Biggest mistakes in MTTs

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest thing I see from people.....is that when people are short stacked they wait and wait for premium hands to shove with and by the time they get a good hand they can barely cover the blinds and they get 5 callers.... Harrington on Hold Em calls it first in vigorish....when your stack is starting to get short and can still do damage to people if they call and lose and no one else has yet entered the pot if you get a hand like kj suited or id even gambled with hands like 78suited shove and hope you get lucky if someone calls or you will still the blinds do that enough and when you do get a premium hand someone will call just to look you up and boom aces

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#Number one mistake I make is taking to many risk when I find myself with a big stack. Playing a little loose in the beginning is a good way to build your stack, but be cautious.

I have also displayed this leak lately. It is also quite devastating mentally to have a strong hold on the tournament and then to watch it disappear.

eqgh5uea

eqgh5uea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
-Being too tight and not calling with pockets when you think they both haev aces and are still afraid of their kicker being hit. Chances are they have a weaker kicker than your pockets.
-Not challenging the chip leader at every chance you get.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finding yourself regestering to two more MTT as you have just sucked out near the bubble. Only to realise its 2am and you have work in the morning...
best newbie post ever !!!!

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there's some good advice in this thread, and also some terrible advice. Good luck with trying to figure out which is which :p

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say Cbetting flops that are likely to hit opponent's calling ranges - JTx 2suited etc. I have this problem.

also a lot of hands I don't even pay attention to preflop action .. :(

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been an MTT reg for a while. There are lots of mistakes I still see players make online.

I would say the BIGGEST one, is limping (just calling) preflop when it is incorrect to limp. Let me give you an example.

Lets say the blinds are 1,000/2,000 and you have a stack of 25,000. It is very late in the tournament. You pick up KJ offsuit in early position. So many players will not be comfortable enough to shove here. I think that the optimal play here is either to shove or fold, NEVER limp when you only have 12 BB's. I rarely ever limp when i have less than 20 BB's. Im either in shove or fold mode. In the situation i mentioned above, deciding whether to shove or fold depends on the stack sizes of the rest of the players in the field. I would say that if its a turbo tournament where everyone is short, then you can afford to fold and look for a spot where you are in late position to shove your chips in (Shove spot). But if its a regular mtt and you are considered a short stack, then you have to ship in your chips there with KJ.

Moral of the story...never limp with less than 20 BB's. It is incorrect to do so.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you've reached the final table, mistakes are amplified due to the money at stake.

+1, the more money at risk, the bigger the potential mistake.

I would say that one of the biggest mistakes I personally made was that when I started playing live. I was playing it just the same as if I was online. When I started the transition I left so many chips on the table by not considering things like my image or tells enough.