Do you prefer ITM or a rare final table?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good indicator for MTT is ITM 18-25%. For SNG 9-MAX, it will be good to get into the money in 30% of tournaments.
With the same difference in investments and the same amount of winnings for several months, which option would be preferable for you? Stability or climb to the top of the mountain once?

P

pariurisportive88

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prefer to won a big tournaments i dont play to much sng .

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For SNG getting on the money in more inportant as the payouts are flatter. For MTT i want to win the tournament more than getting ITM. While getting the on cash is inportant, I would rather bubble the money if taking that chance puts me in the position to win the tournament.

Last edited:
darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer to win a big tournament. The ROI is so much higher if you get first.

If you play a MTT with 500 players and win once in a hundred, you still have profit

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Definitely ITM. Anything more than that is much welcomed bonus.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I prefer to be in ITM multiples times because I think I would feel more confident to keep playing.

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Always the final table, because that's where we have 60% of the tournament money.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at a distance, stability will be more preferable, since stability is a sign of skill and a relative guarantee of earnings, in contrast to the only win (even if it is large)

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The big money you win on the final table. Itm is nice but I don't play just for ITM. If I have good cards at the bubble I play them.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A good indicator for MTT is ITM 18-25%. For SNG 9-MAX, it will be good to get into the money in 30% of tournaments.
With the same difference in investments and the same amount of winnings for several months, which option would be preferable for you? Stability or climb to the top of the mountain once?
I prefer stability. I play first for ITM and then I fight for FT. The idea is to have a slow and steady growth with the ITM and with some random jumps in the FT.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too prefer consistency, more itm and hgher % doing that, however it is a very good question as it affects the style you may use for the mtt.
the good part about getting itm a lot is that now and then you will win or FT etc, so still possible to do well even if playing percentage game.
I may change my style for certain games , who knows, depends on the day and the game.
do you ask the question from a style view point? and the consequences ?

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think stability is more preferable, which will bring more smaller victories , and this leads to better and better results. Also the game is more stable.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
ITM -> steps -> final table -> 1st place

Final tables come as a result of ITM in my mind. So, at the beginning of each tournament, I aim for the ITM and nothing else. ITM is usually about 30-40% ROI if I'm not completely wrong, please correct me if I am.

In trading, for example, you have to set some rules regarding profit and loss and you have to get out of the trade when you planned. In poker, once you are ITM, you cannot lose your return, so anything more you gain from advancing is yours to keep, on top of the profit you have already made.

Seems like an easy decision.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do prefer games with lower variance, but anything up to small field MTTs with 200-300 players is fine, and I dont mind playing some small percentage of larger field events as well. But I dont want to see my bankroll decline for several month in a row, so I will never play large field MTTs exclusively. I just think, its to demoralising to loose far more often, than you win, even over long periods of time.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer playing same tournament or similar buy-in. 10-15% ITM with 3-5% of it is Final table with 1-2% top 3 finished.

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I prefer both. You need to reach the final table at least once in a while to become a profitable player. It depends on the player field of course. So with 10000 players you don't expect that so we aim for cash.
In smaller fields with lower buy-ins I tend to gamble more to get a good stack that could carry me to top 10 in the end.

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe the first step is to get ITM several times, its like step one to win tournaments first you need to learn how to survive. Thers a lot of factors that can change your decisions on the mkust profitable choice but i always play to win

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer the final table is more exciting and also the prize jump makes you gain more cash experience

lucayam

lucayam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think I prefer to be in ITM multiples times because I think I would feel more confident to keep playing.
This. Anyone can win a tournament, even the most unexperienced player gets a dream run from time to time.
Getting ITM frequently, however, is the proof that you are playing the game the right way.

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to be happy when I finished ITM but now I need to finish final table or close to it. I feel like I wasted my time playing if I finish just ITM.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know statistically which of these options is the best in the long run. But I usually prioritize staying ITM.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It doesn't have to be a matter of preference, I think the idea has to go through stages, first you have to look for the cash, then you have to look for the final table and then win the tournament

“Success is the ability to go from defeat to defeat without losing your enthusiasm.”

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have often noticed that when you first set a minimum goal to get into the money, sometimes you reach the final table not without luck. But in order to get up from the bottom, I often had to win a multipot. And this is a difficult situation.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to make a final table, because there is more money there.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, stability always comes first. Stability adds self-confidence. But in general, my goal is to win the tournament.