Chip leader strategy

T

troma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Does your strategy change when you become the chips leader?
Are you systematically becoming more agressive in your betting?

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In my case I can't always play aggressively at that point, to play aggressively you have to do it well, it's not playing just to play, I play aggressively when I feel like I should play that way, when I think I have the opportunity but I try to be more careful and try use all my patience

SomeRandomDude

SomeRandomDude

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BE
Chips
I used to try and be the bigstack bully and aim for a lot of blindstealing and folds...It generally did not work out in the long run. :) Now I defend my stack more than attack, I still like to raise and 3bet a bit higher than needed though..

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Stay playing your game, but be willing to widen your range a bit more in position.

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
This is how you become a chip leader with aggressive play and control over aggression 🙂🙂🙂

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As a chip leader, I become more aggressive, especially close to the bubble, I can collect a lot of chips during this period!

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When I have the biggest stack at the table and allow myself to open many more hands, but at the same time I don't play aggressively, with aggression and weak hands, I can quickly stop being a chip leader

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I'm more aggressive at the table and I'm going to open more speculative hands and I'm going to pay more in position to see the flop.

But I've seen a lot of players throwing their chips in the trash, going crazy aggressive, it's really bad, especially at a final or semi-final table.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Optimally you want to leverage your chips to make some moves on people, depending on where you are in the tournament. A good way to do this is by doing squeeze plays when you sense weakness. Also it lets you make a few speculative calls to float people.
But you must balance this with the ICM value of your chips, and remember that as the blinds go up your advantage depreciates.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
In a normal MTT with a top-heavy prize structure stealing and upping the aggression against smaller stacks are often the easiest way to accumulate even more chips when you are the chip leader. At least if they do not fight back as often as they should.

Satellite MTTs are an exception since you at some point often can stop playing and not take any risk at all - even with AA.

If the payout structure is very flat it can sometimes also be correct to take fewer risks with marginal hands unless you spot a weak player in the blinds.