Coolers in tournaments

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how is this works, but every time when I try to be serious while playing I always lose because of coolers. I really don't know what is this, example: a guy from the UTG going all-in with 10-7 and if I call him with KK he 100% will have straight/flush on the river. The interesting fact is when I'm playing for play money and don't really pay my attention to the game - I win. It really annoys and I don't know how to avoid this.

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
a guy from the UTG going all-in with 10-7 and if I call him with KK he 100% will have straight/flush on the river.
It sounds like Murphy's Law is at work here, but that's impossible. Some cognitive bias makes you think the bad outcome is always happening. Just keep in mind that a bad beat has to happen sooner or later, and you only concentrate on it, instead of remembering all the times when it didn't happen. I suggest you to analyze your hands history by using some software, and you'll see that such bad beats don't happen as often as you think. The human mind is too biased when it tries to analyze its own memory.

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker coolers are common. It seems to us that this happens very often due to the fact that we feel failure 2 times stronger than success. To verify this, record all cases all in, and analyze your chances of winning. To avoid coolers, you can only reach the showdown with nuts, but this is not profitable.
If you are a winning player, the fact of accumulating more hands inevitably means that the impact of the variance on your results will be lower in the short term. The bad moments will not disappear, but they will end more quickly.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unfortunately he loss at big pot round, it was so such.

True, one does remember losses close to the money, final table, big payoff jumps more than early in the tourney.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I make the right call almost every time in tournaments, but I usually get knocked out right at the end by stupid coolers.

How do you avoid this happening?
I feel your pain it happens to me too more than not I’m sure eventually making the right calls will go in your favour.