Bubble play: when is it acceptable to ignore mathematics?

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You question got one easy, fast and simple answer. Never:)

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great thread, I really enjoyed many of the detailed responses, I like to think math runs my game, but I don’t follow icm properly at certain stages/stacks.
So I’m not adding anything to this, tho I will be re reading some of these great answers again��

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position and the stack size of players yet to act behind you also matter. If you are on BB and you know it will be HU if you call, then you can call with AJ if you feel like villain will push with less.

But if there are say 4 more guys behind you yet to act and they cover you, AJ is foldable as is 77.

I've called off on the bubble for 10 big blinds from BB with hands like A3 suited and KT suited before against guys who I know try to bully me with their big stacks. (But these are situations where I know I won't be able to just fold into the money.) Haven't been wrong yet. I've lost some of those matchups, but I was ahead every time. Other times I've folded TT and JJ in certain situations against certain players.

The one time that still pisses me off to this day is when I had AA on BB right on the bubble and the big stack shoves from BTN with J7. If I won I woulda vaulted to first place. Instead I lost and became bubble boy. But that's a call every time.