Call ??

X

Xsss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Guys !What do you usually do early in a tournament when stacks are approximately the same and you hit pocket JJ, QQ, KK ..BUT some donk in the early position goes all-in preflop and gets called by another player...Would you call ??
I've been facing this situation very often recently esp. on 888..and I prefer to call here but about 80% of all time I lose to some A5o or it's very likely that someone has a higher pocket pair and this really irritates.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, often there are such situations at the beginning of the tournament. Usually I try not to play all-in with pocket JJ. They often over. It's a shame to lose the tournament too soon. But with pocket QQ, KK, I'm always ready to go to all-in. Even if the villain has AA. I'm insane.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, go all in of course. And most likely the kind of bad beats you mention happen 20% of the time, it just feels like 80% because of the "wind chill" :)

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only pay or I go all in at the beginning of the tournament with a pair of AA. otherwise you are throwing chips without seeing the community cards

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call

At the beginning of the tournaments it is difficult to identify the FISH or the DONKS because you do not know anyone's game at the table ... but if you have good cards you have to play them:stoned::stoned::stoned:

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's early in the game, all-in or raising is an appropriate action.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its something you'd have to figure out. With what kind of hands do the players in those games show up with when going all in at the early stage? As you say they often have weak holding and are spewing, this would make me call with the hands you listed.

If they suck out on you, that is very unfortunate. You got it in great!

steeler1970

steeler1970

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will all ways call had if i lost i say it happens

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends! The question is, what do you do if you win the first battle and have 4 times the chips than your opponents. Do you go all in every time, because you can?

H

Hondo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ and QQ should be snap folds , you have two players all-in in front of you "it is likely someone has a higher pair" and even though this may "irritate" you, putting your tournament life on the line is foolish.

KK is not such a clear cut case with the only hand that your are behind is AmericanAirlines. Here you need to use your reads on the indviduals who have already shoved, cosider the likelihoood others will shove behind you given the price they would be getting and all table dynamics. Getting a minimum of 2 to 1 I would be inclined to make the call but a fold is not a mistake. :jd4:

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ and QQ should be snap folds , you have two players all-in in front of you ,putting your tournament life on the line is foolish.

KK is not such a clear cut case with the only hand that your are behind is AmericanAirlines. Here you need to use your reads on the indviduals who have already shoved, cosider the likelihoood others will shove behind you given the price they would be getting and all table dynamics. Getting a minimum of 2 to 1 I would be inclined to make the call but a fold is not a mistake. :jd4:

Damn you, everytime I play KK, first or last card on the board is an Ace, and A5 or any weak ace wins.No need of rockets! KK is for getting you out by force, so call and run if you see an acehole!! Just treat the kings like small pairs: hit the board, hit your opponents :rock:

Last edited:
C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on many villains if all are pulling in or identify as fish is call if a player is extremely tight fold

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the situation you describe: AA call, KK is a likely coin-flip, the rest: fold

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Facing such kind of things at the early stage of the tournament, having pocket said pairs, after fast evaluation of my position at the table and blind levels i am looking to the hand play history to see how opponent was carried himself before if there is some played hands represented. Depending on this data i will decide using all designated time for such cases in order to understand his range of hands enforced him to go all-in. Because my range to call all-in is represented by these abovementioned pairs at the beginning of the tourneys. I am talking now about micro limits tournaments. For higher buy-in levels there is another matter.

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am all in with JJ+ most of the time even early. JJ is maybe questionable but QQ+ is a snap call.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning of the tournament in all-in, I can only go for a pocket pair of AA. JJ play as a small pocket pair. QQ and KK raise from any position.

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning of the tournament in all-in, I can only go for a pocket pair of AA. JJ play as a small pocket pair. QQ and KK raise from any position.
You mean that you raise and if someone shoves all in then you fold KK early in a tournament?

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the tournaments it is difficult to identify the FISH or the DONKS because you do not know anyone's game at the table ... but if you have good cards you have to play them:stoned::stoned::stoned:
Nicely said
I totally agree with you

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the situation you describe: AA call, KK is a likely coin-flip, the rest: fold
IMO, it really depends on what buy-in level you're playing, I play the micro tourneys on PS and calling with JJ+/AK early with 2 all-ins in front of you usually wins you the pot, most of the time you go up against weak suited aces or baby pairs.There are so many bad players on pokerstars, that the odds of good play is very low at the early stages of micro MTTs, but then again, that's my opinion.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes at an early stage of the tournament I very rarely play JJ = all in = because you can lose to a player who has an older pair, but in the middle of the tournament and the prize zone I play JJ all-in,!

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes at an early stage of the tournament I very rarely play JJ = all in = because you can lose to a player who has an older pair, but in the middle of the tournament and the prize zone I play JJ all-in,!

JJ is for me an instant fold. to much to hit

this describe my situation perfectly

but the bad feeling is still there. Even if have AA and the third person before me is calling, i think about folding aces. you are most likey to win the hand but with too many opponents the odd go really fast to a coin flip for me. and at the start of the tournament, even a freeroll, i'd like not so rely on my luck.

SprMnd

SprMnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, Ive been in the same situations a lot of times. I always call with pocket aces and kings, with queens I can fold to avoid three-way all-in in 20% of cases, when I have more than 60bb.With jacks i would call 2 all-ins only when I have 30-25bb or less.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too many times I was beaten whit KK’s in my hands. One time against 92, so its depends of tournament I playing but never against two or more opponents