Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi all,

I wanted to get your thoughts on limpers and how you adjust your play to combat them.

We all know that normal freezeout tournaments, open limping preflop is bad, with the exception of the SB. But it still happens...A LOT.

How do you play against the limp? Do you widen your range, or tighten it? Do you increase your raise size or not? Do you over limp and if so, with what types of hands?

If you have any good strategy articles, please do share.

Thanks!

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I keep playing my range, but I add at least a BB for every limper. If you let them crowl into the flop, most times they will outdraw you. So, you have to make them pay. Think of them as "pre-flop-calling-stations". Treat them the same hurtful way. Value bet the living daylights outta them.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
You need to play very aggressively against such players and don't let them watch the flop for cheap, just bet big so that they pay you very dearly and in the future they won't do this a couple of times, you'll punish them for it after they will play against you very carefully

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I personally do the basic 4x, and I don't like limp.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all,

I wanted to get your thoughts on limpers and how you adjust your play to combat them.

We all know that normal freezeout tournaments, open limping preflop is bad, with the exception of the SB. But it still happens...A LOT.

How do you play against the limp? Do you widen your range, or tighten it? Do you increase your raise size or not? Do you over limp and if so, with what types of hands?

If you have any good strategy articles, please do share.

Thanks!
gtowizard has a blog article called limpin is pimpin it has some good data.

In the article it suggests attacking limps with mid range hands is a leak in your game much better to overcall and realize equity

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
gtowizard has a blog article called limpin is pimpin it has some good data.

In the article it suggests attacking limps with mid range hands is a leak in your game much better to overcall and realize equity
Thanks. I found the article. It's really inciteful. Lots of takeaways from it.

Here's the link for anyone else that is interested - https://blog.gtowizard.com/is-limping-pimping/

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed over the past year or so, Hold'em strategy has gone from a standard RFI amount of 3BB to Min raise and now Limping. I guess the objective being to get in as cheaply as possible and then get lucky??? Apparently the newer players are more speculative and on sites like PS this can work ok. But all should realize when you limp or even min raise pre flop you are letting the BB and SB in cheaply and that is where players play junk and yes get lucky with the flop..usually called a Big Blind Special where the BB gets to see the flop for just the BB and gets real lucky and cracks AA..not my strategy. but then I haven't won wsop yet either,,lol

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have noticed over the past year or so, Hold'em strategy has gone from a standard RFI amount of 3BB to Min raise and now Limping. I guess the objective being to get in as cheaply as possible and then get lucky??? Apparently the newer players are more speculative and on sites like PS this can work ok. But all should realize when you limp or even min raise pre flop you are letting the BB and SB in cheaply and that is where players play junk and yes get lucky with the flop..usually called a Big Blind Special where the BB gets to see the flop for just the BB and gets real lucky and cracks AA..not my strategy. but then I haven't won WSOP yet either,,lol
Limping is certainly not optimal at most stack sizes, but you still see a lot of players doing it.

In terms of raise size, until you get down to 30bb effective, solvers prefer 2.3-2.5x, even at 150bb+