Bluff question.

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got moved to a new table and on the first hand I was bluffed off a pot by a player who took great delight in showing everyone his bluff.

About 6 hands later looked like he might be trying it again. I have a hand that could beat a bluff but nothing else. My question is "is that person more likely to be bluffing because he did it once to me and it worked or is he less likely to be bluffing because he showed the first bluff. My gut tells my less likely but I wanted other peoples opinion.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's more likely to be bluffing. Some people almost never bluff unless it's at least a semi-bluff. Before knowing anything about your opponent, he could have been one of those people. Now, you know he is not one of those people. Therefore, you have to assume it's more likely he's bluffing.

For a good discussion of this, see Mersenneary's HU SNG ebook (it's free, I think). In particular, see the section on "Bayesian Inferences and Developing Information".

Clearly, this opponent wants people to know that he bluffs in the hopes that he will get paid off bigger later when he has a real hand. But that doesn't mean that future bets are less likely to be bluffs. If you know this guy bluffs, you have to assume some of his bets are, well, bluffs. More so than a person you know nothing about.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having fulfilled the bluff and showing the cards - your opponent probably wanted to mislead you for future hands. To more accurately predict the bluff of opponents, it is necessary to observe and play with them for a long time.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes a player shows his bluff to cheat other players at the table

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to look at the statistics of the opponent's game, the dynamics of the game at the table, the stage of the tournament and the stacks of players. Will he bluff a second time is a rhetorical question:cool:. The presence of blockers also need to be considered for decision making.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think he thinks that by doing it once and you would fall back into that, usually that kind of moves are made more than once so that the player can fall into a kind of trap or to always be able to steal your blind or any bet that he does, that happened to me recently in a tournament that I was playing, and just when I thought that they were making me bluff, it turns out that he had a strong hand and I win, maybe also the 2nd attempt is doing his reading of how bets against him if he makes you a 2nd bluff

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
He showed that he bluffed for next time to fall into his trap and pay him, only then he will have a strong hand ...

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just play each hand as it comes ........thats the best advice i can give:)

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's not right to say, you should gather more information to better analyze your opponents.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I show my bluffs to get more action calls later on.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i show my bluff also , i want ppl to think i'm bluffing when i have a strong hand and then BOOM

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many players use the strategy of showing their bluffs to want to mentally establish in you that they will always be bluffing when in reality they could play you from there with strong hands. The best thing is to play your cards and know how to choose when to enter with these. Good luck at the tables !!!

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
If you are talking abt online and freerolls there are a lot of fishes that go allin with 34 or
57 and so on
Otherwise in live poker and high $$$ that shouldnt happen
Agree?

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed that this is the style of play they have, to take the chips in this way ..aggressive ,even with brute force. Many do not have patience and they can put down to the last to pick up your 3BB. With such players there is no guaranteed style as there is the turn and the river ,and the turn and the river in poker stars is always surprising.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are planing poker not caching bluffs just play normal poker end when you have it if this guy bluff he well pay you off

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer not to bluf.Every time I bluf ,the vilian seems to know my hand.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got moved to a new table and on the first hand I was bluffed off a pot by a player who took great delight in showing everyone his bluff.

About 6 hands later looked like he might be trying it again. I have a hand that could beat a bluff but nothing else. My question is "is that person more likely to be bluffing because he did it once to me and it worked or is he less likely to be bluffing because he showed the first bluff. My gut tells my less likely but I wanted other peoples opinion.

The hand and how it was played needs to be analyzed to give an answer to this.

If you had a hand that could beat a bluff but nothing else, then he probably had you beat. Unless it was a big pot then its nothing to dwell over.

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Message-10

He showed the cards thank you so that all the players at the table could see that he had made a bluff and tried to play with him when he has a monster with him more people can enter the game than with the person who plays the title.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy the bluff as much as the next guy, but i don't show if it gets thru. want to keep the other players guessing. So you got like bottom pair and he puts a bet in on the river, is it a bet cause that's the only way he can win the pot or because he has something worth value betting. I guess your analysis of previous hands would determine the answer.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
re-raise

You can re-raise it and see if it sends you allin or folded and if you call then you have a position to control the pot.

Dchoyt82

Dchoyt82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

it does depend on stack size too, but also If someone bluffs and shows it and than bluffs again a short time later, in Most cases it means they have a hand.

However there's alot of reverse psychology in poker, so you really never know. Hav to go with your gut.

hope this helps!

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Revealing your bluff it uses a short-sighted strategy game. In poker, a player's reputation is important. Disclose their bluff can either fish or a very powerful player who is confident that even with the player's reputation is often bluffing can outplay his desk.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If I am at a super aggressive table and I win a bluff I will show it. And not bluff again and hope someone calls. I usually do not show though and someone will have to really get me upset by stealing too much to do that.