Do you sit out when you are the chip leader?

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played today a tournament and at my table a player win a hand and he becomes chip leader, after another hand he put in sit out, he waited up to the final table and there his rank is 9:))):))) I laughed unyin my stomach hurt:))

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you go to the first place, then you should not sit and wait.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there's no point in sitting out when chip leading only if there's a guaranteed seat in a satellite table

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From all I've seen, most chip leaders stay in there. I guess the one you are talking about doesn't have much faith in his/her game. That's called scared poker.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably it was just a coincidence, that he sat out shortly after becoming the chip leader. In most cases people sit out, because the software crashed on their computer, they lost their internet connection, or something ungent came up, which was more important than playing poker :)

Pammypoo

Pammypoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I would have to agree with fundiver.. The person probably had something important that came up or urgent and couldn't finish the tourney. That has happened to me before when I was playing a sitngo. I was the chip leader and had to go.. And when I came back I didn't win a dime..They blinded me out.. It happens in online poker.. Ya just never know why the person sits out. Although ya never know..Couyon might be playing :p:D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the end of the day there is no advantage in sitting out in a tournament. Even if you want to fold your way to a payjump, your best chance of doing that is to sit in and fold slowly AKA "stall" in multi table tournaments. If you sit out, your hands are insta folded increasing the pace with which you will blind out compared to players at other tables.

And if its a 1-table tournament or the final table, even if you want to play very conservative, there are still some spots, you want to take, for instance when its someone else at risk and not you. If I am the second shortest stack on the final table, and the shortest stack is on my left, then why on earth would I want to give him a walk by sitting out? People sitting out are basically just donating their chips to the game, so whenever it happens, just be happy and dont even worry about, why they are doing it :)

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think that there were problems due to which had to leave the game. Usually, the chip leader tries to increase his stack even more, rather than waiting for the final table, since this is stupid.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are practical reasons to sitting out, which may suit some players in some situations...for example:

1. Session connection issues. These have been mentioned above.
2. Discipline issues. Some players know that they have discipline issues and play too loose. Sitting out allows them to protect some chips for a while allowing them to advance.
3. To cash or to win? Many players play with the first objective being to quite simply reach the cash. Such players will calculate, based on the number of players, blind speed, format, etc. what the required stack size needs to be to reach the cash stage. If they have enough, they may take a break leading up to the bubble.
4. Toilet break. Sometimes, a player needs a bathroom break but is not in a good position to leave the table. But, tada, a quick triple up putting them into chip lead territory and <sit out>... finally they can take that break.
5. Nonsense before a break. Have you ever noticed how much nonsensical play happens just before a break? There are some players who always want to get to a break having just doubled up. There are others with smaller stacks, especially when approaching the add-on will get their money in to either double or rebuy while they still can. On the other side are people who do NOT want to go out just before the break. These people, in the minutes leading up to a break might just sit out.
6. Smokers. Although the number of smokers in the world is dwindling, there are still plenty of poker players who smoke. That said, many of these do not smoke inside their homes. 5 minutes is not really enough time to get outside and smoke a whole cigarette...so, smokers either have to transfer to another device or sit out.
7. Tactical changes. Do you play differently as chip lead than you do as short stack? (hint: you should!). Some people need to reset a bit when they move from short through medium to big stack to chip lead. You might want to stop, take a breather and simply watch how your opponents behave and look for opportunities to exploit a weakness. Whilst you could sit and fold (which is arguably better as you can slow the pace a bit), you are by necessity splitting your focus to assess play in terms of how you are playing, rather than assessing how the table is responding.
For me, I like to take a moment to rethink what opening bets are going to result in heads up play. This can vary, and it might change when chip lead is at the table. In one game it might be min raise, others need 5xBB to eliminate most of the competition. Sitting out and watching a round or two can help.
8. Confounding the HUDs. Loads of people are using HUDs out there. Sitting out messes up the stats. If you are someone who plays a bit loose, sitting out for a while (regularly) will make your stats look tighter than if you had played more hands.
I'm sure there are other reasons...

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many years I have been playing but I have never done anything like that. Maybe he had a good reason to leave.

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If all you are playing for is a seat in some other tournament or whatever (the price for first place is no different than the last prize they award), then why not? If sitting out will get you there, might as well, then you don't do something silly and cost yourself that spot.

If it is a cash prize that varies based on placement....well, maybe you don't want to do that and just be blinded out at the end.

Or maybe that is the point - just play a bunch of tournaments, win enough chips to (you hope) get into the money by no longer playing, and move on. Not much fun, but I imagine lots of players do that to MAKE money, however slowly that might work for them.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could see it if you're grinding freerolls and need the cash, but generally no, keep owning souls.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As chip leader it is your responsibility to bully the table.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played today a tournament and at my table a player win a hand and he becomes chip leader, after another hand he put in sit out, he waited up to the final table and there his rank is 9:))):))) I laughed unyin my stomach hurt:))
This is what happens to me when I don't have time to play, but in half or an hour later i have time ... 1-2-3 all in and if I win there is a chance maybe 1 hour later to continue the tournament.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is what happens to me when I don't have time to play, but in half or an hour later i have time ... 1-2-3 all in and if I win there is a chance maybe 1 hour later to continue the tournament.

Maybe I won't come back. i think this can happen and is normal in a freeroll.