Buying addons

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rebuy and addon, are they the same?

I was wondering how many people buy add one in tournaments. Or do you skip buying the add on if you’re well off in chips or do you buy it just to add to your chips even if your well off?

A lot of good info in this thread, advise-wise. I only have one question: is a rebuy the same as an addon?

I understand rebuy: you rebuy into the tourney when you go bust.
How is addon different from rebuy? Sorry for my ignorance, maybe you can enlighten me.

K

krakenba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wait until the end of the period to decide. If I'm on/around average stack after the rebuy's session is closing I don't, if I'm short and close to money I add on and play tight to guarantee the profit. Usually it's just catching the other people that have also rebought

O

OneMoreTry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is a must, if u dont have the add on money before tourney play a freezeout

cant give that advantage to your opponents

THIS.

You need to buy it. Always.

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of good info in this thread, advise-wise. I only have one question: is a rebuy the same as an addon?

How is addon different from rebuy? Sorry for my ignorance, maybe you can enlighten me.

You are right a rebuy is when you bust out of a tournament and buy back in a addon is usallay during the 1st break to buy more chips to what you already have.

T

thackro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the add on is a must do in most cases but as with virtually everything else in poker, different scenarios require a different approach.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

For example:

You buy in to a $2 tournament and get 2000 chips.
  • for a re-buy, everytime you run out of chips, you are given an opportunity to pay $2 more for 2000 chips. Re-enter and re-buy mean the same thing.
  • for an add-on, when you get to the add-on period (usually a pre-set level or break), you might be given an opportunity to "add-on" 4000 chips for another $2, no matter how many chips you have in your stack. Even if you are the chip leader with 20,000 chips at this point, you can still inflate your stack, if you choose to.
Hope this is clear.

I

I3onez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will only add-on when it will cost me less then 2% of my BR otherwise go without if Short or Leader

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enter an add-on tournament with the expectation of doing the add-on +EV.

Some variation in tournament buy-ins:
1) add-on immediately (prefer those) +EV
2) re-enter tourney w/ add-on - you can (add-on) after the re-enter period ends.
3) all of the above - you can re-buy, re-enter, and do an add-on.

If you cant fully buy into a tournament (max chips) look for another tournament or wait till you can.

SoCal

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I may add-on if I am already in the money and still have the option. That,too, is only a maybe.

U cant be in the money at add-on period, dude. Did u play that one turnaments?)

Right way to add add-on to your stack, not only u are cheap-leader like 2000 ch buyin and 20000 yours at add-on time

Last edited:
mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how many people buy add one in tournaments. Or do you skip buying the add on if you’re well off in chips or do you buy it just to add to your chips even if your well off?
If your stack is big enough of course is no use to spend your money buying add on but when you are low stack helps a lot.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not very often I'll skip an add on if I can afford it.if I'm doing really well I'll use the add-on for 1 serious pre-flop gamble and fold if need be. Bit like backing a roughie on the horses after a good win they pay good divs when they do come in.then there's times where your struggling like hell just to survive and its like heaven when you finally make it to the add-on lol.

Third time,damned connection issues every send omg rrrr.its not often I'll skip an add on if I can afford it.if I'm doing really well I use it for a real gamble pre-flop then fold if need be.bit like backing a roughie on the horses after a good win. They pay good divs when they do come in.then there's times where your struggling like hell just to survive and its like heaven when you finally make it to the add-on lol.

U cant be in the money at add-on period, dude. Did u play that one turnaments?)

Right way to add add-on to your stack, not only u are cheap-leader like 2000 ch buyin and 20000 yours at add-on time
Yeah you can be in the money before add-on actually.I've cleaned up whole fields for first before the add-on on more than one occasion.certain tournament structures and/or sattelites enough room for it but you've gotta be running good and taking huge gambles to achieve it.Not very often seen but it can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on how many chips at the time of addon
if the addon is 5k chips, and I have 60k chips, then it's not necessary to make an addon

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
likely to buy more . a lot of chips does not happen :)

P

petalms2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always going to add more chips anytime it is possible in a tourney. The more chips the better no matter what. My only exception Is if I'm the chip leader by a very large amount and the players behind me don't surpass me with the add on.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your stack is equal to a large number of bb, then what is the point of buying chips?

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never buy the add on. If it's a live tournament I don't bring extra money to tempt me.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like to hold out til the last add on

When the final add on is a better deal I will try to hold out for it if I am not doing too well.
Of course even if I am doing well and if I see almost everyone adding on for the final time I will also add on in order not to lose advantage.

R

ruk1dd1ngme

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't like add ons

I really think add-ons are a gimmick of the site to force people to spend more money. The add-on is good if you're kinda close to cashing and want to bump the stack up to survive, but of course,, everyone else is doing add-on lots of the time because it is necessary to maintain your position in the tournament.

The worst situation with add-ons is when they have a 4k-5k addon when the starting stack was only 1.5k-2.5k, making even someone who made some profit up to that point a loser if they don't do the add-on.

I do add-ons maybe 1% of the time. It's money spent to maintain position, and generally doesn't make a big difference in the outcome (I play a little more aggressively to win what I would have paid for in an add-on).

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see any way add-ons could really help I mean either you're going to run it up or you're not but paying for the extra chips isn't going to win the tournament. You need to take other players chips.

S

Saurkraut

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i late reg add on tourneys,play loose and try to build up a decent stack untill rebuy period is over. not sure if its correct but seems to work for me.:playingba

A

ATruRube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other day, I entered one of these addon/rebuy tournaments and notice several players at my table had already done a double rebuy as soon as game started. I made it deep into that tournament and those players were all still in the game. Perhaps they would have made it to the final table or close without rebuys, but I don't think so. I usually do not play those tournaments, kind of meager evidence.