Donk betting.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looking for opinions and advice on donk betting. I usually never donk bet but I am seeing more players aggressively betting into the preflop raiser. Do you donk bet or not? Reads on the donk better ?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would't want to play like a bad player and you should't either.Take a note on said player and trap him when you get a premium hand and send him packin! :deal: and always thank him for the chips!

JulioJones

JulioJones

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah stay away from anything donk lol.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
donk bet? Is that a term actually being used now?

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find donk betting is becoming more common from good players but it is never very balanced.

You have poor players donk betting with weak marginal holdings and good players donk betting with 2 pair plus and good draws. You just have to work out which type of player you are up against.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A donk bet is when the person out of position after the flop raises or bets into the pre-flop aggressor.

Example: You raise pre-flop from BTN and Big Blind Calls. Flop comes up whatever and Big Blind Bets instead of checking it. This bet from the Big Blind is a Donk bet. Dont ask me why its called that, but that is what it refers too.

If you are out of position against pre-flop aggressor, and you check, he will most likely c-bet even if he missed flop. Thats why it is better to check-call or check-raise instead of donk betting.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think donk betting has its place when playing poker. While I don't recommend doing it I will on occasion donk bet out when I have a monster hand or monster draw with several players in the hand and can be confident someone has something that would be able to call my bet as I want to grow the pot. Again this is very rarely done by me.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think donk betting has its place when playing poker. While I don't recommend doing it I will on occasion donk bet out when I have a monster hand or monster draw with several players in the hand and can be confident someone has something that would be able to call my bet as I want to grow the pot. Again this is very rarely done by me.

Very true - but it is never a balanced play - you are never doing this with a bluff into multiple players.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

always been a good way to describe a bet made into the raiser out of position :)

Well, call it whatever,what is the best to combat it. Seems to be fishy but very polarizing.

I agree fishy but not sure how to combat it. if you make a nice raise with AK and get called,
then get a crappy flop and he donk bets big, then you have a difficult decision, you may not be good even if you float and hit.
they are doing it more these days and it works, it's a tough call even with a premium pair.
knowing how the player has been playing is the best way.

I'm not much on advice just saw this and thought the same thing about them doing it more these days. I just play it by ear :)

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is usually one or the other:
- A donk better because they do not fully understand the strategy on position.
- Betting into a donk because you believe they will call/raise and you can build the pot.
- If you dont fit into either category, you need to return to page 1 of basic poker strategy and reread.

SoCal

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donk bet is good to use when you hit something very good on the flop and against an aggressive player! Aggressive players usually raise donk bets and this is what you want when you hit a monster flop!

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think i'm not a donk betting player but there are some moments, when you became unsettled, and start off making mistakes

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think i'm not a donk betting player but there are some moments, when you became unsettled, and start off making mistakes

Ihor, donk betting isn`t mistake , it`s just instrument of poker game like Cbet etc.:)

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This thread is weirding me out.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I very rarely do Donk in most cases this is a raise !!! rivals usually perceive Donk as a weakness and show aggression !!! although to achieve the goal all means are good and if such a function exists in poker then sometimes it should be used !!!

F

fievr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The donk bet can be profitable depending on the situation and opponent, usually from the BB in a particular situation and with good reading, A short example, a mtt middle stage, 2 players in the hand, BTN (nit player) opens x2 , 5 sb folds, BB (hero) calls, the board comes 458, deducing that the villain is a conservative player, you can make a donk bet, that board is very favorable for us in the BB, since usually a player of that kind you may have premium cards, and have not connected on that board

betty the rake

betty the rake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For my freerolling low stakes tourneys, nothing says give me your chips like the donk bet. If I'm up against it with some newbie or using it as just another tool in my kit to break some patterns and get action.. The levels and complexity of poker allow for some random erratic plays esp. against weaker players.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I also behave like an ass for raising pre-flop bet. I think the reason is a good card in the hand.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've seen a lot of players doing this and i think the secret lies in the bet size. the bigger the raise, the better the hand

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looking for opinions and advice on donk betting. I usually never donk bet but I am seeing more players aggressively betting into the preflop raiser. Do you donk bet or not? Reads on the donk better ?

Donk bet is mostly an over sized bet post flop. If you see an open raise pre flop and then a re-raise, regardless of the size, it shouldn't be considered a donk bet.

For example, you hold KK, someone open raises pre flop, you shove. It is over sized, aggressive as you say, but it is not a donk bet really, more like, I am not sure how to play post flop so let me just shove while I am ahead.

However, let's say you made a call with KK, board is A high, Villain checks and you shove, then it is considered a donk bet (very bad bet that is oversized and will not get you value, and can only get you to lose chips).

In general, try avoiding making those, also call them only when you actually have something, like TPTK, sets, probably some FD/SD combination is also fine to call with.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donk bet is mostly an over sized bet post flop. If you see an open raise pre flop and then a re-raise, regardless of the size, it shouldn't be considered a donk bet.

For example, you hold KK, someone open raises pre flop, you shove. It is over sized, aggressive as you say, but it is not a donk bet really, more like, I am not sure how to play post flop so let me just shove while I am ahead.

However, let's say you made a call with KK, board is A high, Villain checks and you shove, then it is considered a donk bet (very bad bet that is oversized and will not get you value, and can only get you to lose chips).

In general, try avoiding making those, also call them only when you actually have something, like TPTK, sets, probably some FD/SD combination is also fine to call with.

For the purpose of this topic when I say “donk bet” by definition this basically means someone betting post flop into the preflop aggressor before the original raiser acts. I understand the concept you made but I think you are misunderstanding what I meant by donk bet.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i've seen a lot of players doing this and i think the secret lies in the bet size. the bigger the raise, the better the hand

I agree that many times a bigger bet implies a good hand but I have been seeing donk bet bluffs as well. But for the most part credit is given for a monster hand. It is very polarizing. I’m glad I’m not the only one seeing this trend.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donk bet is good to use when you hit something very good on the flop and against an aggressive player! Aggressive players usually raise donk bets and this is what you want when you hit a monster flop!

Good point and thank you for the advice.

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that it is a bad move to donk bet, but in rare cases it works sometimes.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars