On the bubble question.....

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

I was wondering, lets say you play in a big tournament with a lot of money on the line. 90% of the players are out and its time for the "bubble" player, you hold an average stack.

You get pocket aces (AA), you raise and then you get re-raised by the chip leader for your entire stack!

Do you call it or fold it ?

Snap call. There are some hands I can fold here. Aces aren't one of them. I like to play smart. I don't like to play scared. On the one hand, I'm going to be a little cautious of the mixing it up with the big stacks. On the other hand, the big stacks are where the chips are at, and that's what I'm after. Besides, by chipping up, you move yourself into a much more comfortable position where you not only don't have to be concerned with bubbling, but are now positioned to play for the win once the bubble bursts.

K

kmart99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always call. This shouldn't even be a consideration unless the bubble is for a satellite and you are pretty much guaranteed to make it just by folding out.

If you always fold in this spot, sure you'll make the bubble maybe 20% more often, but you'll be screwing yourself out of the real money at the top of the tournament.

Always go with the most profitable decision regarding your stack size long term. I am not a believer in sacrificing value in exchange for survival.

KERAPUTIH

KERAPUTIH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

I was wondering, lets say you play in a big tournament with a lot of money on the line. 90% of the players are out and its time for the "bubble" player, you hold an average stack.

You get pocket aces (AA), you raise and then you get re-raised by the chip leader for your entire stack!

Do you call it or fold it ?

Because poker isn't only the games of luck but the games when you can think clearly for every single hands.
On this condition I will fold. cause, i think make profit after the bubble ends is better than get BUSTO for defending my AA.
Do not regrets when you calling with AA and get BUSTO, if you do, it means you dont think clearly besides you already play with your ego.

in the end, you will start to shouting words like " fcvk this game, this poker is rigged, i will stop playing poker forever, etc " , lol

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you consider folding this, unreg pre. This is exactly what you wanted to happen. If the buyin makes a difference then you're definitely playing too high.

That said, it is at least possible that you could consider folding here in some crazy circumstances -- like if you're the shortest remaining stack on the stone cold bubble and there are 3 or 4 allins ahead already and even going 4x or 5x your stack will still be super short. This basically changes the dynamic into a satellite where folding AA could be right. Realistically this is never going to happen in a regular tournament. Play to win, easy call.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
That's a very easy question to answer .With one only opponent you haveat around 80% to win so you take the risk .On the bubble , if you have a medium , average stack you try to bully the low stacks taking and stealing the blinds all the time , taking advantage the fact that they try to survive , and you try to avoid big stucks . But when you have a premium hand like AA then, you don;t have to discuss it at all : all in and if you lose...you lose .If you're afraid taking these opportunities you'll never run deep ;) .
you should have made the question more interesting . How about we had KK , then what ? I leave it for the others to think;) .....

Something related to bubble..;) ! I was busted out 2 hours ago 73rd on the bubble (72 were paid ) on .10 on WPN holding , not AA but AQ , I just wanted for the first time to apply in practice all the theory I 've read and accepted for not been a chicken on the bubble . I had 14 bb , I tried ,EVEN THOUGH i WASN;T IN GREAT NEED OF BLIND/CHIPS:eek: ,to unsuccessfully take the pot ( i raised 2.5 blinds ,got called by one ,Q hit the flop but instead of going all in I risked it and slow played , so I made a bet ,he called , K hit the turn ,he raised all in I called-i had only 2 blinds and I lost- he had K10 :mad: ) . The right thing should have been to raise 2blinds then allin to take the pot I guess -no more risk on the bubble.
So the lesson I took is yes try to take if you can a pot on the bubble , but carefully ,no great risk and slow play is allowed .:)