Bluffing when you know you shouldn't

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to read your opponents at the next rournament without bluffing in the whole tournament.this will help you understand when you could bluff or not

D

Dymond

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get when people know they shouldn't do something but do it anyways in poker. If you're that undisciplined poker is probably the worst pastime you could have.

L

lexi7503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i often find myself doing the same thing sometimes i know i should just get out and dont and end up kicking myself for it

A

alexandro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can cost you lots of chips doing so

A

alex trinh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i start bluffing after a few losses that cause me to tilt

C

Comix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all and Happy easter,

I recently got put out of a tournament because I just kept bluffing one player in a single hand until I was all-in and lost. I was doing very well but the chip leader then gobbled up all of my chips.

I broke 2 rules:
- do my best not to play against the chip leader
- when I know I'm beat, GET OUT!

It's like I was watching myself fail and didn't do anything about it. Has this happened to anyone else? I guess I really need to work on my discipline!

I think we all do this or have done this before.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, thats what happens when you play in auto-pilot and do not analyse the exact situation.

One of rules I have put in front to myself is to know, be aware what I want to achieve with the move I make. It may sound foolish but to me it isnt. It helps a lot to discipline the bets I do or refuse from doing.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playful doesn't know how to bluff successfully needs someone to teach her

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BlackJesus - 'be aware what I want to achieve with the move I make'.

I try to do this although because of my lack of discipline, like you say, I shift into auto-pilot. I need to live in the moment and not the future. Right now it's hard to do.

oriole

oriole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why wouldn't you want to play against the chip leader? What difference does it make?

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the reason why I would not want to play against the chip leader is that I could loose all of my chips. If I play against someone who I have a chip advantage, if I loose, I can keep going forward.

P

peeetiee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually did this in my highest tourney I've played. Guy called me down with pocket 4s even though there was an ace on flop which I was representing. I had KQs but he wouldn't give it up. Left me pretty crippled in the tourney. Was a $1050 that I won a seat into for $55
Yo man, if U got nothing U have nothing. So don´t complain. In Pokerschool they say don´t bluff, not to consider often!!! Especially on full ring tables. Someone has something. As - I think - Bob Marley said it- U can fool some people sometime, but U can´t fool all the people all the time!!!!
Stick to the cards....

P

peeetiee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi !!
I play poker for (a little) real for 6 months now. (1 - 2 games a day, I have to work and 2 kids). I did that in the beginning to make sure about my calculations. Now I know mostly I´m right. So I don´t do this any more. Only excepion: when it´s cheap and I want to get caught bluffing.
So I can get them next time when I have the nuts.
So- keep it tight!!!!

S

Spripe

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yo man, if U got nothing U have nothing. So don´t complain. In Pokerschool they say don´t bluff, not to consider often!!! Especially on full ring tables. Someone has something. As - I think - Bob Marley said it- U can fool some people sometime, but U can´t fool all the people all the time!!!!
Stick to the cards....

For sure, but in a $1050 tourney people respect bets more and it just seemed wrong for him to call down with a low pocket pair. I keep a tight image when I play bigger games and this would have worked on 90% of the players in the tourney given the exact situation. But yea not bluffing there would have been best it turned out

Gulas

Gulas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read that keeping a tight image is important for bluffing. They're more likely to believe the stories you tell by betting.

But overall, they say bluffing is not even necessary to win, and it should only be done if you got some experience on the game.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
In cash game format of the game this is fine to do and means you can easier get the most out of a strong hand later as they'll think you're bluffing (I know you post this 'tournaments').

In tournaments, this can be you digging your own grave, pure luck... Disgusting LOL

C

ComplyorDie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The trick to bluffing don't bluff weaker players you might be able to get a good player to fold a J10 on a jack high board if the bets are sized right but even then beware most people won't give you credit if you've been overly aggressive and running over the table previously.

that J high board to a weaker player he's all in with J5 even if you have a good semi-bluff opportunity

I think lots of bad calls are made when people take a stand to a good player frustration sets in, after all, if you've been pushing these guys around now they're getting pissed.

it's a tough call most CB's are bluffs if table image is taken into account and you've played an aggressive game eventually you'll get called down lighter it's setting your self up for a big pay off but also setting your self up to fail at a big bluff.

play small ball, steal/bluff lots of little-uncontested pots or when you have a good stack to outplay a little.

towards the end of a tournament, you have to bluff/semi-bluff to win if you play fit or fold poker you'll get eaten by the blinds.

if you don't bluff and just play solid cards anyone paying attention will fold to your raises you'll define your range so well that when the big stack decides to call your raise with 78s and you miss he's outplaying you.

it's all a fine line and a world of contradictions that comes down to, timing tells, table image, bet sizing, M-zone, player types etc

As for bluffing when you know you shouldn't, it can be a fine line between winning and losing just try not to get your whole stack in on a big bluff

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually you should have a bluff range. Most exceptions to this rule are adjustments to the opponent, so unless you exploit an excessively loose player, you can usually put a bluff or semi-bluff in any situation where you bet on value.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very often the chip leader simply does not know how to fold, and it is often advantageous, but for this you need to have something better than the senior hand with a kicker :)

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's probably one of the things that really separates skill levels of players. Quitting the bluff is a hard thing to do because you'll likely end up just losing all the chips, but if you know the v has the hand you're trying to bluff you have to fold or you'll end up being in a position where you could be pot committed against a nut hand and lose everything.

Frogger

Frogger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
imo sometimes the hardest player to beat at the table is yourself. Part of the brilliance of poker as a game is it makes you analyse yourself on a deeper level than most games, emotionally and intellectually. That's why i think the worst enemy at the table can be you. Learning to fold is a skill in itself and also not being too hard on yourself when it all goes wrong.

Boltun

Boltun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes I can't stop not to bluff and just fold, and each time you catch yourself in this

J

Jordenandrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That happened today in the Sunday splash was half way there going against the chip leader I had nothing then I'm out at 134 place then again I just get bored and go all in play some bingo

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bluff when I know that there is no nuts in the proverb and when the muzzle is squeezed by a stack, it would be dear to look at 1 map of tern and the river

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hahahaha has seldom happened to me, I try to watch her movements from before the flop and after him, bluffing until getting all in is too much, two bluff bets is enough to realize that her hand is so devilish as to fold it so it is better retreat before an aggression