Do you often leave tournaments without prizes?

C

ChemfromUKR

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips

Cardshades

Cardshades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More often than i like to admit. Sometimes, you can play your best and still fall short. How about you? Any memorable experiences or strategies for improving tournament results?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes i do but when you really think about it only 10 to 15% actually win any money in a tournament, we should expect to lose more often than win. .

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Definitely, because that is the norm. As Luvepoker said up above the percentages are against you when it comes to being in the money (ITM). My ITM percentage is normally in the 15-20% range. So I only leave with a prize every five or six games. I'm good with that, because even the "Splendid Splinter" didn't do any better. :)

Ted Williams 406 Failed 6 of 10

However I did get a prize in a tourney just about three years ago when I wasn't ITM . One of the women in the tournament gave each of us a hollow chocolate Easter egg that had a figurine inside. She's been guarding my chips ever since. :)

Filotima Guarding Chips

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
One of the things I find tilting with MTTs is that most days you lose money and as others have pointed out it is normal, especially in big tournaments with a top-heavy prize structure.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
In my opinion on a weekly basis, with 1-2 competitions per day, 1-2 paid places can be reached. This supports the 15-20% result of previous commenters.
It also depends on the day, there are lucky days when, without exaggeration, as many (4-5) races as I entered, I reached ITM. Of course, after that, maybe not even once for a week...

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm more likely to end with more money when I play live poker. I'm only playing one or two CC games a day online now and to be honest these days for whatever reason I am rarely ITM. We'll see how the new prize format works out.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
more than I would like to admit, although I play more freerolls than buy-in tournaments (when I play buy-in tournaments it is because I win entry from a freeroll) but I think that I can't always win, of course I would like to always win but the luck, the variance can play against you a lot

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Even the best players in the world will only expect to cash around 15% of the time in MTT's. What makes them the best is their % of final tables, not their % of cashes.