Combatting the continuous all in players

W

Wwalshyy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
Long time poker player but new to Card Chat, the forum and community here looks great.
I'm looking for a little advice, I'm getting frustrated coming up against players that simply go all in on everyhand.
I understand that long-term that strategy shouldn't pay off, as they're going to get called by stronger hands. However, the blinds can really eat in to your stack, and all too often the weaker hand hits and wins.
Losing my enjoyment of playing is pokerstars because of this, anyone any tips or strategies?
Thanks
Walshy

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey man, welcome to the forum. I understand the frustration of playing against an all-inner, especially when they're on my immediate right. The best thing I can do is just wait for a decent hand to call with. GL man.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately plays tight and selective is all you can do if there's someone like that at your table. Just have to wait for your spot and hope that you have an advantage going into the flop. Other alternative is hope another player busts them out or they do double/triple up and then play normally after getting a chip lead.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all you can play games, where people put up more of their own money, because then you are much less likely to run into these kind of players. And if you do, at least you are printing some real money from them. You did not say, what kind of games, you play, but this really sounds like freerolls, play money or penny games, by which I mean any tournament with a buyin of less than 1$. So basically this is a case of "what you pay is what you get", and you might get a much better playing experience, if you pay just a little bit more.

Lets say though, that you are in a tournament, and for whatever reason one of those guys are on your table. Then my main tip is to not get emotional about it. Its not your obligation to be the "table sherif" and stop him from "ruining the game". I see people call these kind of players with the most ridiculous hands, which often just result in him building an even bigger stack and having even more ammunition to continue dictating the action. So just fold, unless you have a real hand, and dont sweat it, if you do eventually call with a hand like AQ and end up losing to his 84 offsuit. You played well, you got it in good, and at the end of the day thats the amount of control, which we have over this game.

Fivefor

Fivefor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First, welcome to the CC community. Being relatively new myself I can only tell you that both my wife and I have been quite impressed with everything the community has to offer - including all of the daily, weekly and monthly freerolls and the CC league play.

Regarding your issue, there really is only one way to combat this type of player and that is to play your more premium hands against them knowing that you WILL lose 20-40% of the time because their all-in equity will never really be lower than that. On the upside, you WILL win 60-80% of the time and that is a huge edge to have over these types of players in the long run.

As has also been previously mentioned, you will find this type of player more often in the freerolls and low stakes games. Bottom line is simply you will need to get used to it....don't know what else to tell you. Freerolls are shovefests and as long as you are playing better hands on average you will go deeper than these loose types of players on average. Enjoy the ride because freerolls with 1, 2 and 3 minute blind levels are high variance and with plenty of all-ins from everyone eventually.

Hope this helps!
Have fun and hope to see you on the tables and in the league play.

Fivefor

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All-in players too often try to throw you off balance. You can't let them do this. Sometimes you need to throw good hands, being in the middle position. The best chance is to call with a good hand when you are on the blinds. I always stop the time when someone puts all in too often. For this reason, aggressive players get angry.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First welcome to CardsChat !
The kind of players you are talking about generally do play freerolls or micro stakes SNGs.
If the buy in is more than 5$ you meet less people gambling like that. It can be more confortable for you.
And if it does not work and you always face gamblers the only way is to play tight and trap them when you get a monster. I know it’s not easy ;)
Good luck !

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sadly there is really nothing you can do about them other than picking a decent hand and going for it. We all know how you feel and we all feel the same way.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was burned many times when I called them many times because some of them have dumb luck.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that these type players help me stay in my range and actually save me money. (Otherwise I would be bleeding my chips away [emoji2]).

I feel the same way about a straddle.

On a hand that you are before them in action, you make a 3 or 4 BB bet. It will usually take a few times and they will settle down.

This would require you to be a little versatile in your ability to bluff, since you will need to out bluff the bluffer. Unless they are not bluffing this time. Then you need to cut your losses, be a little embarrassed, and just move to the next hand, and attempt it another time.

About the only person on the table that may criticize you would be the villan. Everyone else will understand what you were attempting and may even give you a little praise. [emoji56]. (Well, on a table of quality players that is).

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best strategy against these players is choose only strong hands to play, you will lose sometimes because of your opponents luck, but in the long run you're going to be profitable.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi all,
Long time poker player but new to Card Chat, the forum and community here looks great.
I'm looking for a little advice, I'm getting frustrated coming up against players that simply go all in on everyhand.
I understand that long-term that strategy shouldn't pay off, as they're going to get called by stronger hands. However, the blinds can really eat in to your stack, and all too often the weaker hand hits and wins.
Losing my enjoyment of playing is PokerStars because of this, anyone any tips or strategies?
Thanks
Walshy
Sounds like you are playing freerolls to me. Stop playing freerolls or just learn to deal with it. It is never going to stop.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can continue your correct game or quit playing poker. I don't see any other options here.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Roll with it and get it in when you think you have an edge. The variance can be wild but poker is about making right decisions not necessarily about winning, right? Or at least that's what I tell myself...

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
These players are really just there to maximize the variance in the tournament. You just need to find the spots where you are most likely to win and just call them off.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to be patient and wait a decent hand to call with.

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start playing pot limit Omaha, no more all ins, problem solved