DEEEEEEEEEPPP Structured Tourney

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I listen to a lot of podcasts - and when listening - I notice a lot of veteran and pro players talk about the structure of tourneys. They complain about tourneys that - when you arrive at the final table - the average number of big blinds is 10-20.
They love when the average number of big blinds is 40+

For me personally - I'm used to arriving at the final table with between 10-30 bbs. This might be because I've only been playing poker for a total of 3 years now, and back in the day the players were used to having very deep structured tourneys.

So ---- I play this EXTREMELY aggravating tournament about 3-5 times a week.
It is the 0.27 cent 250gtd on ACR.

Aggravating - because this is like a 0.01-0.02 cash game event. Nobody ever folds - which is GREAT - and also very hectic.

I play this event for the benefits of it. Nobody ever folds. lol so it's very "target rich".

The number of runners of this event vary, but average about 600-700 every evening.
I've made FT on this event several times - but this is the first time I ever noticed - the structure for this event is DEEP!

Below is an image of the final table this past Saturday - after 3 orbits had been completed on the final table.

If any of the members are looking for a very LONG final table experience. I'd suggest playing the 0.27 cent buy-in 250gtd on ACR.

If anyone else has info on any other DEEP tourney structures - please feel free to share.

GL to all who arent on my tables this weekend.

Attachments

• DEEPASHELLTOURNEY_250gtdACR.JPG
    DEEPASHELLTOURNEY_250gtdACR.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 20
BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
And it seems to me that all the main profit in tournaments comes from playing in stacks of 25BB or less. That is, you just need to correctly apply the push/fold and resteals. In MTTs with low buy-ins, there will be a lot of fish calling with all sorts of rubbish. Therefore, you need to play tighter than at higher stakes. Tournaments with deep structure last much longer, it is better to play several MTTs with faster structure during this time...

P.S. You also need to correctly perform mini-raises: mini-raise/call with very strong hands only, and with hands like AQ/AJ, 99 (sometimes even JJ) - mini-raise/fold, if you can wait for ITM. You should always be guided by the icm numbers, depending on the situation at the table.

Last edited:
IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Can't say anything about really cheap tournaments online, but for the most part it is standard that even when you start 100-200bb deep, by the time you are getting to the mid-stages and/or close to the money, people have about 30bb on average. That is kind of self-balancing. If a lot of people are <20, there is more shoving going on and taking people out faster. That bumps up the average again as the winners of those flips are increasing their stacks and the number of players goes down. On the other side of things (as is the case before this point to begin with), if everyone is 50+bb, then people aren't getting busted out as much and the blinds are creeping up on everyone... which reduces the BB average over time down into that 30 range.