Busted out on the bubble!

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would the buy in make a difference ?...Surely the decision you should make would be the same, unless your being result's orientated.
Serious question.
What would then be the correct decision, for you, based on what ever info you now have from this thread.

A

ahadbi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Being the aggressor in this hand gave him a lot of power over you. Even if he was LAG he still managed to make it to this level of the tourney so he probably is a good player.
By forcing you to react to his actions he had a better read on you than you had on him, so he already had a slight edge over you. Being this near to the bubble probably also made you a bit less rational than usual and you were playing against him rather than simply playing your best poker.
It also happens to me a lot and I have to say that I usually play these hands almost worst than you.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
things like that will happen. and some times QQ+ will lose QQ- so playing your cards is a part oа the game. You've got to take in to SERIOUS consederation what will happen if your opponent wil have a better hand, can you continue? and partially it does not matter if he's a LAG or a tight player. So my suggestion whould be that you should not be sucked in to the game just beacuse the player is a loose one and that you approach your stack as an investment(SNG and MTT) wich you would not kust throw away on 50/50 chanse
Sorry for my english =)

B

BlakeBrown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to sound like a jerk but you know somebody has to burst the bubble! What is more important to you, doubling up or making the money? I personally will play just as aggressive if not more, and take advantage of other players playing nitty near the bubble... Of course if I am short stacked I am gonna fold fold fold until I pass the bubble! Hope this helps! :)

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i don't like the re-raise, i think you should of flat called and seen a flop OOP, so many times though to your credit the big stacks will raise you incredibly light on the button just looking to steal blinds, i guess as it played out you got unlucky that he actually picked up a hand, but i think you should of definitely called and if no overs come on the flop you could of probably gone all in and pushed him off his AK

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd need to know how big the stacks were to start, but I'd say 1 of 2 options is better, depending on stack size and goals.

#1) flat and jam on a favorable flop (stop n go)....so if you have an over pair, or if the flop contains just a J or a Q but not both, and no A or K.

#2)3bet jam preflop to get max fold equity and eliminate your positional disadvantage. If you've already figured out that you're not going to fold to his 4bet shove, then you may as well just shove yourself since TT is a vulnerable hand.

as it turns out, he wasn't going to fold AK to your min raise or your jam, but for his range, he probably would have folded quite a bit of his range if you jammed pre, or if you jammed on a flop that missed him.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
also, if a higher buy in would significantly change your strategy- that is the first sign that you are playing too high for your comfort zone and skill level....EVEN IF it's not too high for your bankroll (which it sounds like it was).

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was an unlucky spot for 2 reasons.

A) He is the big stack and because he was playing a-lot of hands (must've made you think he was weak).

B) Because he really wasn't weak and actually had a hand that flips AK vs 10s.

As others have indicated a call OOP isn't really that bad of a move in this spot. I mean what is the money to you? That's the question you need to ask yourself before you make any decision. If you honestly need that $20 (Or we/ it is), than min 3betting really is over all horrid and shouldn't be the play in that spot. Now if you don't need the money, min 3betting to induce a shove is actually in-fact a good play.

You got unlucky to have been up vs the top of his/her range

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
so i was in a 11 dollar tournament on FTP and i managed to play well and make it into the top 100 out of 850 players. With the bubble being at 90 i told myself to not let other players push me around. I had a above average stack not by a huge amount but. Villain with a big stack on the BTN raises 2.5xBB, SB folds and Me on the BB decided to min raise 3-bet with TT to make the Villain fold his weaker hands and so i didn't have to play out of position. He then raises me all in. I knew the villain (LAG) was playing a more aggressive since the bubble started. I ended up calling for all of my chips and the villain turns AK. He hits a king on the turn and i'm out of the tournament. I know I didn't play the hand well; what advice do you guys have in risking your tournament life, is it worth trying to fight back against aggression or is it better to fold in this kind of situations. any ways to improve bubble play, specially with good hands such a TT +

On the bubble I play aggressively, attacking the blinds, with surrender, meeting resistance and aggression. And it works. But this recommendation is very general, it is necessary to take into account features of the game opponents, as well as the size of their stacks.