On the bubble

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AFAIK, ICM tells us to go for the big win 1 step at the time.
The first step is ITM.
So, short stacked in the bubble is a game of waiting, not throwing chips around in order te become first.

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very often I’m in dead last near the bubble but that’s only because I know that a double up is always just a hand away. No need to panic.

I’m not saying go down to your last chip but hang in there. As long as you have enough left where an all in win will put you into the final few, there is little need to scrum around for a few extra blinds.

In the last day I got 2nd in a 100 man tournament where I was essentially in last from 23rd on and today I won a 54 man tournament where I was in last with 14 players left. Just hang in there. If you have about 2 orbits of chips left you’re still in it at all times.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you prefer? Take a risk stealing blinds or wait for cash??
It's all depend on a lot of variable factors.

1. Your image
2. Game flow
3. Your stack size
4. Game Format
5. Your hand
6. Your edge
7. Min cash in relation to your roll

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play to win but making it to the money is not bad. I take a risk stealing blinds if I have high card.

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you prefer? Take a risk stealing blinds or wait for cash??

This completely depends on your chip stack at the time of the bubble. If you have a big stack definitely take the blinds from the small stack. If you have a small stack and know you are going to cash if you wait then I say wait and make the cash. Definitely if you are going through a downswing even if you end up mincashing it is always nice to see a cash no matter how much it is for. If your feeling good about your hand its also not wrong to go for it on the bubble especially when you have been running good.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sure to win lots of chips exploring the fear of those who want to get into the money

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want more than to just steal blinds. I want to have the best hand and win a big pot with it. Blinds amount to very little forward progress. I'm trying to win the whole game, not just the blinds at the bubble.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sometimes winning blinds near the bubble is what will give you the stack you need to make a run for the win after the bubble.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes winning blinds near the bubble is what will give you the stack you need to make a run for the win after the bubble.
I agree at the bubble you will typically be winning the blinds and antes so around 2.5BB. That is a great result. Many hands do not have a 2.5BB expectation.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This spot is pretty situational. I'll tend to open wider if I notice my opponents are folding often. This is also easier when you cover the opponent after you. Min cashing is nice, but making a deep run is nicer. I like finding good spots to raise depending on my position, stack size, and opponents instead of blindly playing tighter or wider as it gets closer to the bubble.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually depends on my stack size. If its below tournament average I'll usually only play premium hands. If I'm higher up in the chip count I'll try to steal blinds from the smaller stacks if I can.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a good player will have both modes.

it completely depends on your stack relative to the players left in the hand.

if you are one of the medium stacks and the players on your left have big stacks and aren't afraid to mix it up, then you need to kind of wait for a premium hand or for the bubble to burst.

if you are one of the big stacks you should apply bubble pressure relentlessly and cheaply. min raise as many hands as you can if your stack can take it and the players at your table are concerned with min cashing. you could literally min raise 100% of hands and just fold everything except QQ+ and AK to jams and print money.

if you are one of the shortest stacks then you have to figure out whether or not you are likely to blind out. eventually when you are low enough your equity from a min cash becomes the main value of your stack, so you should fold almost everything if you think you could outlast other players without busting. for instance you have only 5bb but there are several players with 5-10bb and there are still 5 tables left....you might actually be able to just blind down and wait it out and essentially you are giving up any chance to win the tourney. but if you have 5bb and everyone else has 12+ bb then they are essentially going to wait YOU out and they will most likely win this game....so you should get it in a reasonable spot where a double can still get you out of trouble.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on my stack size.

I prefer to steal the blinds.

But if you have ~20 BB and min raise (now you have 18 behind) players will shove on you to test you and try to get you to fold because the money is close.

So, maybe I fold and try again. Min raise and now I have 16 BB behind.

If I do this a couple of times and fold preflop (and the blinds are going up) I will rapidly approach 10-15 BB when I am shoving and putting myself at risk.

Good luck !

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
There are many factors that I can take into consideration depending on my stack, if I have enough and the cards I like I take risks, if I'm short and I need to get over the bubbles and the cards I like I take a risk, but as I said are many factors and It depends on the importance that I give to the tournament

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on tournament structure a lot.
it's not possible to wait in turbo, and you will be pushing few times per bubble.
but in normal speed tournaments - don't try to steal a lot, try to find steal options with normal hand and good lick :)

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Many times I prefer to wait for the bubble to explode, sometimes it is dangerous to play at that moment, but sometimes that risk is necessary, I suppose it will depend on the tournament and the situation that arises