Bankroll. When to move down in stakes ?

N

NLstudent

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
General bankroll advice is to have 100 buyins. That means if i play 1$ tournaments i need 100$ bankroll.
But if my bankroll keeps decreasing, when i should move down to 0,5$ ? When i lost half of it (have 50$ left) or when ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, what your goal with the bankroll management is. If you are a professional player, moving down is not desirable, because your hourly winrate will suffer, and you need money to pay your bills. So for them they need a bankroll, which is large enough to keep playing the same stakes and also regularly withdraw money without a significant risk of going broke. Which will typically mean far more than 100 BIs for MTTs.

However if you play 1$ tournaments, you are not a professional player, and then it mostly depends on, how important it is for you to not deposit again. For me personally I have always used 100 BIs as the minimum required. So for me I would stop playing 1$ MTTs, if I had less than 100$. This is however fairly conservative, and an alternative approach is to say, that you must always have at least 100 BIs for the limit lower than the one, you are playing.

So if the next lower limit is 0,5$, you can play 1$ games, as long as your have more than 50$. Its also pretty reasonable to move gradually between limits. So the closer you get to 50$, the less and less you should be playing 1$ games, and the more and more you should already be down to 0,5$ games. And conversely the closer you get to 200$, the more and more you might be playing 2$ games, assuming this is the next limit.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think if you get less, you should regain your loss and play for the same amount to get back the amount, but you lose a lot of time no less

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
General bankroll advice is to have 100 buyins. That means if i play 1$ tournaments i need 100$ bankroll.
But if my bankroll keeps decreasing, when i should move down to 0,5$ ? When i lost half of it (have 50$ left) or when ?
The key to the bankroll question is our skill level-if we move down do we have the skill to beat the lower limit to replenish our bankroll and then move back up- However if we do not have a skill advantage moving down just means we keep losing slower now

T

Tomiveres

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it depends on tournaments , if you play big field tournaments you should have a minimum of 100 buy ins for the limit , but if you play small field tourneys you can play with 50-60 buy ins ,
It depends on how comfortable you fill .

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The key to the bankroll question is our skill level-if we move down do we have the skill to beat the lower limit to replenish our bankroll and then move back up- However if we do not have a skill advantage moving down just means we keep losing slower now
This is a very important point. A bankroll is supposed to be an amount of money dedicated to poker, which protects a winning player from going broke due to short term variance. But poker is a zero sum game with rake, so per definition there have to be more losing than winning players. And for that reason, unless you are a proven winning player, it makes more sense to think about a poker budget rather than a poker bankroll. So for playing 1$ tournaments for instance maybe the plan is to deposit 20$ every month, when you get your paycheck, until you have a track record saying, you are actually winning. And if you lose those 20$, then rather than moving down to 0,5$ tournaments, you just take a break for the rest of the month. Or play some freerolls or play money games.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
unless you are a proven winning player, it makes more sense to think about a poker budget rather than a poker bankroll. So for playing 1$ tournaments for instance maybe the plan is to deposit 20$ every month, when you get your paycheck, until you have a track record saying, you are actually winning. And if you lose those 20$, then rather than moving down to 0,5$ tournaments, you just take a break for the rest of the month. Or play some freerolls or play money games.
Solid advice that, it’s how I began live. Played 2 weekly games till I cashed before a played cash, built up my bankroll and never looked back from there. Online however definitely needs more restraint and rigidity.... Something I don’t have as yet alas, but dropping a stake I personally wouldn’t feel as beneficial unless your really struggling. I’d suggest tightening your game and/or finding a variant like 50/&0 you can multi grind to raise your roll and give you additional shots at your larger field games maybe....

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just to add, I talk the talk but don’t walk it lol. I’m currently trying to do the online grind thing as the returns from the comfort of your home can be massive, I have always favoured live cash, small mtt’s and home SnGs. I want to be lazier lol

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also tend to prefer to go off average buyins, so if we playing with a 100 avg buyin rule with a role of $100+ we can sometimes play slightly higher than $1 say maybe the $2 games and offset with a cpl 0.50c games.

Example if you play 4 tables you could play 2x $0.50, 1x $1 game and 1x $2 game and the avg buyin will still be around $1.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Even if you move down in stakes, the same leak will take place, if you don't make changes to your game. The changes is your decision depending from the strategy you want to follow. Maybe you have to change game type, for example to a faster or a slower game. Or the problem might be deeper and you need more experience.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it all depends on your level of play. If you feel like you can play $1 tournaments, keep playing, but if you're not sure about your abilities, lower the limit!!!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Try to simply make these calculations in percentages. That is, you just risk only 1 percent out of a hundred. I think it is not difficult to calculate. If your bankroll is one hundred dollars, you play in a tournament for $1. If your bankroll is 80 dollars then you play the tournament for 80 cents. And so on.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
However if you play 1$ tournaments, you are not a professional player, and then it mostly depends on, how important it is for you to not deposit again. For me personally I have always used 100 BIs as the minimum required. So for me I would stop playing 1$ MTTs, if I had less than 100$. This is however fairly conservative, and an alternative approach is to say, that you must always have at least 100 BIs for the limit lower than the one, you are playing.
Saying someone who plays $1 tournaments is not a professional might be true for us in relatively high income countries, but someone in developing country could easily make a living playing $1 MTTs or even freerolls to be honest.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Saying someone who plays $1 tournaments is not a professional might be true for us in relatively high income countries, but someone in developing country could easily make a living playing $1 MTTs or even freerolls to be honest.
There are certainly people in lower income countries, who live from or have a significant side income from online poker, but I dont think, any of them limit themselfes to playing only $1 MTTs. This makes no sense, since games are still soft even at somewhat higher limits than this, and game selection is also better. Below is an example of someone, who is likely a microstakes pro given the amount of volume, they have put in. In their last 8 games this player did actually include a $1,1 MTT but also some more expensive buyins up to $7,5. And they are likely not concerned with how to manage a $100 bankroll, given that they have won more than $100k during their "career" on pokerstars ;)

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it makes sense to move down the stakes when you have lost 40 -60% of your Bankroll.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management