Earning bb from sitting outs

F

FunkyMonkB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hey guys, kinda new to this online poker thing, but today something peculiar happened.
I was playing free sit n go and got to the best 3. I was 3rd, with similar stack to the 2nd and the 1st was way ahead. Now I notice that 2nd sat out. I was kind of suspicious of how the system worked for sit outs, but was still not sure, so I just observed. As it seens, if you sit out, you have to pay BB and SB but you fold to any bets. So I called and confirmed that I received the BB just by doing that. 2nd returned, I went all in, 2nd lost.
Now I am against 1st, with less than half of his stack. I suddenly get a huge hand, I go all in. He tanks. And tanks. Clock is out, he sits out. I proceed to press CALL as fast as I can. Around 10 rounds doing that and I end up REVERSING the stacks completely. Now I have like 12bb and he has 2. He plays like 2 rounds, call my all in and loses to an ace high.
Now my question is: was that like "disnohorable" or dirty to do? I mean, with the huge stack advantage I got from it, it practically made him lose morale completely and give up...
I'm still trying to learn poker strategy so I wanted to know your thoughts, you know, like when in online games you have those unwritten rules that everyone tries to follow, like some kind of "online poker good maners" or something.

Also, I thought that this story was very peculiar and worth sharing.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Time is money, including your own. If the other player is not at the table and the game is going, you have no obligation to wait for them.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Ya snooze ya lose.... if you were sitting out they would do the exact same thing, happens to everyone👍

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If a player disconnect, then most sites will give them some extra time to reconnect. How much depend on the site and the tournament. In a freeroll it might be nothing, while it could be as much as 2 minutes on the final table of a high stakes MTT. During the extra time the tournament clock is stopped, so blinds dont go up. As for the etiquette part maybe you want to show "sportsmanship" in a game, which is shown on stream, as some of the largest MTTs are. But other than that everyone just takes the blinds and are happy for the free chips.

Coincidentally I just lost my connection to pokerstars, and apparently the problem was on their side, since I closed the client, and it then took ages for it to start up and allow me back in. While at the same time websites loaded rapidly, so my internet was perfectly fine. I was playing 3 SnGs, and when I came back, I had cashed in two of them, since they were 50/Fifty and on the bubble. But I would likely have cashed with more chips, had I been able to sit in. The last one was an 18-man also on the bubble. There I had been blinded down from 6BB to <1BB and ended up as the bubble boy.

The point here is, noboby waited for me to come back, so this is just part of the experience of playing online poker for better or worse. But in the long run it tends to level out, since I also benefit, when other players disconnect. Plus sometimes people sit out, because they choose to do something else, and then it is absolutely 100% their own choise, and you have no obligation to wait for them to come back.

F

FunkyMonkB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
You guys are commenting and it got me thinking: I was under the impression that when you blow the clock, you are forced to sit out for a certain period. Isn't that how it works on PokerStars?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You guys are commenting and it got me thinking: I was under the impression that when you blow the clock, you are forced to sit out for a certain period. Isn't that how it works on PokerStars?
If you run out of time including the time bank, your hand is folded, and you will be sitting out, until you click the "I am back" button. Its up to you, if you do that after 1 second, 5 minutes or 1 hour.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I honestly don't think there is an unwritten rule about this, but it is a tournament, when you register for a tournament what is your intention? sure to win, go as far as possible... you can't wait for someone who is absent, your investment of time is worth a lot, when you are absent no one is going to wait for you and they will take advantage of your absence, that's how it is...

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, if someone is not in the game, no one will wait for him because it's not your fault if the player is not there at the appointed time, so if he loses his chips, it's not your fault, take his chips and that's it, if you're not there, your chips will also be taken away just if you enter the tournament, please come on time

F

FunkyMonkB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
If you run out of time including the time bank, your hand is folded, and you will be sitting out, until you click the "I am back" button. Its up to you, if you do that after 1 second, 5 minutes or 1 hour.
Oh well, that was enlightening. I always wanted to know what happened when the time was out, but never had the guts to actually try it because I was afraid of being forced to sit out. So the worst thing that can actually happen when you are out of time is that you are forced to fold. Not that bad really.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So the worst thing that can actually happen when you are out of time is that you are forced to fold. Not that bad really.
Kind of depends on the situation. If you have AA preflop, and someone have moved all-in, then you really dont want to time out and be forced to fold :)

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys, kinda new to this online poker thing, but today something peculiar happened.
I was playing free sit n go and got to the best 3. I was 3rd, with similar stack to the 2nd and the 1st was way ahead. Now I notice that 2nd sat out. I was kind of suspicious of how the system worked for sit outs, but was still not sure, so I just observed. As it seens, if you sit out, you have to pay BB and SB but you fold to any bets. So I called and confirmed that I received the BB just by doing that. 2nd returned, I went all in, 2nd lost.
Now I am against 1st, with less than half of his stack. I suddenly get a huge hand, I go all in. He tanks. And tanks. Clock is out, he sits out. I proceed to press CALL as fast as I can. Around 10 rounds doing that and I end up REVERSING the stacks completely. Now I have like 12bb and he has 2. He plays like 2 rounds, call my all in and loses to an ace high.
Now my question is: was that like "disnohorable" or dirty to do? I mean, with the huge stack advantage I got from it, it practically made him lose morale completely and give up...
I'm still trying to learn poker strategy so I wanted to know your thoughts, you know, like when in online games you have those unwritten rules that everyone tries to follow, like some kind of "online poker good maners" or something.

Also, I thought that this story was very peculiar and worth sharing.
Stealing those blinds is in no way a bad thing.
There is another strategy if the sit outer is a massive chip leader and the others are short or ultra short
and tournament is at or near the bubble (2 or 3 players left).
Here to siting out is perhaps a greed heater.
The greed to get this dead money leads the other players to eliminate themselves with weak holdings (that they use to steal or think they have to protect their share on that dead money).

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The last thing you want to be is a sitter limper, you should be aggressively going after the dead money.

Unless the icm tax is too high you should be trying to pick up all the dead money you can.