Bubble Play

M

Moonman610

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is more of a question than an opinion or convo starter...
What is the best strategy for bubble play...just tryna to make the ITM or continue your game....is it chip dependable situation.... or are you still KOing players n taken names as a big stack.... whats the proper approach.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the best strategy for bubble play...just tryna to make the ITM or continue your game....is it chip dependable situation.... or are you still KOing players n taken names as a big stack.... whats the proper approach.

You are going to get a varied response here because people value different things. If you are simply trying to make it ITM then that is your concern, you will use all the strategies "wasting blinds" tightening your range... all that dumb stuff. If your goal is to make a deep run and possibly WIN the tournament, which should be the case, but for some reason it's not for a lot of players. Then nothing changes in your game as far as paying attention to your stack size and position at the table having a solid range and narrowing your opponents range, the only thing that changes is now you are putting MAX pressure on short stacks that are trying to make ITM, but this should already be a part of your normal end of tournament strategy.

M

Moonman610

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thx for the feedback

personally i agree. Sometimes i find myself BSing(for lack of a better term) with dumb hands bcause im trying to knock out the guy the just keeps hanging around at a minimal stack of barely even 10 BB's. So I feel like it depends on my mood. Poker is not for me... I know and Love the game... this roller coaster has me feeling good sometimes to just be ITM....and then I tighten and play robotic and Win a few or just place very well. Appreciate the feedback.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally i agree. Sometimes i find myself BSing(for lack of a better term) with dumb hands bcause im trying to knock out the guy the just keeps hanging around at a minimal stack of barely even 10 BB's. So I feel like it depends on my mood. Poker is not for me... I know and Love the game... this roller coaster has me feeling good sometimes to just be ITM....and then I tighten and play robotic and Win a few or just place very well. Appreciate the feedback.

You're welcome.. why do you say "poker is not for me" and then continue with "I know and love the game" If you are just having fun and don't care to get better I understand the trying to knock the player out with "dumb hands" but even just having fun I think you would still benefit getting better. This is not the optimal strategy and I think you know that. Also you know you shouldn't "tighten up and play robotic" once in the money right? Later tournament is when you should be opening your range and playing more hands aggressively.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
depending on the chips I have at that moment and other factors, but usually I try to play very carefully and with patience, the bubble is complicated

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When you go into a tournament, you should do it to win first place and not to just cash in. It's this simple philosophy that has put some prominent tournament players at the top of the MTT food chain. To make it simple, in the MTT bubble before the prize phase you should be much more aggressive against players trying to fold their way into the money.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you concentrate on trying to get in the money rather than winning you will most likely miss chances to boost your roll and often only be making your entry back. A lot of player play tight on the bubble so it is a good time to play more aggressively. Same said it is nice to cash and would veer away from speculative hands.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing on the bubble - need to assess the situation at the table and the size of your stack.
1. If the stack is large - it is necessary to often show aggression, steal the blinds.
2. With an average stack - play quiet and tight game.
3. With a short stack - play carefully. In most cases, have to play push / fold.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the bubble I think you almost always want to play more aggressive because while getting itm is always good, min cashing by playing it safe and trying to limp into the money is not the way you grow you're bankroll. By building a big stack with aggressive play near the bubble, especially against short stacks, we're getting deeper in the money and can play better when the bubble bursts rather than playing fold or shover because of how short our stack is.

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

what is bubble play...?

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are the big stack at the table, play more loose and more agressively because you have the advantage and they will be scared for the money

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have a medium stack, try not to play with the big stacks because it could be dangerous. Try to make pressure to the little stacks but keep careful

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
da 90% of the players will tell you that you must play aggressively in the bubble, but it is a mistake to do this when you have already accumulated a large amount of chips .. you must take into account that it is the effort of several hours of skill to foolishly risk your Stay in that tournament, I can advise playing tight aggresive close to the bubble ..

vic88888

vic88888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bubble play, one of the most elusive questions by many. if anyone can chime in then it would be great. One may or may not agree as I believe you play at your comfort level. If it happens to be, welcome it and if not well that's ok too because there will always be another game, sooner or later, right?!

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say its player preference and chip stack dependent. If you're just trying to make the money and your stack is small, play slow and tight until you either absolutely have to go all-in or have a hand you don't feel you can pass up.

But if you have an average or higher stack size then you can play with a bit more freedom and try to knock some people out so you can keep building your stack size. Like a lot of other people have said, if you're aiming to make the money, adjust that and aim for the top. You can start slow, aim for top 25, then the FT, then first but keep aiming higher.

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bigger my stack at the bubble phase of a tourney, the bigger my range. Obviously effective stack sizes plays a huge roll in my range.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play tournaments, if you ask "What is the best strategy for bubble play". You must play with different hands on the bubble. Depends of your stack size, stacks on the table, how aggressive are the players, the bounty and the payout structure. Can be less hands, can be more...

Vlad Tapu

Vlad Tapu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really depends on many factors.
If u are short and got your big enter from a satelite, you ll prouly wait for the money (i was "forced" to fold aces in that situation)
If you are playing a low entry tournament, you would want to get big $$$ so.. you ll not fold like any hand (including Aces).

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
should be very careful in the bubble phase, and play safely and wait for one player to fall.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it all depends on how wide the prize zone, the more this zone the more it makes sense to enter this prize zone, and not to play in the first place Hyper aggressively.

F

FaritGaripov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
allways playing tight on that part of MTT. But can push premium cards. why not!

L

lantz123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if your trying to make it past the bubble you are going to tighten up some then once your over the bubble you will always loser why get close to bubble then take a chance of blowing it

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great topic! Bubble play is huge; having a healthy stack on the bubble that allows you to open and 3bet/put pressure on opponents is a great way to build a big stack. Often times a few spots away is obvious and that isn't the time to really take advantage. Say 90 players cash, taking a few risks or applying pressure w/ 20-40 spots out of the money is a good time ppl also tighten up and you will get lot credit for aggressive maneuver's! This is something I have been working on a lot in my game the past year. Look fwd to discussing more!

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
da 90% of the players will tell you that you must play aggressively in the bubble, but it is a mistake to do this when you have already accumulated a large amount of chips .. you must take into account that it is the effort of several hours of skill to foolishly risk your Stay in that tournament, I can advise playing tight aggresive close to the bubble ..

This guys is the exact reason why you should push and be more aggressive toward the bubble. Don't go crazy and start jamming with marginal hands, like KJoff, but pick more spots to press the players like him who are dead set on making that money. Beware of the short stacks who will be shoving more often with almost any ace. You should do this especially if you have a larger stack; 75 to 100 blinds for sure. Even 50 blinds is a good size to press with.

If you haven't read Gus Hansen's book, I recommended doing so. He has good advice in there on this exact subject. It is also a good read.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have a medium stack, try not to play with the big stacks because it could be dangerous. Try to make pressure to the little stacks but keep careful
very good advice. dont jump in to a fight that can KO you, but pick on the smaller stacks that may want to just get in the money. Just be careful with the smaller stacks that may have nothing to lose and are looking to double up.