Chip leader/Table bully right next to you

SydTheCat

SydTheCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't worry about the results and focus more on the decisions.

Getting your money in with AA will always be a +EV decision, regardless of sometimes suffering undesirable results.

Seems to be experiencing more bad beats the past week. AK sucked out by KJ. AA busted three times in a row.
Tried not to let it bother me but it's tough.

Oliver Wayne

Oliver Wayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this case, I'm leaving for another table.:D

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should play tight aggressive. So when you have a really good hand and he is raising you, just go all-in and hope for the best. Once I was on the bubble and the chip leader raised: AA (my cards) against 7-As and he made a flush on the river. That was unlucky, but yeah not always is the river the best card in the game :p

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's not a bad idea to wait for a good hand to raise ofc and wait for his reraise. Personally, i like when a monster stack bully is right next to me in MTT, i see him like a good chance for a double up

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are short it does not matter who exactly is bulliyng you. If it's a KO and they have you covered 10x or just exctaly does not matter. IF its a freezeout with no KO you still play thesame as you whould any shortstack. You dont have (or almost dont have) call option. It's check/shove/fold for you. So you whould adjust to you op and most likely abuse possition from SB/BU. But 80% of the time you are just hopping for good cards or favorable flip to double- triple up. A nobrainer if you will =)

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least two types of bullies, ones who will call every all in with ATC's and ones that will fold if they have bad cards and you raise or re-raise them. I seem to get the former. I had AA finally and had enough chips to go all in after he raised, so it would at least put a slight dent in his stack. He called and I flipped AA, he had 93o. Flop of course was 93K, ouch sent me packing.
He looked like Jamie Gold of old, he could not miss a flop it seemed. lol

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's not a bad idea to wait for a good hand to raise ofc and wait for his reraise. Personally, i like when a monster stack bully is right next to me in MTT, i see him like a good chance for a double up
True, I like the big stack bully when I can get chips from him. But when he beats my good hand, not so much. lol Best way to get chips is for him to not win, you know what he is going to do.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I was deep in a tourney up against chip leader who was a very loose player. I had my pocket aces and shoved all in, he called with is 67 off suit, and of course he hit two pairs to my lowly aces. Those hurt!!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience yes you've got to wait for a big hand and then let him take the lead in the betting and hang himself.

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that you may try to make high raise!!!!!

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely wouldn't try anything, until I had good cards...

almaihotz

almaihotz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wait till i get a decent hand and shove.no point to raise or call to steal blinds otherwise.:cool::D

R

Reprise

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes if the blinds are too big you can't afford to get run over or else you'll get blinded down. And when you do have the premium holdings he'll call regardless since the ante's and blinds are so large. Better to be the aggressor and re-raise lol.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Three bet

i would raise his raises when you on the button

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to be very tight. You need to play smart to outsmart him. Once you beat him in a super pot hand, than he will respect you and be patient. Just play very aggressive with your monster hands. GL!

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would tighten up in early position and play my strong hands aggressively. I would start limping medium strength starting hands from mid to late position to avoid being 3bet and playing a bloated pot out of position. Also employing some limp traps from the cutoff and button. I wouldn’t be worried about trying to take pots down pre flop but focus on post flop play.

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would adjust my game to him, throw less hands and try to create a pattern of hands that he has a habit of increasing, and the types of increase, based on this information, would use in my favor.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What are the actions/precautions you take when the table bully is right next to your left.

You are always OOP except when in the button and he most of the time calls your bets & raises.

What do you do?
It's a lousy position to be in for sure...to start with you really need to tighten up considerably. Then when you make a 3 bet he will probably have more respect because you have been playing tight....table image. They soon learn respect if you administer the appropriate doses of discipline

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I would play very carefully, I would try to deceive him or make him believe that he took my chips off, and at some point I would play aggressive and be attentive to how he is playing so I can take some chips

slayerupon

slayerupon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is key. Trap them when you have a good holding and win a big pot. Sometimes I limp fold deliberately to play into them, make them think I'm gonna fold to there raises. Playing possum has returned some nice rewards. Sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire. Raise them right back if you don't want to be ran over all day. Show them that your not gonna tolerate there nonsense. But I'd rather wait until the best opportunity comes.

I tried playing this one the other day with an AK an A hit the board. But the one time I have a good hand he checks my check. The turn was in his favour and he sucked me out of some money. It doesn’t usually happen like this, just some bad luck.

I would normally play super tight and wait for the trap on a chip leader/ aggressive player. But this isn’t chess, there are so many more options for the villain to play. Just play smart poker and don’t loose your cool. The worst thing you can do is play a hand thinking “he doesn’t have it because he plays so many hands”

D

drawmamba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If they always shuv after the flop no matter what then just try and limp in with any suited or connected hand and if you hit the flop wait for them to shuv then reraise. Otherwise wait for aq+ it qq+ and call them on their crap.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good things come to those who wait. Capitalize big when you get the right hand to punish him. Then set the trap.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for a hand which is in the top third of his raising range. If he is moving in with a range of 20%, then call with maybe the top 5-6% of hands {88+, AQ+}... approximately. This will make sure you're not risking your valuable chips for the wrong price. Any chips you gain from him are worth less than the ones you have to risk in the stack-off, so you need a calling range which can stand up to his shoving range.​

S

stamark

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight until you get the chance (with the right cards of course) to trap him