Bubble Stallers

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What the title says.... Whyyyy do people do this :confused:?!

Stall so you can win $1 instead of trying to build a stack and get more.. I see deep stacked players doing this too... Right now literally the entire table is stalling, all stack depths.

This is more of a rhetorical rant than a serious question.

(To anyone doing this with a medium stack, you are not helping yourself by not stealing as many blinds as you can)

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most of the people who are doing this, simply having not really good hand and trying to spend the time. I'm doing this too sometimes but only if I have pretty low stack. If I deep stacked then it's makes no sense for me and I also don't understand why they doing it instead of stealing blinds

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Out of scarcity.If we talk about freeroll for example most of people who play against us have very short or do not have any bankroll at all so it is a perfect opportunity for them to earn something when they are already there.Looking from cc freeroll perspective players will do this step because they invested their time and played for let's say two hours (that is the time needed to enter in cc freeroll money by my rough evaluation) and now they have set of mind in which they want to earn at least 0.70$ and after that shoot for the main prize if they have the chance even if that means they will have less than say 7bb against the mindset to win the big pot hand now or get eliminated of the tournament.Which is very understandable taking into account that most of the players shoots big bets in early stages of tournament cause they don't want to waste their time if they cannot early make big stack for themselves.Probably those players already have good bankroll and just play cc freeroll for fun or just to make harder for rookies to earn something dont know.As regards of tournaments in which of players invest their own money when they get close to enter the money they stall because they are cowards and would rather win some small amount of money than play poker and try to win all.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am not a big fan of the stalling play as well. To be honest it just ruins the game. Nothing less fun than playing 2 or 3 hands each blind level so a player can min cash. One thing that's been odd lately is how many stall well before the money bubble. Just does not make any sense to me.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of scarcity.If we talk about freeroll for example most of people who play against us have very short or do not have any bankroll at all so it is a perfect opportunity for them to earn something when they are already there.Looking from cc freeroll perspective players will do this step because they invested their time and played for let's say two hours (that is the time needed to enter in cc freeroll money by my rough evaluation) and now they have set of mind in which they want to earn at least 0.70$ and after that shoot for the main prize if they have the chance even if that means they will have less than say 7bb against the mindset to win the big pot hand now or get eliminated of the tournament.Which is very understandable taking into account that most of the players shoots big bets in early stages of tournament cause they don't want to waste their time if they cannot early make big stack for themselves.Probably those players already have good bankroll and just play cc freeroll for fun or just to make harder for rookies to earn something dont know.As regards of tournaments in which of players invest their own money when they get close to enter the money they stall because they are cowards and would rather win some small amount of money than play poker and try to win all.
I guess it makes sense for those trying to build a bankroll securely, I think stalling is totally acceptable in that case for the really short stacks who would get blinded out if they didn't.

Though I also saw some regs who I know have a bankroll doing this with big stacks and it totally baffles me because they will make way more in the long run by taking advantage of their stack depth. This was a weekly 3k prize freeroll which is why I'm a bit confused that they didn't try to go for the big cash.

Sokolik

Sokolik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better a titmouse in your hand than a crane in the sky. So they say in the people.