Bubble Play

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on your chip stack. If your the chip leader you’ll probably push towards KO players. On the other hand if you have low stack close to the bubble you really have to play tight and minimize hands being played.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the strategy is simple.
when there are a lot of chips, I will put pressure on opponents weaker, and if there are few chips to play only selective hands and survive the bubble
playing the bubble in general requires aggression

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on what your major goal for the tournament is and what your stack size is. There are many other variables in play like your skill level, your opponents' skill levels and the tournament structure but I think the two points above are the most important.

1. If your goal is to just enter the money and you have a short stack, fold every single hand outside AA and KK until you make the money. Then all-in with good hands for a chance to double up and run deeper. If you bust it's alright because you accomplished your goal. If you double up then there's more money waiting for you.
2. If your goal is to just enter the money and you have a big stack, you could either readjust your goal to option 3 or gamble with marginal hands because your goal is pretty much guaranteed. Do whatever at this stage since you can't possibly screw up so much that you lose all your chips and don't cash.
3. If your goal is to make final table or win and you have a big stack, identify the players who chose option 1 and bully them so hard they give you all their chips. This is an easy way to gather up a lot more chips because it's very risk free if you can choose your opponents correctly. Before the bubble bursts they will play very passively so you can steal their blinds freely. After the bubble bursts they will shove with any decent cards so you can call much wider.
4. If your goal is to make final table or win and you have a short stack, you're in a lot of trouble. Your chances are obviously diminished but nothing's impossible. Shove in positive EV situations against exploitable opponents and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out you can always try the next tourney.

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think surviving the Bubble can be very much a chip dependable situation. I plan for the bubble as an unavoidable given in any game that I take serious. (Yes, I do not take all games serious.)

Some players go into the Bubble with a pre-conceived strategy right from the start of a game. I do this when I am playing for keeps in tournaments or cash games, usually in live play and not online. I do not do so when I am playing for fun with friends (although I should) or experimenting online playing with hand outcomes when I just want to see what happens when I go in, sometimes recklessly.

So, how do I strategize for the Bubble? Well, it must be understood that my strategy is not really aimed at the bubble per se. It is a strategy of playing a very good game, and in the very general sense, of being prepared financially for the Bubble when it arrives. By financially, of course, I mean that I keep a very close eye on my stack throughout the entire tournament or game knowing that the Bubble is coming.

The problem with actually planning for the Bubble, and Bubble play itself, is that one never knows ahead of time what hole cards a player will have or what position a player will be in when it arrives. So, whatever my position or hole cards, I want to make sure that I can survive the Bubble financially. Unlike any other hand, the Bubble is where the last player not to be paid is eliminated. So, in a general sense, the only plan one can come-up with is just to make sure that he is not the last player to be eliminated before everyone else is in the money, if possible.

I say "if possible" because there will be times when the low stack will be forced all-in on the bubble because it is either the small or big blind, something which I think everybody has either experienced or seen. So, already, thinking about Bubble play, the areas of stack and position are in play. For those unlucky enough to have a low stack forced into play because of position, as described above, the game may already be over.

So, for myself, the best strategy would be to view the Bubble as an eventual given in any game throughout which a player must play with the necessary discipline to protect one's bankroll such that if he finds himself in any blind come the Bubble, he can survive to play on - win or lose the hand.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avoid unnecessary risks and try to play post-flop whenever possible. In the bubble your only goal has to be to reach ITM, no matter how, then the chips matter.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avoid unnecessary risks and try to play post-flop whenever possible. In the bubble your only goal has to be to reach ITM, no matter how, then the chips matter.

This statement is simply not true. (It might be true for YOU) however, it is not the optimal way to play to win the tournament.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This statement is simply not true. (It might be true for YOU) however, it is not the optimal way to play to win the tournament.
If it's a microliter tournament, of course not,there you play against many recreationals that make a lot of mistakes with which you could fill with chips, but if it's an important tournament where you play with good players really, I assure you it is the correct way

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a microliter tournament, of course not,there you play against many recreationals that make a lot of mistakes with which you could fill with chips, but if it's an important tournament where you play with good players really, I assure you it is the correct way

The (stakes) shouldn't matter. If you play a tournament, you should play to win. The money in tournaments is top heavy. If you spend hours and hours playing to min cash you have wasted your time. The ONLY time a min cash would be the desired result is if it makes a significant impact on your life. However, if this is the case then there is a whole host of other problems in your financial management in poker.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The (stakes) shouldn't matter. If you play a tournament, you should play to win. The money in tournaments is top heavy. If you spend hours and hours playing to min cash you have wasted your time. The ONLY time a min cash would be the desired result is if it makes a significant impact on your life. However, if this is the case then there is a whole host of other problems in your financial management in poker.

Nor do you say what is the correct way to play it, you simply say that you have to play it to win, where is the bad thing about trying to survive in the bubble anyway? Since you do not agree. Once in ITM is where you should worry about winning chips

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nor do you say what is the correct way to play it, you simply say that you have to play it to win, where is the bad thing about trying to survive in the bubble anyway? Since you do not agree. Once in ITM is where you should worry about winning chips

Nor do you say what is the correct way to play it, you simply say that you have to play it to win
My post is the very first post on this thread, and I listed how to play there.

where is the bad thing about trying to survive in the bubble anyway?
Because you don't play to survive when the money is insignificant as I wrote in the comment. Tournaments are top heavy therefore "protecting" your stack when you should be chipping up will cost you. fold equity in these spots is through the roof.

nenaviju poker

nenaviju poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more important for me to get into the money, so I will sit quietly and wait.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more important for me to get into the money, so I will sit quietly and wait.
but then you should have a big stack
Otherwise, you will be eaten up by the blinds and you will be exploited by your opponents or am I wrong?

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bubble is a great time to be aggressive because many players are going to fold to cash. Take advantage of short stacks because they are forced to tighten up there range. Aggressively playing the bubble can steal many blinds and antes and increase your stack size a great deal. Be aware that some of the smaller stacks may be forced either fold or shove. If you have a decent stack aggression is paramount while short stacks can reseal against over aggressive players to keep them in line. If they are raising every hand to quite obvious that they don’t always have a monster and will fold to your aggressive response. Fight aggression with aggression.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if i have very low chip count and there is a chance to make the money and its close to the bubble i then may play very conservative just to make the money. however if you always play just to make the money you will never make a profit. i always am playing for the 1st place. when sitting at a table and someone makes a stupid play and says well its only a $75 tourney I look at 1st place money and say no its a $2500 tourney.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That depends, do you want an evening's entertainment with your investment back with a little on top or do you want to win a lot more money than you invested? I would always choose the latter, but many don't, they tighten up just trying to creep into the money. So I see the bubble as a good time to loosen my range (while paying careful attention to what my opponents are doing) and pick up a few small pots (by using relative stack sizes and positional advantage where I can) to give myself a better chance at going the distance.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends if you're short stack, if you are a big stack, or have an average chip, if you are a big stack, you have to press the stack shorts, and take advantage of the bubble, to steal, and if you are short stack should look for a good hand risk and double your chips.