Do You Take Notes on Players?

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take notes on every1 , if they are sandbaggers , bullies and newbies especially the 2 slow 1's

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not take notes anymore. Although I probably should because I see the same
players time and time again. My bad!

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have taken notes in the past but I stopped doing it because I so rarely re-encounter the same person. I am a casual player (I probably play between 1-3 SNG/MTTs a day) so I don't know if taking notes is worth it. Further to that... I can only seem to take notes on players if I play off my laptop... when I play off my tablet at home, I don't think I can take notes in App... which is kinda annoying.

But beyond that... I don't even know how to take notes. The truth is... I suspect that people adjust their styles according to what they observe in the table. The only thing I could probably note is whether someone is playing like a nit... or playing like a fish / calling station. Anything in between, and I gotta assume that people are growing as players and shifting their strategies as they go.

My 2c anyway

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, it eventually takes my focus off

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forgive me to add:
Suppose you are taking notes on a player using HUD. And it is possible that, that player is also taking notes on you. You know about his trend and he knows about you. In these conditions can you make any profit from that player? Or that player can make any profit from you? I think tools may be helpful or of advantage for you if other player is not taking notes on you.

A player using HUD doesn't have notes on me, he only has my stats like how often do I see flops, how often do I re-raise pre-flop, how often do I fold to opponents aggression etc.
That doesn't say nothing about the exact hands I am doing all the things above with. So if QJs is in my re-raise range, HUD doesn't show that, but I one could note something like that if the hand got to showdown!
That being said, YES, you can definitely have an advantage over someone who is noted, regardless of him having notes on you, or using HUD.

Recently one of the major poker room abolished the use of tools. why? The reasons i can think of are:
One, use of tools by all players makes the game more mechanical. Less use of brain and judgement makes the things a routine job. How a player can show his skill?
Second, more use of tools means more information about the players. This could lead to manufacture of more BOTs like software which are already threatening the online poker industry. After all nobody wish to play with bots. It is difficult to beat them.

The real reason IMO that poker rooms are forbidding HUDs is that they are not fair.
Let's say I am recreational player who is not playing often so don't have need for HUD, or I just don't have enough money to buy it. I am then at a disadvantage when facing opponents who are using such softwares.
Now if that is something I'm aware of, I could decide not to play online, or at least not to play online in that particular room that allows the usage of softwares.

The room then loses money, because it loses players. At the same time, no HUD is paying anything to the rooms, so poker rooms don't have any gain by allowing players to use them, but could potentially have losses.

Another reason is possible exploitation! online poker rooms eventually develop their own HUDs, and for a price, you can purchase those, directly from developers - poker rooms (PS, 888, ACR, PP etc.). Whoever uses software would 100% rather purchase it from the rooms, knowing there would be no bugs, issues or other bad stuff...

J

jepc18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if in many occasions they are of great help because they allow you to recognize certain players that you have forgotten your face

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I make notes sometimes, depending on the situation if it is a bit absurd. I also use colors to make it easier for not so experienced players, other experienced players etc. any note I made about any player.