Bankrolll MTT

elmansky

elmansky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how can I learn to control my bankroll?
I always go out of my limits and go into big minuses, this is my disadvantage in the game of poker.
My HM2 shows a good schedule, but due to the fact that I can not keep my bankroll, I immediately lose.
Help me, what should I do?
:eek:

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you already know:
limit your buy-in to 0.5% of your bankroll
statistics will tell you if your skills are good enough

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really just have to try stick to bankroll management. It is a lot easier said than done, but if you stick to it you will notice a difference. Also, play your most profitable tournaments/cash tables - don't bother playing things you don't do as well in as you will just be losing money. For me I shouldn't play cash games as i always lose a lot of my bankroll playing these.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you already know:
limit your buy-in to 0.5% of your bankroll
statistics will tell you if your skills are good enough

I wonder about this sometimes, because let's say you have 100$, then following this method you would be playing .50$ buyins. Which is one boring because the prizes are not impressing, but hard to imagine how someone would be able to move up even if then won at a reasonable rate.

J

jrx1908

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You have to make the bankroll management as noted above. And work your psychological, only this path to success.

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder about this sometimes, because let's say you have 100$, then following this method you would be playing .50$ buyins. Which is one boring because the prizes are not impressing, but hard to imagine how someone would be able to move up even if then won at a reasonable rate.

One method I read to make grinding more fun is to reward yourself when you win a tourney by taking a couple shots at higher stakes. Have to keep everything within reason though.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play only where you win. do not climb into big limits. take your bankroll seriously. good luck.

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to never play with anymore than 5% of my bankroll maximum in an mtt. Even 5% is a bit high, but sometimes you feel like taking a shot you know.

However, playing with 10-20% of your bankroll in an mtt is a huge risk and often leads to tilting away the rest of your bankroll trying to win back the 20% of it you lost.

Being an MTT grinder requires a very strong mindset because sometimes you an go 7-8 tournaments in a row without making the money. A lot of people don't have the nerves to be able to deal with these swings in bankroll so they stick to cash games where they can win money a majority of the time. But playing MTTS does have advantages. For example, if you go on a sick run you feel it a lot more than you do as a cash player. The wins are much bigger and rewarding.

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to be able to control myself and not jump on a higher limit if it is negative , good luck;)

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally stick to a buyin of around ~1% of my BR for MTT's. Haven't gotten me into trouble so far!

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have my own rules for bankroll which vary slightly on different sites and games. Find what works for you and stick to it.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read articles about bankroll management and psychology of poker...Good luck...

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker pros suggest to have a bankroll of 100 or 80 buy-ins , that means if you're playing 5.5$ MTT , as a preferable bankroll you need 550$ and a little bit below is good as well .

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of discipline. Ranges, folds, bankroll management. I don't know what else to say, you need to have discipline, no secret. Set how much you are playing per session, how many sessions per day, and when you are done you are done.

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This will come out a bit harsh, but as the post above pointed out, you need to realise that bankroll manegement is a skill. It is not less important than hand reading, position awarenes and patience. It basically means that if you can not keep a BR, you "suck" at poker. You already know what to do, so prove to yourself that you are a good player.

No offence

Sprockett

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always go out of my limits and go into big minuses, this is my disadvantage in the game of poker.
My HM2 shows a good schedule, but due to the fact that I can not keep my bankroll, I immediately lose.

Hey. The minimum that anyone needs is 100bi. Depending on how many people are playing and what is the format, the amount of bi may reach up to 1000bi.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to follow the 1% rule but, tend to play higher it is hard to play for 3 or 4 hours to win $10 dollars

A

atemde

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
safety play dont rise all controlling stacks on hands and try asseses chance of card on table. And more luck but luck u must please God .

P

PokerTraveler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's about mindcontrol.
Sometime's play"exprensive" tornaments. and too much "wait card" in them
I think one time, after next loose big part of bankroll in cooler you'l make decision to play much more smarter

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most players are not winning players. Are you a winning player at the site and limits you are playing MTTs? Do you have an edge on most of the field that will allow you to win in the long run rather than the occasional cash?

I ask this because if you are a losing player then you will lose money. I am sorry but 10,000 buy ins is not enough. You will eventually lose it all if you play long enough.

For a reasonably profitable player then 100 buy ins is recommended by most. You can always drop down if you take several losses in a row before cashing big, it will happen to some profitable players as well.

Look honestly at your game. Track your results. After a year of tracking are you winning or losing?

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should definitely change your attitude to poker and to yours bankroll management. Bankroll Management is one of the most important thing you should fix before even playing. So make some document about "earnings" and "loosing"stick to it. Never be too greedy to higher your earnings per day. Follow it play like that 1 year on the next your you can change your strategy. Never change it during the mid month because it can fail you big. (It will become more gambling). Good Luck

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bank roll management is most important. It doesn't have to be perfect, improvement will yield great results. Avoid bankroll tilt at all costs.

F

Frankie40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There has been some great advice in the answers above. I too have struggled with my bankroll management and am now certain that every time I vary from the advice that has been given, I blow all the positive building I have have done by going up higher than my 1% BR buy ins in MTT's. I do admit I get somewhat bored which is what has caused me to vary in the past, but now I am being far more disciplined and really appreciate all the advice that is given here.

O

one3one

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously do not take this as a "OK so I can play a massive tourney and a ton of penny tourneys!", but one that helps me feel comfortable playing 1 or 2 buy-in levels above what I'm rolled for is going off average buy-in vs. literal # of buy-in's for your BR.

For example - I have ~$500 roll and play 125 buy-in rule, so I'm rolled for $3.30's and less. However, I'll jump into occasional $4.40's and $5.50's since I'm also playing a lot of $1.10's and $2.20's. My average buy-in stays below what I'm rolled for, and I'm not doing this constantly... I do it when I what to put in a solid session and a solid $4.40 or something is right in the schedule, or if I have the opportunity play some really great $5.50's I normally cannot play.

Keeps things interesting and I plan on doing this as a grow my roll even more.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right, building bankroll is a slow process.
Alternatively, you can buy in 10000$ and play 50$ MTT's.
The problem is that this only works if your skills are good enough for the 50$ MTT's, if not: you'll loose your entire bankroll. If this risk is acceptable, or you know you have the skills: nothing to stop you from depositing 10000$.
It's entirely up to the individual.
Main message: know the risks you are taking, if not, you are likely to loose.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management