting point. I think I will be employing this method from here on out.. It could be just what I need.. I find myself occasionally scouring the leaderboard, and being a believer in the law of attraction, this could be what is bringing on earlier exits than I would like sometimes.. I hope to report back shortly with some success using this method.:D

sure. I mean I don't think this is a "strategy" or an "omen" or anything. I think it just trains your eye and mind to focus on the end goal. Keeps your priorities and goals in mind.

it probably depends on your natural style too. My natural style has always been to survive as opposed to what may be considered the opposite mindset which is to accumulate or build a stack.

accumulate----->------->------>balance<--------<---------<-----survive

I naturally linger on the right side of that continuum unless I actively pull myself toward the center through pep talks, or visions of success, or memories of success or whatever.

I guess this thread and idea I have is much more about the mental game of poker than any specific tactics.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm probably not doing it right. I look for the first decent payout well after the bubble and set a goal to get there, then try to come out swinging afterward. I think it's a survivalist and laddering mindset, and probably has me arriving there with too few chips most of the time, when I get there at all.

Good topic. I will try it because I'm nursing baby bankrolls on most sites right now and need to take something down for MTT buyins.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good topic. I will try it because I'm nursing baby bankrolls on most sites right now and need to take something down for MTT buyins.
It might help if you stop thinking you have multiple small bankrolls and switch to thinking in terms of one BR that includes all the money you're willing to use for poker, including, if applicable, money that's in your pocket and/or bank. Thinking you have a separate small BR on each site can tend to foster nursing those rolls, which isn't optimal.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a large field tourney, I think it is better to aim for the bubble first if you are close to it because doubling or even tripling your stack will only give you a very small chance for the final table. So you are risking your buyin for a very little gain in most cases.

In smaller tourneys, I see no problem at aiming for the top.

JustDestined

JustDestined

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know I never gave much thought to this, but as it turns out I'm a bottom of the board looker myself. I think I will try leaving it at the top for a while and see if it effects me.

lykahios

lykahios

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hey gogog for the first positions always hya that to fight for the glory