Does buy in cost effect your play style?

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Formerly yes, I later realized It's best to keep your style,independently of this

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ideally buy ins shouldnt affect our playing style, but i believe that i am mostly playing scared or overthinking my decisions when playing above my bankroll limit

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when u start thinking like that you'll eventually wont play your A-game.
I was like that when I started out , but now I just try satty to the game or I won't play it

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with many that have said that the buy in generally shouldn’t effect your play style, but I believe there is one thing you should be more inclined to do as you move up in stakes—which is to balance your range.

This is because the higher you play, the more regs there will tend to be. Of course this is a generalization and there are exceptions, but speaking to most situations, the more regs there are in your game, then the more you should be concerned about balancing your range in as many situations as possible.

bonekeeper

bonekeeper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As previously stated it shouldn't affect your gameplay, however for most people includeing me it surely does.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the buy in will always affect your style of play because it is a game that involves variance and however much you play the right game at any time you can lose all your chips and consequently you lose a big slice of your bankroll.
When your bankroll is well matched with your buy in you do not worry about losing your chips at any time you just want to play long term knowing that your decisions will be profitable by playing many hands. If the buy in bother your bankroll a lot you will not be able to maintain your style of play and will play with much more caution.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Definitely. I always try to play games where the buy-in doesn't overwhelm me mentally.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Well, you can get used to it. I the end of a tourney, it can all come down to a coin flip no matter what the buy in was.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes sometimes it does affect not having a big bank roll where you end up making wrong decisions on the table in order to play more safe to make it to a final table and it back fires when you know you should of done the call that could of gave you the boost to make it to your goal either the money or final table and instead your busted even before that.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It shouldn't, but unfortunately it does.
well that's your solution:
It shouldn't affect your play style if you have proper bankroll management.
most recs just 50-100$ so playing a 11$ tourney feels different than playing 1$ tourneys. if you have 10.000$, you don't bother about a 11$ tourney.
so with proper BRM it should not effect you too much because your game will suffer if you think like that:
I wish i could play the same at every stake but unfortunately the higher the buyin the more cautious i play. I think its one of my biggest flaws.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ideally only to the extend, that player pool tendencies will be different, and its reasonable to adjust to these. At very low buyins, a lot of players wont fold anything, so why waste chips trying to ram it down their throat.

In reality however, if I play freerools or buyins, that are way below my bankrool, I do tend to care less about busting. So I will sometimes call or shove a bit lighter to either dubble up or be done with the whole thing.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buy-in is strongly influenced my bankroll! I had $ 105 and I went on the limits of 0.5 / 0.10 for the day to me was $ 21, and the next day I lost all my money. I played in the same way as in the previous limits and that was my big mistake :mad:. Do not repeat my mistakes!

K

kientek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me this is not a doubt. we can not play his A game if we play on buy-in that we can not afford to lose. We must always follow the rules of management of banckroll to hope to achieve good results.