Coaching for a % stake in PSPC

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently approached a pro whose game I respect and asked if they would coach me for the PSPC (I won a platinum pass). They said yes for a % (didn't say what).

Just wanted ask people's opinion on what's fair? I want something that's fair for us both, and I want to be really clear on what I expect from them. There's a possibility that I don't cash which would mean they don't get paid.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is something you'll need to discuss with the coach.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all congrats on winning a platinum pass!!

To answer your question this depends on a few things:

In real $ how much do you reckon his coaching is worth? Then just match this in EV from your tournament (estimation). You’ll probably have to accept somewhat of a markup, but don’t take an outrageous deal (such as if you expect coaching to be worth 2.5k and the tourney is 25k, do not take 20%, what the exact number will be depends on your level as a player).

While yes, there is a chance you may not cash. For any poker pro this should be fine, he should focus on EV.

Also try to be honest with the level of coaching you need. If you’re a beginner you’ll probably benefit more from buying a solid poker course and working your way through it. Also for players with an actual grasp of poker strategy, 10 hours from a solid online mtt reg may be more worth for your $ than 1 hour of coaching from a highstakes pro at the same price.

Either way good luck mate, hope you crush it!!

If you want to discuss any deal your considering always feel free to reach out and pm. Sure I’d be happy to bounce it off someone if I was in your situation

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your opinion,how many % you think you can give him?
First ask yourself can you do that without him?
If answer is no,ask how many i can give him,and that is an answer.

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies - as for my current ability I feel I've a solid fundamental game, my previous experience is small stakes cash, where I'm profitable. Since I won the ticket I've been playing MTTs (not huge volume), and have had a number of cashes/final tables. However, I know there are numerous areas of my MTT game that I would like advice on and would expect him to help a lot in those areas.

My thoughts are somewhere in the region of 2-5% and in return to do a monthly call to review tournaments. Does that sounds reasonable? Too much? Too little?

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies - as for my current ability I feel I've a solid fundamental game, my previous experience is small stakes cash, where I'm profitable. Since I won the ticket I've been playing MTTs (not huge volume), and have had a number of cashes/final tables. However, I know there are numerous areas of my MTT game that I would like advice on and would expect him to help a lot in those areas.

My thoughts are somewhere in the region of 2-5% and in return to do a monthly call to review tournaments. Does that sounds reasonable? Too much? Too little?

Right, solid cash fundamentals are definitely a plus in the early game. Most MTT players aren’t that solid deepstacked.

But if I understand you correctly, you’re a solid cash player but need help to adjust to tournaments (how it’s different with antes, icm and shortstacked most notably). While coaching can definitely help, my advice would be to pick up a solid course (Raise your edge tournament masterclass or Upswing’s MTT course for example). If it’s too much of an investment, I’d just shoot them a message and see if they’d be willing to make the trade for a % of your equity. For example, RYE Expert TMC goes for about $1k right now, pspc buyin is 22.5k (which makes the course 4.4% so let’s say 6% may be reasonable?). I’d just shoot Ben a dm, explain the situation and see if he’s up for it.

Once you’re a bit further down the line in MTT strategy I think coaches can help you a lot (for example when breaking down the most important concepts from solvers) but for the more fundamental stuff a course may be better value for your buck imo.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Really depends of what you are getting from them. If they are there for you to answer hand questions every day and sat have a coaching session once a week for 2-3 hours they may want 20-35%. Really depends though but the one coach I know charges a min fee and a % of your winnings.