Does the presence of antes greatly affect the width of the all-in calling range?

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Here's a spot for a shove from CO when we're on the BU calculated in icmizer for an effective 6BB stack with no ante in play.[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Push range for CO: 22+, A2o+, Kto+, Qto+, Jto, A2s+, K4s+, Q6s+, J8s+, t8s+, 98s-65s, 97s-75s, 96s.

Stacks are equal for everyone. Game 6max, blinds 125/250 no antes, CO push 1500. So the calling range for BU:

1614a31625f116978e4cfaa8ad84347a.png
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
I'm wondering if the calling range will be greatly expanded if antes are added in the game.

P.S. I can’t count it, because no icmizer app for mobile...

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will never see a spot where there are no antes and such short stacks. All the tournaments that ive played for years now have had antes from the beginning of the play too, but if there are no antes at beginning of the tournaments and people go all-in for huge stacks preflop, having antes in play wont make a huge difference then

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
With such small stacks, the difference should be big, because initial pot with ante 2.1BB, and without ante 1.5BB. And the difference will be even bigger if it's a 9-max game (2.4BB vs 1.5BB). It doesn't matter that in poker rooms there are no games with entry levels without ante, this is not about that...

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Belfish, I push this same situation in icmizer again. The range chart not changed basicly. But the chart changes a lot (in this same situation 6bb push CO) when I change the stacks of players, antes and the blinds. If you have the hand history of this play, I analize for you.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's just a little strange to me that the calling range does not change with such a difference in the initial pots. I thought at least 7-10% will be added to the spectrum...

Interesting especially for the case if 9-max game. After all, shoving 6bb into a 2.4bb pot is not at all the same as shoving 6bb into a 1.5bb pot )) Here i generally assumed that the range would expand by about 15-20%...

You can post a screenshot of any spot (or 2 spots) with unequal stacks for opponents for whom you say that the difference is significant. Maybe it help to understand some patterns in close situations in future games with different stacks.

P.S. After all, when there is an ante for a 6-max case, it is tantamount to a situation as if we called from the position of the SB (not BU), but without an ante. That's a big difference!

Last edited:
Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 6 bb stack calling ranges in LP are already stretched out so much to include pretty much all hands that have decent equity so there's not that much room to widen up without being reckless, perhaps a 1-2% increase with normal antes can be expected.
However if you're in one of those huge antes tourneys at GGPoker then the difference would be much more significant.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It is also very, very interesting how different our shoving range with the same stack (from the range of calling all-in) on the BU position if CO does not push, but mini-raises.

P.S. On the other hand, if he min-raises with this stack, he's too committing to the pot and it's probably the same as all-in...

Last edited: