BvB bubble situation

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, i have a question
I was playing a turbo tournament, was in the big blind position. Everyone folds, then the small blind shoves, i had AQo, but it was a bubble (9 players to the payouts)
Call or fold?
I folded, thinking that he was with a marginal hand (78, 9T, JT), then a had like only 60% chance to win
If there was no bubble ofcourse i would have called

Last edited:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was playing a turbo tournament, was in the big blind position. Everyone folds, then the small blind shoves, i had AQo, but it was a bubble (9 players to the payouts)
Call or fold?
I folded, thinking that he was with a marginal hand (78, 9T, JT), then a had like only 60% chance to win
Presumably the SB had you covered?

Your fold was more than likely correct depending on stack sizes & other circumstances.

The argument arises depending on whether we prioritise securing the min cash or going for the outright win.

If we are focused on guarantying the min cash, we fold. If we are going for the win, then we roll the dice and risk bubbling for the chance of jumping a fair way up the standings.

Everything is usually a trade off... :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call or fold?

Thank you for posting

Our goal is always top 3 in tournaments. Min cashes are nice but not what we determine our actions on.

So if you ranged the V for a call we call. The double up is worth way more than the min cash in real $ equity.

Using your equity estimate of 60%
We double up 6 times out of ten. So if a min cash is 1 but a double up let us win 2 or more we win 6x2 =12 if we fold and min we win 10

We are going to go much deeper more often when we double up as well so winning max becomes more frequent with the double up.

Hope this helps
:):):)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While poker players often say "It depends" in response to hand questions, this one really does depend on a couple of key factors :)

Most important questions here are:

** What was your stack size and your opponent's stack?
** Were there a lot of much shorter stacks?
** Was it the stone bubble or how many to go before ITM?
** How many buy-ins was a min-cash?

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call! unless hundreds of dollars depend on it ... (but I would still call.) you have to try to win, not to make min. money.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably would have been a snap call for me.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ofcourse you are a favorite if you call, but I like being the aggressor and not the caller. I would shove with A Q on the bubble, but I don't know if I would call even to a Sb shove, because it's a flip after all and so many times I've seen the worse hand win. I would wait for a better spot, but I'm a tighter player so while I know this might not be the correct move, that's how I play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While poker players often say "It depends" in response to hand questions, this one really does depend on a couple of key factors :)

Most important questions here are:

** What was your stack size and your opponent's stack?
** Were there a lot of much shorter stacks?
** Was it the stone bubble or how many to go before ITM?
** How many buy-ins was a min-cash?

As Collin Moshman say, "it depends". But with that being said there are very few normal situations, where its correct to fold AQ against a SB open jam. If you play this tight, SB can literally print money by jamming any two cards against you. But rather than just saying "it depends", lets create a scenario in ICMizer and see, what kind of range we are actually supposed to call with.

* Tournament 27 paid on 888 Poker
* 28 players left on 4 tables
* Hero is BB with 15BB
* Everyone else at Hero table has 20BB
* Tournament average is 20BB but with a random distribution at the other tables
* It folds to SB, who jam on Hero

With these variables SB is supposed to jam any two cards, and Hero is supposed to call 17%. The exact range is 55+, A8o+, KTo+, A5s+, K9s, QJs. If Hero fold AQo, he is only defending 5,7% of the time or around 1/3 as often, as he should. We do want to consider the option though, that Villain might not be jamming 100%, as he is supposed to. But even if Villain is only jamming 50% and then folding or limping the other 50%, Hero is still supposed to call 88+, AJ+ and ATs. So folding AQ would be a very big deviation, which required a rather extreme read.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, if you are talking about the opportunity to earn money, this is the right decision, because none of the hands (even AA) does not guarantee a victory on the preflop all in! And to withdraw from the tournament when you have earned 99.9% of the money is stupid.. I will say more, if I got AA on bubble, I would think very hard whether to answer the push or not....

But in this situation, it is very important what size of the stack you and your opponent have. But as I understand it, you have to play "all in" in this situation? and this is absolutely wrong. Easily give him the blinds and calmly continue to play. If your opponent's stack has half of your pot or less, I think it's worth calling. But this is a risk that can deprive you of the opportunity to fight for high places..

I don't think it's worth considering other players and calculating how to play from them..