Deviating/Modifying GTO Charts

G

gotttalovetapas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering... (I can not answer myself even closely)

What happen if I take out of the charts the low equity marginal PFR combos (about 10% of them. I’m using poker coaching ones) and I also reduce my 3-bet bluffs (about 25%) and calling overall with some strong-ish 3-bet fold hands (say AQo)

Does my EV is going to change a lot or just a little bit?

I am aware that GTO charts should not be blinded followed and adjustments have to be done when playing with different opponents

The reasons i ask this is because I find it difficult to balance my range post flop with all the recommended GTO combos and a lot easier after I constructed my new ranges on equilab (pretty much what’s described above)

I played with this new ranges and I’ve found myself much more calm playing as I kinda felt to have more under control
Also, variance seemed lower even though I haven’t played enough with these slightly tighter ranges

I only play ~ ABI 12 on stars mainly and I can see players do play decently well!

My main question is: does 3-bet bluff less (overall) and taking off the least EV hands on the charts affect my game a lot?

Not sure if the question is a good one or not but I can’t answer myself so I decided to ask you here guys

Thank you for all your opinions/answers

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What happen if I take out of the charts the low equity marginal PFR combos (about 10% of them. I’m using poker coaching ones) and I also reduce my 3-bet bluffs (about 25%) and calling overall with some strong-ish 3-bet fold hands (say AQo)

I am aware that GTO charts should not be blinded followed and adjustments have to be done when playing with different opponents

The reasons i ask this is because I find it difficult to balance my range post flop with all the recommended GTO combos and a lot easier after I constructed my new ranges on equilab (pretty much what’s described above)

I played with this new ranges and I’ve found myself much more calm playing as I kinda felt to have more under control
Also, variance seemed lower even though I haven’t played enough with these slightly tighter ranges

I only play ~ ABI 12 on stars mainly and I can see players do play decently well!

My main question is: does 3-bet bluff less (overall) and taking off the least EV hands on the charts affect my game a lot?

Not sure if the question is a good one or not but I can’t answer myself so I decided to ask you here guys

Thank U 4 Posting

This is a great question to ask.

1 GTO ranges are used versus Villains who also use GTO ranges. If no V are that wide than we are incorrectly responding to their ranges by playing the wider GTO ranges. As an example you the BB versus a non GTO button min raise we can narrow GTO ranges down from say 92s to 74s versus AA the 74 has 3% more equity.

2 How well we play while playing is more important than playing perfect ranges.
What that means is if we try to play GTO and make mistakes it is worse than playing tighter and making no mistakes especially in NL tournaments.

3 The only concern I would have for you is the AQ not 3 betting. We would not 3 bet AQ versus V who are very tight preflop and very passive post flop. You suggested your V have some level of skill therefore they are unlikely to play as stated above. We are better off keeping that AQ in our 3 bet fold range as we are losing a lot of equity in that spot by only calling. Unless of course you are targeting a third player who will call and stack off with worse Ax if you call.

Hope this helps
:):)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Correct Rabbit, you are over thinking it. ;)