Do you have something like this?

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I took the prize, the fourth place! Played in the freeroll, spent almost four hours at the table! And after that, I don’t feel any joy, only emptiness and strong fatigue. Maybe there is something wrong with me? Tell me, does this happen to you?

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play a freeroll then you have to expect a long ride if you want to get to the money. Even then the top 2 prizes are the only ones really worth the effort.

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play a freeroll then you have to expect a long ride if you want to get to the money. Even then the top 2 prizes are the only ones really worth the effort.

I perfectly understand what you are talking about! But before I tried to play for money and my bankroll constantly went into the red. I would like to try the game for money, but I'm afraid that I will go into the red again.

S

scottish770

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I perfectly understand what you are talking about! But before I tried to play for money and my bankroll constantly went into the red. I would like to try the game for money, but I'm afraid that I will go into the red again.
Find a stake that you feel comfortable risking,at whatever you enjoy playing it's your bankroll to manage accordingly. If your scared that your going into the red again your beating yourself before you even sit at the table. It won't take a couple of orbits for the others players to react to it.;)

Last edited:
A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens to me when I have not previously determined the purpose of why I play this freeroll. Then, getting into the ITM and spending 3-4 hours, only fatigue is felt.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This does not sound right to me. Whenever I run deep in a tournament, I always have a feeling of accomplishment, because after all this is why, I play. So I think, you should really ask yourself, why you were playing? If the issue was, that you were tired, already when the freeroll started, and not ready to play for 3-4 hours, then dont play it! Only play, if you are well rested and ready to enjoy playing, and never enter any tournament, if you are going to become tired, before its finished.

This is a mistake, I have certainly made many times with regular MTTs, that begin in the evening in my time zone. Yeah its cool, that there is some special event like the Winter Series running on pokerstars, and I want to see, what its like playing one of those big MTTs. But if my eyes get heavy, before the tournament has even reached in the money, and I really just wish, I could go to sleep, then it was a bad idea playing it.

Cash games and single table SnGs are way more flexbile, because you can just stop, when you get tired. So for me this is always, where I recommend new players to start. Or maybe at most something like the 18-45 man SnGs on Stars, since these are usually over in around 2 hours even with regular speed. About losing money in real money games, if you cant afford to deposit and lose even, lets say 50$, then maybe you should just go to the play money tables or find another hobby alltogether. Best of luck whatever you decide to do :)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I sometimes get this feeling, but it is more to do with the fact that I made a big mistake that caused me to go out. Just the other day I finished 2nd in a tournament of 600 players. I should have been delighted, but I was angry because I played the heads up so badly.

If this is the reason for you, then you need to take a look at the spots where you made a mistake and work out what you did wrong. That way, you turn a negative into a positive, because you are much more likely to remember that feeling when you're in the same situation again and avoid making the same mistake.

If you are feeling like that because you were looking at the payouts and thinking about what you could have won, then this is a mindset issue that you need to address. You should be aware of the payouts to make sure you're making correct ICM decisions, but you should not be thinking I should get 1st or 2nd and then I'll win x amount.

Focus on making the correct plays and you should be comfortable knowing that you did the best you could.

Good luck in your games.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Today I took the prize, the fourth place! Played in the freeroll, spent almost four hours at the table! And after that, I don’t feel any joy, only emptiness and strong fatigue. Maybe there is something wrong with me? Tell me, does this happen to you?

Sometimes yes since freerolls should never hit 3 hour mark so ...

R

ruco72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the sense of satisfaction doesn't exclude the possibility of getting tired. Both things can be present, at the same time. But if the final outcome is not a positive balance for you (even when you reach the prizes), then you might have to consider if the tournament format is suitable for you or even if poker is in fact a game for you...

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have such a state after a successful game. I immediately think about where I can use the money won. Sometimes the game ends late at night and I worry that my head would not hurt in the morning. After all, you have to go to work in the morning.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the reason you experience this is because the prize amount won versus time spent is almost never "worth" it in a freeroll. Like others stated, if you can find enjoyment and accomplishment for making it far in a freeroll, then that's the bigger value than the dollars and cents you'll get in actual prize money.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played a bunch of real money tournaments that last 12 hours or so... making the final table is both a bit of a relief ("FINALLY, a big cash!") but since I've never won one of them, its also aggravating and frustrating. The worst was my first time, over a decade ago (pre-Black Friday here in the USA) when I got to heads-up with thousands of dollars on the line in a $3 rebuy tournament (which ended up having a $74K prize pool- that is a LOT of 3-dollar re-buys and add-ons), and with our stacks almost equal, I got all my chips in the middle holding A7 on an ace-high flop and my opponent quickly called me holding A6... and immediately after we got all-in, the turn revealed a 6. Ugh. To this day, that card still haunts me. Yes, I had much success that day, it was so satisfying to out-last thousands of poker players... and yet, it was completely maddening that I just couldn't end up winning even when I "got it in good".

Such is the life of a tournament player!! There are few moments of total joy, usually it is a mix of joy and frustration at best, and at worst (such as the rut I have been in for months now), there is zero joy, only the pain and agony of losing day after day after day after day...

But over the years I have realized what it means to be a tournament poker player, and I do accept this reality. I no longer punch walls or slam my mouse on the desk. LOL I might utter a swear word from time to time, but I get over it quickly and the next day I'm eagerly back at it, trying to win the next tournament I play. It rarely happens, but oh well, that's really not my goal any more. Life is a trip, life is a journey, and the real key to success is just finding a way to enjoy the ride. I don't play for big money any more, Black Friday killed that dream for me, but it's been over a decade since it happened... these days I grind freerolls and that makes it trivial to shrug off the bad beats and come back the next day eager to try yet again. I found my niche, my solution - my goal is to deposit nothing but run my winnings up as high as I possibly can. I'm risking nothing, so there's no downside, there is only upside, and I treasure every dollar or two I win in the freerolls knowing that little amount might win me a lot more in another $3 rebuy I enter someday soon! Keep the faith, and keep the joy in the game! Congrats on your finish, but you know as well as I do that 4th place finishes only make us crave a higher finish tomorrow... so get out there and do it, and keep at it until you do.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If there is no joy, then you clearly have not reached your goal !!!

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played a bunch of real money tournaments that last 12 hours or so... making the final table is both a bit of a relief ("FINALLY, a big cash!") but since I've never won one of them, its also aggravating and frustrating. The worst was my first time, over a decade ago (pre-Black Friday here in the USA) when I got to heads-up with thousands of dollars on the line in a $3 rebuy tournament (which ended up having a $74K prize pool- that is a LOT of 3-dollar re-buys and add-ons), and with our stacks almost equal, I got all my chips in the middle holding A7 on an ace-high flop and my opponent quickly called me holding A6... and immediately after we got all-in, the turn revealed a 6. Ugh. To this day, that card still haunts me. Yes, I had much success that day, it was so satisfying to out-last thousands of poker players... and yet, it was completely maddening that I just couldn't end up winning even when I "got it in good".

Such is the life of a tournament player!! There are few moments of total joy, usually it is a mix of joy and frustration at best, and at worst (such as the rut I have been in for months now), there is zero joy, only the pain and agony of losing day after day after day after day...

But over the years I have realized what it means to be a tournament poker player, and I do accept this reality. I no longer punch walls or slam my mouse on the desk. LOL I might utter a swear word from time to time, but I get over it quickly and the next day I'm eagerly back at it, trying to win the next tournament I play. It rarely happens, but oh well, that's really not my goal any more. Life is a trip, life is a journey, and the real key to success is just finding a way to enjoy the ride. I don't play for big money any more, Black Friday killed that dream for me, but it's been over a decade since it happened... these days I grind freerolls and that makes it trivial to shrug off the bad beats and come back the next day eager to try yet again. I found my niche, my solution - my goal is to deposit nothing but run my winnings up as high as I possibly can. I'm risking nothing, so there's no downside, there is only upside, and I treasure every dollar or two I win in the freerolls knowing that little amount might win me a lot more in another $3 rebuy I enter someday soon! Keep the faith, and keep the joy in the game! Congrats on your finish, but you know as well as I do that 4th place finishes only make us crave a higher finish tomorrow... so get out there and do it, and keep at it until you do.

Thank you very much for your story. Today I participated in the freeroll along with almost five thousand players, in the screenshot below is my result. I don't add anything to the game either. And I realized that life itself will reward for patience and work.

1vt

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
this has happened to me sometimes and because of the structure of the game they stress during the game but now it's a joy to spend 7 to 8 hours in a tournament that gives you a good bankroll in the end that's really worth it

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I've only felt that once and it was in a $0.55 tournament, I was playing for about 8 hours and I was knocked out of 56 and won $4, maybe you don't find the prize satisfactory enough especially after many hours of play, in each free tournament that I have reached the final table I am happy, because most of these tournaments are with many people and the fact of reaching this far motivates me more

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once played 6½ hours in a $2 KO where I ended up spending $6 and got to the final table. The chips were going everywhere. At one point, I was the smallest stack, but by the time I knocked out someone, and we were down to final 3, I was the chip leader and had half of the chips in the game. (11mil vs 5mil & 6mil)

The prize pool top 3 was $79, $55, $38, iirc. my KO wins so far were around $32, and similar for the other 2 players. If I had knocked out both of them, my KO bounty wins would be around $80, plus the $79 first prize for a total of $159.

The next break was 20 min away, meaning we were looking at a 7 hour game at that point, and it looked like it would take another hour at least for it to conclude organically.

I offered to chop, and they both agreed instantly. The ICM came out, we all agreed to it, and the tournament ended then and there with me in first place, getting $64 for first, plus $64 in KO bounty, for a total of $128.

Sure, I could have maybe gotten $30 more if I had won it the long way, but it was such a relief to get out of that game!

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice for the "Real Thing"

Yes, it can be very draining to spend 4 hours grinding at the table, even if you place/win the tourney

I hate those long grinds to the final table

But I guess you have to consider it practice
for the big money, as you will be playing all day
if you go to a real table tourney

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don’t feel any joy, only emptiness and strong fatigue.

Turn off the computer for a while and treat yourself with something nice. You did well, many players never reached the ITM zone even once in their lifes.

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short answer - yes!

Freerolls are a special beast requiring hours of discipline and concentration for literally just a few pennies reward. In my opinion you have to be very, very disciplined to play them successfully and likely live in a country where a few US pennies are worth a lot more than they are in the US.

Many real money tournaments, especially at Pokerstars, also take a number of hours. The reward over the long term 'can' be better but not usually unless you consistently make it to the final table. If you need proof of this take a look at Debi's Las Vegas Oct/Nov 2021 Rail Thread. These were all live games (not online) which are different, but still, Debi is an experienced player who had a pretty good sized bankroll and still didn't walk away with a huge reward after playing around a dozen tournaments over the course of a full week. Making an income at tournament poker is a full time career with lots of ups and downs, mostly the latter for many of us.

So what's the answer? I have two suggestions, both of which have worked for me:
a) if income is the goal, play real money ring games or single table sit & go's. These require a somewhat different skill set, are better suited to the tight player (i.e., most beginners) and require much less time. Plus, with ring games you start and stop when you want. If you're not "feeling it", just quit the table - easy. But, you CAN lose a LOT at these games if you're not careful, so you have to start small, figure out a winning scenario and work at refining and improving before moving up. You absolutely need a large enough starting bankroll and you absolutely need to practice strict bankroll management, or

b) if you are looking for an interesting but still challenging, no risk development opportunity play at Replay Poker. ALL of their games are play money and there are many players there who take the game seriously. The big difference between real money and play money tournaments are the players. You will find a lot of aggressive players in the former and a lot of passive ones in the latter. The skill transfer from one to the other isn't 100% but again the goals are different. Cardschat has a few leagues/special events running at Replay Poker (https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cardschat-league-43/).

Last edited:
nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fact is that any person will be successful in the field of activity that he likes. If you really like to play poker - play and you will certainly succeed. No need to sit down at the poker table hoping to "hit the jackpot" and leave.If you are a professional player and have already managed to earn a good bankroll, you have certainly begun to treat the game like a job. And, as you know, any work gets bored sooner or later. Even poker, which is full of adrenaline, explosions of emotions and crazy bluffs, eventually becomes a gray routine. As a result, your mood worsens, and hence your attitude towards the game: you no longer show your best game, you cannot achieve the optimal result, you tilt over trifles...

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most likely you are not happy because of a small win, I think someday you will be lucky to be at the final table with big prizes,then you will definitely be happy and full of energy)))

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for your answers!) Thanks for the support and advice. I am sure that I will succeed! Because it already works! I already have a bankroll! And let not big, but independently! without investment.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try do it more and more times
It comes soft soon. Play correct and then you won't tilt for lose