Biggest mistake in my poker career

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want him to fold and I want to take the pot so I go all-in. I know my hand on that flop is not too strong that's why I squeezed.. He might think I'm weak if it just a raise and outplay me because he got me totally covered.
It wasn't a squeeze play.

D

dabestman1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you're playing to be just to be in the money, you'' lose the majority of the time

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you have any previous information on this guy? Is he a TAG or LAG player? One can assume hes not a complete donkey since getting that far in a decent size tournament. What in your mind made you think you were ahead?

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not worry! Treat this situation like a lesson for future games! Good luck!

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which part was the biggest mistake?

Limping in with Ac5c w/ 20 BBs?
Calling 4x BB raise w/ only 20 BBs?
Jamming middle pair into PFR and no redraws?

LOL.
My exact thoughts.

If you are going to build a limping range in this spot off 20bb, it should be with a linear range of hands. That is, very strong hands such as AQ+/TT+ and hands that play well postflop and you can defend against a non-allin raise with, such as 98s, T8s, J9s, 87s. Regardless, having any type of limping range here requires specific table dynamics and the blinds need to be attacking limps at a high frequency. A hand such as A5s which isn't good enough to r/c or l/c plays better as a 2-2.5x raise here.

No clue what you're trying to accomplish by 2x pot shoving the flop, are you merging to look weak and induce a call from AQ/AK or something lol? Wishful thinking if so as A5 doesn't need a lot of protection vs your opponent's checking range and is never getting called by worse. Going 2x pot here is awful with any hand.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was no reason whatsoever to play like this and it had reasonable consequences.
But its not like you alone do mistakes like these. The only thing unique about you in this case might be the tournament buy-in price. Heck, who else has busted so foolishly in a tournament like that?