Busting w/ 88 - bad play or ok?

S

skipizzle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the rest. Good all-in, weird call on his part.

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you shouldn't go all-in. You needed to play slow, with no big raises and wait for better cards...

This is a joke right?

OP this is super standard insta shove spot, your opponent showed up with a dominated hand and hit, what can you do but say gg and move on. If I was your opponent I wouldn't be limping K8 here, I'd be shoving since bvb and the effective stack sizes.

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you shouldn't go all-in. You needed to play slow, with no big raises and wait for better cards...

This has to be the wrong answer.

I have read on satellite strategy where there is only 1 seat or a few seats ( a longshot in other words) that you should be more willing to be taking higher variance lines. I am not saying this would be a high variance play because it is looking like a very very easy alllin spot.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I can't understand is why villain would limp in if his plan was to call preflop with that hand, would a better play not have been to just jam preflop and put you to a choice?

As others have stated your playing to win and because only 1 player wins your move is that much more better in the long run (This could also have factored into the villains strategy thus making him call lighter, I mean he could have also realized that 1 player only wins and 2nd breaks even so he too could have been just really aiming for 1st and not even 2nd place)..

Yet if what I said was the case than why didn't he shove preflop?

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks to me like villain had a lapse in concentration and made a mistake which I would profit from 65% of the time. So I'm happy with how my decision produced an error on his part. He was fortunate is all.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers to everyone who responded. Yeah I did love the call when I first saw K8 - he has 3 outs!

A low PP and I'm probably checking to set mine, although I may well have done the same thing tbh.

How would you treat 33, 44 or 55 in the same spot?
You should be shoving a fairly wide range of hands here. It's a WTA, so you're not concerned with finishing a few places higher. Your only concern is to give yourself the best possible chance to win. So, you want to assess what his limping range is, wht he;s likely to think your range is if you shove, what his calling range is against that range, and what your EV is from the weighted combination of his folds and calls. The math is too much to do at the table, but the more you're aware of the math in such situations, the more likely you are to make better decisions.

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U play well. I'd do the same. I would not expect on the bubble call with K8

I agree with the second comment. I wouldn't expect [Kh][8h] bubble call, especially if I was risking 2/3 of my stack. But shoving with 88 on the bubble is also border line risky. I wouldn't shove with anything less than [Qs][Qd] if getting ITM was on the line. Mind you, if you had [Qs][Qd] you would also bust but at least you wouldn't have second thoughts about it being the right move or not.

DaBrowner

DaBrowner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the sb limping, it time to shove.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a bad shove but the only thing I could say is that you made that same move 6 hands ago so he probably thought you were making a move on him and he wanted to defend, even though he picked a bad spot to do so.

R

RNG

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a good shove. You made him call light and he only had 3 outs. You just got very unlucky. Since the blinds were going to double soon, you would need to be aggressive.

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the second comment. I wouldn't expect K♥8♥ bubble call, especially if I was risking 2/3 of my stack. But shoving with 88 on the bubble is also border line risky. I wouldn't shove with anything less than Q♠Q♦ if getting ITM was on the line. Mind you, if you had Q♠Q♦ you would also bust but at least you wouldn't have second thoughts about it being the right move or not.

With the sb limping, it time to shove.

He showed weakness by limping. His range is wide so it should go all-in and grab chips. His opponent call which was very poor play which for us is an excellent opportunity to double up.

Edit: I forgot to add that our objective is to win the ticket and not get a refund.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's really nothing else you could've done with 11bbs in that spot, mate. You played it accurately

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't shove with anything less than Q♠Q♦ if getting ITM was on the line.
It seems you missed that the game is basically WTA which means getting ITM is not a consideration.