Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Big stack strategy

Do you change your play?

when I am the chip leader I use the Big Stack Strategy, BSS,:) trying to push as much as I can withoth exposing too much. Very aggressive

Pirlouit

Pirlouit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm keeping my excentric playstyle regardless of stacksize. Chipleaders who play too aggressive are kinda predictable and somewhat easy to double up from, imo.

And I think it's really important to keep your calm and not let a huge stacksize get to your head, whether it's yours or not.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressive some hands, but there are many hands that don't call for aggressive bets just because I have a big stack. Say you have AA in the BB and it folds to the SB. He has stole my blind before, and this time he tries the same here. So do I play the hand aggressive or passive. I'm sure not raising pre-flop with that hand. I want as much out of them as I can get. But after the flop, I may change up. GL to you

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the stage of tourney im in... If i have monster stack around the bubble ill play aggressivly, but not dumb. u have to relize the small stacks are just gunna jamm u, so pick your spots... if im chip leader at final table super agg and force mental mistakes. ( but i dont get there as often as i like)

anonimalit

anonimalit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah im play very agressive but only good showdowns

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep playing how are you playing not modify much your game, since almost all that are chip leader playing much more aggressive but it's a big risk all be aware of that and take away a lot of chips , that if you play lower pairs if put a lot of chips and try to link some better set and hands clear this is easier to put lies when you have many chips compared to others

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to push a little more, but for the most part iom the same. I play well short stak i love to rebuild if i played that way all the time i be a world champ. lol

zeliduuur

zeliduuur

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very aggressive,it is the key to success at the final table .

B

butterstoch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
opening with wider ranges and pressuring the mid stacked players. small stacked players dont like to be pushed around and usually ship it which makes it an awkward position with a wide range

S

Sergei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you normally would! The chip lead does not give any privileges except the number of chips. But this issue is temporary.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on the situation.
Chip leader early to Mid in a MTT?
Late in a MTT?
At a FT?

A lot depends on the average chip stack and my opponents chip stack relative to the average. If I have a monster lead over 2nd I may change my play a little. But if my lead is not that great, I won't shift gears much.

At a FT you really have to be conscious of the value of your stack and pay jumps (ICM).

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In my opinion there is no need to be that agressive if there is like 2k more people in tournament.
Guy who is C.L in early stage of tour. usually gets crashed after 10, 15 mins with that play.
So i don't change my play in that situation.
My opinion :)

pkrale

pkrale

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put more pressure on the pplayers with lower stacks and try and intimidate them with my chip stack.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I became a cheap leader, my strategy change bluntly. My bets start be more carefully and I played more loosely. But I see often guys make a mistake when start play VERY agressive especially vs small and middle opponents. Why did they play such stupid? Everyone can get Aces or simple very strong hand on the flop, and this agressores continue play with bluf because of get cheaps to the bank already!
Don't be donk, play smart. Make poker interesting.

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually I play in my poker, but sometimes I use moment for lite 3bet, float postflop, and have pressure for small stacks.

P

PokerProMove

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you need to be a bully . specially when the bubble is approaching

orsino12

orsino12

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it depends how many players are left. I'll play slightly more aggressive than usual until it gets down to 5 or 6 tables and then the aggression starts to go up the deeper I get, and at the final table my aggression escalates with every player knocked out as long as I'm still chip leader.

T

theprince61

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
honesty. i would not change much. you wanna stay chip leader as long as you can. bet sizes are key. in witch starting hands you play stay tight play only hands you been playing. just bet different. 3 bet more. force smaller stacks to call you. when there hand is weaker. after the turn card comes thats when you can be more agressive. gotta make sure your hand is best before making them go all in to you.

J

Jalapano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on where you are at in the tournament. A lot of people are saying to play really aggressively this shouldn't mean run wild and play everything. I like to relax and enjoy my stack, and pick my spots for gaining more chips.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to muscle those desperates.

This is the right time to be the table bully with intelligence of course.

M

mya name

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
aggressive. attack attack attack. doesn't matter if they know you are just being a bully in obvious spots-they can't/won't call off the rest of their chips/whole tourney without a hand.when I play against a huge stack...I know what they are doing,but it doesn't matter if I can't call.oh,you're trying to stael my blind?well ok I guess-I have 2/7 off.so keep doing that until I CAN call and double up.