BU open-raise 3.5bb

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of the thousands of bb defends I have made when the SB opens 3.5x + I'd say less than 5% have had a strong hand TTs+.

I defend my bb to 3.5x opens with all but total garbage, because most of the time this 3.5x open is an off suit Ace. Could be A/Q - which is strong - but I have just as much a chance at winning the pot with K/9, T/J o, 5/6 etc etc.

In other words - who opens 3.5x is nearly always overvaluing their hand - or trying to convince the bb to fold pre because they don't have confidence in their post flop play. Just my 2 cents.

Prime example a big stack player on my right just opened 2 hands back 2 back in the SB 3.5x.

First hand I defend with 6/7 off because I'm thinking he is being overly aggressive with his big stack.

Flop is quite nice. 456 rainbow.
SB bets out 3/4 pot - I call. Turn is beautiful, 3 total rainbow board - my nuts.

SB checks I cbet just over half pot, SB spazzes out with a jam - and I happily call.
Thanks for the double. He turns over 88, and river is clean.

Very next orbit folds to him again and he opens 3.5x. I call with my speculative Qd/Js off.
Flop is Qc5h3c.
I check, SB cbets half pot I call.
Turn is 7s, I check, SB barrels half pot again leaving himself about a pot size bet on the river. I call.
River is Ks. Final board Qc5h3c7sKs. SB jams, does he have KKs, does he have K/Q?

I doubt it - I think he either has an under pair like he did before or some weird bluff.

I call - villain turns Ac/5c bottom pair missed flush draw.

Isn't TAG players using the bigger sizing by the way? Or they just never slow play their tight ranges and that's it...
I consider myself TAG and ALL of my bets range from 2.3x to 2.5x I do not make my big hands 2.5x and my smaller hands 2.3x. I randomly bet between this range so nobody has a clue what my range is.

The TAG players are the reason why I win in MTTs. They only bet (large) when they hit. Easyyyyyyyyy money.
You must be talking about TAG level 1 players. Agree - but TAG players above level 1 aren't as straight forward.