Do you think I did the right thing?

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
75o all-in ?? Of course, you could have some considerations in this particular situation based on statistics or personal observation. But since you were eliminated from the tournament, it means that you with such a hand went to an opponent with a larger stack than you have. It's amazing how you made it to the final table with such mistakes.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
75o all-in ?? Of course, you could have some considerations in this particular situation based on statistics or personal observation. But since you were eliminated from the tournament, it means that you with such a hand went to an opponent with a larger stack than you have. It's amazing how you made it to the final table with such mistakes.

I took the original post to mean that he deliberately went all in with 75 trying to bust for the consolation prize of $500. He later regretted it and considered if he made a mistake.

There is a precedence...Chris Moneymaker considered trying to bust for $8000 :D

S

scrappypower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we all can use the cash but if your mad at youself then you did the wrong thing

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely think that you did the right thing. The question is, do you think you did the right thing. Depending on my bankroll at that moment, there have been times when I definitely wanted the ticket. But there have been other times when I would have preferred to finish in that spot before the ticket and took the cash. I've never been able to manage to finish in that cash spot when I was trying to. The one time I did, it was a brain fart.

We had been playing on the bubble for quite some time. When the bubble burst, it immediately registered in my brain that we had all won tickets. So when someone jammed on the next hand, I called thinking the outcome of that hand would be moot, since the payouts had been set. I completely forgot about the one cash spot that fell short of the ticket's value. I lost that hand and a bunch of chips. I was surprised when another hand was dealt. Then I realized my mistake. The next hand I picked up a big pair, but lost and got knocked out when four suited cards, of a suit that I didn't possess hit the board.

At that time, it didn't matter to me one way or the other. I had enough money to buy into the main event if I wanted, but preferred going the cheaper route. I think the value of the ticket to the next step was $500-ish. The cash spot payed $380-something. I shrugged, checked to see my new balance, and went back to step one without a second of regret or disappointment.

Last edited:
S

SnatchNRun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really how do you feel about it?
If everyone always lived by "What ifs" the world would be even more of a challenging life then it already is.
Either way congratulations you did good and I hope that you did something you wanted or that you needed to do with your winnings.
You came out on top and being onto is always a good feeling witch also raises your pride so head up high and don't even worry bout looking back on your choice.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strictly poker not the right strategy. Value wise $500 is better than a 1k ticket.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
I think you made the right decision by taking $ 500.In the end, it would be very disappointing after such a wonderful game not to get into the prizes for a ticket of $ 1000.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The right thing

doing the right thing makes you a different person according to your principles and values ​​you should always do the right thing:deal:

hog123

hog123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would of done the same you now have a bankroll from nothing

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations for winning, I still hope for such a win but I have not reached this point, I think the money you earn is better, the ticket is not known if you enter the payments.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got the best prize as I see it. use it wisely and it will yield much more than 1k.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
sure to have $ 500 or an insecure ticket where you don't know whether you can make it to the itm. if you are not used to playing with such a high buy in then it is certainly better to take the money. Everyone plays for something different, one plays for the ticket and the other plays for the money and I think the moment you went all in it was no longer about the ticket but you wanted the money and that's why I congratulate you. It's been a long time since you posted this and I would be curious if you made something out of your 500 and how your poker has gone since then. All the best for the future

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I might have done the same thing, 500$ is a nice prize.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Taking into account, that variance could have spelled disaster, and no matter how good a player you are, there will be times you could bust out before you make the money.
Like someone commented "A bird in the hand is better than two in a bush" I would be happy to take the $500 cash, and carry on playing, Satellites are great for getting to higher buy-ins for a small stake, but even if you won that $1K ticket, there is no guarantees you could have made more than the $500 in that game.
I have made the money in a few Free-rolls and have even won a couple but at the same time I have busted out on the first hand in some, by getting A/A dealt on the very first hand and someone crushed them by hitting a better hand on the flop, it happens, and why play poker if you are not willing to call an all-in with pocket rockets.
When it comes to poker you can have fun buying in for small stakes and losing like that because if you take it too serious you would probably have to fold that A/A first hand.
I have played a few satellite games and done well in them, but as the stakes go up you are coming up against some more seasoned, professional players, who can afford to lose bigger amounts, because they win some of the larger buy-ins and therefore more money.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You play good 500$ it s a nice price, but ticket for 1k it s more good for your poker career it nice to play a tournament with 1k buy-in especially since it was made freeroll. GL

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys I feel I made a big mistake!!

I was given 3 ($10 satellite tickets) from GG poker.

I played one yesterday and won a $100 satellite for Poker Players Championship.

I played the $100 today and the final prize was this 1st-3rd($1000 ticket) ,4rth $500,5th $362.

With 4 players left i was sitting in 2nd i went all in deliberately with 75o.

I got called and went out in 4th with $500.

I made the $500 from free playing really good poker but feeling a bit angry with myself that I didn't take advantage of getting that $1k ticket.

I'm happy with the cash but did I blow it ?

1k buy in would be my biggest ever buy in,(And it would all come from a freeroll)

Why did you get 3 tickets?Believe me, you did better with $ 500. Tournaments worth 1,000$ or more require experience. You said it isn’t at this level, so you don’t know how to play there. Without experience, everyone is eaten by the "big ones." Of course you have to start sometime, but practically 0 is the chance.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I played the $100 today and the final prize was this 1st-3rd($1000 ticket) ,4rth $500,5th $362.

I made the $500 from free playing really good poker but feeling a bit angry with myself that I didn't take advantage of getting that $1k ticket.

1k buy in would be my biggest ever buy in,(And it would all come from a freeroll)

Obviously rejoice in the 500 because you were skillful. And spend your money on tournaments where you feel comfortable and well and you start with real chances. GL!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Some guy you might have heard of thought about doing the same thing once on poker stars. He did not take the quick cash and played in the next tournament and did pretty well. He won the world series of poker main event. His name is Chris Moneymaker.

Did you make the right move? Probably. We will never know but to be honest, if your happy that's all that counts. Personally, I would have dont the same thing. Congrats on he nice payday.

V

Vinao182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, this is amazing, relax, even though the prize is in front of you, it's not sure, playing tournaments you need to learn to deal with this feeling, just think about making the best plays and let's go, enjoy

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

In a poker tournament, you can't ask this question. Each distribution is unique with many variable data. Everything can change in seconds. I think only haste and impatience are related to wrong decisions.

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely did the right thing, you essentially frerolled your way into a 500 dollar bankroll. Now you have 100 buyins or more into any micro stake tournament you want. You could play any tournament you want and have fun with the bankroll, instead of gambling essentially your entire bankroll on a 1 shot mtt. How frustrating would it have been to get the ticket, get to the final 20 where 19 are garunteed 3 grand each, go all in with aces, and get cracked by KQ, and be the bubble boy?

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depends on the exact structure of the chip. Especially in satellite's tournaments. As a medium stack, you should avoid any confrontation with the big stack. If the big stack has a similar stack to yours then you can push a reasonable number of hands in front of him because he cannot call too lightly. But in pure satellite tournaments it hardly makes a difference whether you have a big stack or a medium stack. Often the probability of getting a tournament ticket is almost the same.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Hi Meeshu in my country we have a say "better hooker in hand, than 1OO virgins' flying!
your decision was right enjoy! :deal:

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always take the sure thing $500. better than nothing