Early play in rebuy period

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just in a $5.50 rebuy on CP pushed with JJ against 99 9 on flop so i rebuy shortly there after flop a set bet big called bet pot called pushed on turn called
villan hit river flush had no other draw and there was 1 heart on flop turn and river made flush WTF CP???

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Equity in general means your percentage of the chips you would win, on average.

Fold equity is the chips you win the percentage of time that your opponent just folds.

You have zero fold equity whenever you call. You can only have fold equity by making a bet.

Example:

an opponent with pocket 4s raises to 1000. You go all in with AK for a total of 3,500 (or 2,500 more). The blinds fold leaving their 600 in the pot. If he calls AK has 45% equity vs 44. So you'd stand to win 4,100 45% of the time or $1,875. And 55% of the time you'll lose the entire $3,500 you put in so -$1,925 making the play as a whole a loser by -$50. So, on the surface pushing with AK right here is a losing play.

But wait, there's more. As the person pushing all in you have at least SOME fold equity. It's not an exact science, but you have to figure that some % of the time he will fold to your bet. Take a guess. I'd guess that 25% of the time he'll fold.

that means, 25% of the time you'll just outright win the $1,600 in the pot. So your fold equity is $400 (1,600 x 0.25). If you thought he would fold 10% of the time, then your fold equity would be $160. If you thought he'd fold 50% of the time then your fold equity would be $800.

So, you add the fold equity to your regular equity to find out the profitability of the move as a whole. In this example, if we think he'll fold 25% of the time to our shove, then shoving with AK there is $400-$50 for a total profit of $350. Basically, with fold equity on your side a lot of borderline decisions become +EV.

That is why, in general pushing all in is better than calling all in in almost all cases.
Thank you very much I appreciate the exp;lanaytion i have a good understanding of what fold equity is obviously it depends on your read of the players at the table the tighter the play the better the Fold equity/.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How you decide to play a rebuy is not as important as determining how the folks at your table have decided how to play them.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How you decide to play a rebuy is not as important as determining how the folks at your table have decided how to play them.

very good point!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going all in every hand. Is that a good strategy?

Not sure if this is a real question or not but I'll play along.

There are times when open jamming quite frequently is an ok strategy. Example: bubble. You have a monster stack and the table us full of a bunch of smallish medium stacked nits. You can raise all in quite liberally and only expect to be called by premiums which won't happen too often and youve still got some equity. Maybe at a 7 or 8 handed table you could shove every 3rd or 4th hand and get away with it, at the right table.

But if you're shoving EVERY hand then even NITS will realize it and adjust and then you'll lose your fold equity which is your major asset in these spots.

So, in short....NO...don't go all in every hand

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! When I play tournaments with re-buys, buy chips from the start of the game! This gives the advantage early in the game and the ability to put pressure on the opponent. In these tournaments, I try not to make the addon, and to accumulate enough chips before the beginning of the period add-on! The exception is when the addon is 4-5 times more rebuy! As a player with little experience should start to play tournaments without rebuys
I was talking about re-buy tournys not add-ons but thanks for the thought anyway.

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play an MTT, I would love to be able to tag someone in for me. I make chips often and early.. Usually in the top 10 by the end of late registration. Then I get beat up and bluffed, and sucked out on. I often wonder what the difference is if it is me or this happens to everyone. Just have to keep picking my spots and hoping for the best.
Thank you for the advice and for the chart I really appreciate it and I think it will help me quite a bit.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a few different strategies... Just think what type of player are you? Conservative? Aggressive? etc...

I play ultra tight on a single bullet and take full advantage against those maniacs who want to just repop until they chip up... works fine

IF you feel more aggressive or decent rolled for the tourney you can just keep repopping until your satisfied with ur amount of chips to have a decent launching pad... But this you will need to know how to change gears.

L

losties

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re buy tournaments are always tricky. People are quite loose and raise you quite often. I suggest play it safe and be a little tight. That's bcoz usually in re buy you get heaps of limper and if you have a monster it pays off quite well.

P

pokrshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we should stick to the tight play even in that early stage. But, we can definitely take advantage of those loose players who go all-in every time they re-buy, by recognizing them.

Slawa1986

Slawa1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really like to play tournaments with rebuys! In these tournaments I start doing rebuy, and then play exclusively on the card, catching fish with pocket jacks and above!!! The addon also need to do this will strengthen your position!