Crazy final table strategy

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen it and called with my pocket aces and been sent to the rail by an off suit deuce tre before.
I do mind the morons doing it, but I mind it even more when they get unfairly rewarded for it.

Off course after the first 4 or 5 times everyone is fully aware of what is happening and has them tagged as a moron.

The interesting twist is then to sit out to the headsup.
Clearly realising there isnt any respect left and avoiding any damaging conflicts after amassing a sizeable advantage.

Although it might just have been someone who had to go out to the shops or something so decided to try and double up or go out before leaving.

These types of play are always annoying and so frustrating when they get lucky but its all part of the modern day bingo.
Perhaps its time to take another look at Pot Limit games.

It's the "unfair reward" that keeps those fish swimming. Be happy (or at least grateful) that your aces get cracked ooooonce in a while :D

Johniblayze

Johniblayze

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your the one waiting for aces you are the fish. Pound on all those tight nitty regs when you have the chance. Make them fold all those chips to you. This guy started off an average stack risked nothing and ended up in 2nd place. How is that not an awesome strategy. ppl fold way too much at final tables not to shove wide. If the situation calls for it go twisted sister on them and shove atc. Most ppl have no idea how loose your shoving range is supposed to be in the late stages of these 45 mans. Especially once the antes come into play.

If you haven't tried this strategy, don't hate on it. Give it a go next time your at a tight table and take everyones chips.

gl & run good.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if this guy got away with shoving 20 hands in a row , then he was playing with a bunch of pussies , and id be doing the same taking advantage of those suckers

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your the one waiting for aces you are the fish. Pound on all those tight nitty regs when you have the chance. Make them fold all those chips to you. This guy started off an average stack risked nothing and ended up in 2nd place. How is that not an awesome strategy. ppl fold way too much at final tables not to shove wide. If the situation calls for it go twisted sister on them and shove atc. Most ppl have no idea how loose your shoving range is supposed to be in the late stages of these 45 mans. Especially once the antes come into play.

If you haven't tried this strategy, don't hate on it. Give it a go next time your at a tight table and take everyones chips.

gl & run good.

Extremely misleading to say that he "risked nothing." It is inherently a risky strategy, but that's what allows it to pay off better. You can take the more passive route and be "guaranteed" a certain spot more of the time, or you can take the higher-risk path and you'll win more often. You'll also bust in 8th or 9th more frequently than the times you play cautiously.

But it's definitely not a "zero risk" strategy.

J

Johniblayze1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there,

Very true in deed. I may have misspoken, I think the point I was trying to make was that since no one called, he had never went to showdown. I guess looking back on it he risked his tourney life every all in. I was just trying to point out since no one was calling him he never had to risk all his chips. I can see how you can look at it like he risked his chips everytime he shoved to.

The biggest winners in mtts are those who finish in 1st. The structure is set up to reward 1st place with I think 14x, 10x for second, 7x for 3rd, 5x,4x,3x,2x. So out of 7 places that cash 14x is set aside for 1st double what third gets. It is my opinion that you should look to be winning these mtts & not cashing. Taking the passive, I'll just be tight and wait for hands and make sure I'm in the money line is not a good 1, just in my opinion. You wanna rip that table into a new one man. Crank up some twisted sister & go crazy on em. Theyll fold for ya.

In all seriousness this can make you a shit ton of money and you should try it out. Especially if your a nit who likes to sit back a watch someone else win these tourneys.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
HAHA, Ive seen this done and it can go both ways really. Some people just rather throw the chips out there and let luck do the work. Which is exactly what this donk was doing.
Is that what he was doing? How can we be sure (w/o seeing HH's?). From the sounds of it (to me) seems as if he was abusing ICM situation in late stage SNG. Maybe try reading some of the posts above as there's definitely some stuff you could learn there.
I do mind the morons doing it, but I mind it even more when they get unfairly rewarded for it.
So then you're incapable of seeing how this play might actually be optimal (given the circumstances)?
Off course after the first 4 or 5 times everyone is fully aware of what is happening and has them tagged as a moron.
Is that the read you have for them? (tag them as a moron.. when they likely understand ICM more than yourself)
The interesting twist is then to sit out to the headsup.
Clearly realising there isnt any respect left and avoiding any damaging conflicts after amassing a sizeable advantage.
This ^ makes me laugh as well. (another example of letting us know that you don't know what you're talking about here)
Although it might just have been someone who had to go out to the shops or something so decided to try and double up or go out before leaving.

These types of play are always annoying and so frustrating when they get lucky but its all part of the modern day bingo.
Perhaps its time to take another look at Pot Limit games.
Or just move up to the freerolls where they'll respect your raises! (or play HU SNG's )

S

sagiPOTM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well that was his strategy in that final table, he know that most people are scared to call at final table because prizes are most advanced on each next place u get... Anyway on those sng's blinds on final table are very very big so call is sometimes needed even with average hand.
And btw thats only thing that kinda i dont like in poker, blinds on final tables are so f***ing big :// its all in or fold all time :/

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well that was his strategy in that final table, he know that most people are scared to call at final table because prizes are most advanced on each next place u get... Anyway on those sng's blinds on final table are very very big so call is sometimes needed even with average hand.
And btw thats only thing that kinda i dont like in poker, blinds on final tables are so f***ing big :// its all in or fold all time :/

That's the thing, it's not poker anymore it's shove or fold and just luck on the outcome at the river.
Couple of hours play to get to the point where you might as well be betting red or black on roullette.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the thing, it's not poker anymore it's shove or fold and just luck on the outcome at the river.
Couple of hours play to get to the point where you might as well be betting red or black on roullette.

not the same thing at all. play cash if you despise playing less than 100bb deep

H

Hardcorecake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason I think this strategy actually worked would be because it was a final table in a micro tournament. Generally in micro tournaments it seemed to me ppl don't play to win they play for places. Basically they fold there decent hand to the guy who keeps pushing in hope that one of the other 4 players would call him and hopefully take that person out of the tourney. This strategy really only has merit in micro tourneys where players are really only trying to see a better payouts as apose to playing for the win which ironically always comes with the biggest payout. I use sorta of the same strategy if I feel the table is playing for places except I dont push I triple the blinds and Im not so liberal as to raise every blind I will still fold the 72 offsuit ;P.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lol...

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, it's riskier...I've seen something along those lines happen a couple times. The lowest couple of stacks want to hold out to try and gain one more place, and the middle stacks want to hold out to avoid being one of the low stacks. Pushing people around isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to that extreme but...
Of course, if somebody wakes up with kings or aces you're toast. High risk high reward

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I dont push I triple the blinds and Im not so liberal as to raise every blind I will still fold the 72 offsuit ;P.
in the stage of game this is referencing, you'll be priced in to call shoves if you're raising 3x (stacks are shallow)